Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Micro Synergy bookshelf speaker using WG-10
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2019, 11:05 AM   #1
AdamFelix is offline AdamFelix  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Micro Synergy bookshelf speaker using WG-10

After many different speaker setups I have come to the conclusion that I can make room for a small bookshelf speaker with a directivity of 60x60.

Imagine a Micro synergy loudspeaker using the Eminence WG-10, roughly the same size as the Eminence WG-10.

Could it be done?

Pros and cons?

Eminence WG10 1" High Frequency Waveguide 70x60 2-Bolt
Old 12th September 2019, 11:33 AM   #2
kipman725 is offline kipman725  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
I think you will need to make it a 3 way as your mids will not be able to play low. I did a similar project modifying an off the shelf waveguide and it worked very well:
BM-D446 on PH-4220
I didn't finish writing the project up but the finished speakers which add a 15" bass reflex for <500Hz get great reviews every time they go out. Vocals are noticeably better than non point source systems, especially live vocals.
Old 12th September 2019, 12:14 PM   #3
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

The Eminence WG10 has a width of 11.6", so it will only hold its horizontal pattern of 70 degrees down to about 1230 Hz. Is that acceptable for you?

I do not see the advantage of adding midranges to the horn. A compression driver already can reach down to the frequency at which the horn starts to lose pattern control, at which you can cross it to a 10" woofer or a horizontal array of two 5" woofers.

Last edited by TBTL; 12th September 2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12th September 2019, 12:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBTL View Post
The Eminence WG10 has a width of 11.6", so it will only hold its horizontal pattern of 70 degrees down to about 1230 Hz. Is that acceptable for you?
I suppose it can't be any other way?
The speaker cannot be any bigger than a small bookshelf speaker.
It's more the transition that worries me. How do you make a good soft transition from 70 degrees at 1230 to below?
If anyone have ideas, chime in :-)
Old 12th September 2019, 12:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipman725 View Post
I think you will need to make it a 3 way as your mids will not be able to play low. I did a similar project modifying an off the shelf waveguide and it worked very well:
BM-D446 on PH-4220
I didn't finish writing the project up but the finished speakers which add a 15" bass reflex for <500Hz get great reviews every time they go out. Vocals are noticeably better than non point source systems, especially live vocals.
What about some sort of backloading slots like this only way smaller 3 way horn loaded mid top - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 4

The speakerfront can't be much bigger than the waveguide.
Old 12th September 2019, 12:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

And, interesting build, kipman725!
I haven't seen it before. Looking forward to pics and thoughts of the final result :-)
Old 12th September 2019, 12:40 PM   #7
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

Making the woofers fire through openings at the edges of the baffle can stretch the frequency at which pattern control is lost downwards a bit. It makes it more difficult to get a seamless (constant directivity) transition to the horn though.
Old 12th September 2019, 12:40 PM   #8
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Bushmeister and myself did something similar with a larger waveguide. It worked quite well. You need to be careful not to make the ports for the bass injection too large as they impact the tweeter’s dispersion. Lots of lessons learned in that thread.

A Bookshelf Multi-Way Point-Source Horn

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12th September 2019, 02:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBTL View Post
Making the woofers fire through openings at the edges of the baffle can stretch the frequency at which pattern control is lost downwards a bit. It makes it more difficult to get a seamless (constant directivity) transition to the horn though.
YES! Something like that would be a good option. How big should the slots be? How do I calculate something like this?
Old 12th September 2019, 02:24 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Bushmeister and myself did something similar with a larger waveguide. It worked quite well. You need to be careful not to make the ports for the bass injection too large as they impact the tweeter’s dispersion. Lots of lessons learned in that thread.

A Bookshelf Multi-Way Point-Source Horn

I have been looking at your thread. The waveguide is just too big. I need to scale it down. I don't know if it would work. What should I look for in a woofer?
I could mount 4 small cones close to the throat as possible? Would that be the right way to go?

Micro Synergy bookshelf speaker using WG-10Hide this!Advertise here!