Polk Legend SDA - real tech or gimmick loober?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The old polk SDAs were that way- a crosstalk cancellation function. It definitely expands the perceived soundfield, and some of the old polks from that era were some of the best smooth sounding speakers around. They used coated paper and soft domes, often passive radiator alignments, and were quite decent even by today's standards.

So, I'd bet that they're actually pretty good, if a little bit wacky and with their own flavor (where we often like to think of speakers as neutral).

I hated all the SDA series. The soundstage is totally destroyed. It's bigger .. but not 'right'. And the drivers are cheap .. really cheap. Stamped steel frames, 2 piece magnets. The glue that held the magnets together would give out and the back magnet slips and jams the voice coil. Early models used Peerless tweeters .. but then they OEM their own (cheaper). More $$ spent on marketing than R&D. Safe to say I'm not a fan :)

In typical internet fashion...

I have zero direct relevance to your answer, yet a tangentially related experience.

In the 1980s when I was new at this dysfunctional hobby :D I read Stereo Review etc. The Polk SDA was explained how it works. I was inspired to build a very poor immitation, using full range drivers, as a proof of concept. Yes, it works. A few years later, realizing that I should avoid anything to do with building wooden boxes, I bought four Radio Shack Minimus 7 speakers. You could set them up to do the Polk crosstalk cancelation thing. Aside from wiring the two outer speakers to the difference signal (L-R), it is critical the speakers be about 6 inches center to center (per pair), this was to be equal to the distance between one's ears.

My only bragging rights here are that the Minimus 7 turned out to be a "classic," well worth the $50 each they cost. Alas, I sold mine somewhere along the way.

How do you cancel the crosstalk of your crosstalk cancellation signal?

I watched the video where the polk representative explained that people making mixes are under the impression that people will hear the right channel with their right ear, and the left channel with their left ear. I can't imagine a mixing engineer being so ignorant as to think that's the case. Also, the mixing engineer doesn't hear it that way unless s/he is wearing headphones.

I haven't heard the polk speakers, and perhaps they create some interesting effects. There's a certain elegance/simplicity to the design, which can achieve crosstalk cancellation at any distance (along the center line between the speakers). That was well thought out. I suspect the crosstalk of the crosstalk cancellation signal to be a real issue. I haven't heard any talk of addressing it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.