Crossover questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please check out the attached picture

I'm curious how the components work?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• dynaudioS40.png
    dynaudioS40.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 154
The woofer has a damped 12dB electrical network (ie- coil plus zobel), and the tweeter has a 1st order electrical with ladder delay plus some padding and a tilt down via the CR filter.

The CR in front of the circuit 15uF/22 ohm lends to having a rising system impedance without it. With a CR across both the woofer and tweeter, this would not be the case, save for a lowpass induced rise or an impedance peak at Fo in lieu of the xover. Having that CR directly across the amplifier terminals should likely have a higher power resistor in tow to keep it from over heating. I would think those 2 components could be omitted as all they are doing is changing the impedance of the system. Typically an LCR is used for this purpose to suppress xover impedance humps, and far reduced bandwidth flows through the circuit if a LCR vs a CR is used.

Later,
Wolf

The woofer has a damped 12dB electrical network (ie- coil plus zobel), and the tweeter has a 1st order electrical with ladder delay plus some padding and a tilt down via the CR filter.

The CR in front of the circuit 15uF/22 ohm lends to having a rising system impedance without it. With a CR across both the woofer and tweeter, this would not be the case, save for a lowpass induced rise or an impedance peak at Fo in lieu of the xover. Having that CR directly across the amplifier terminals should likely have a higher power resistor in tow to keep it from over heating. I would think those 2 components could be omitted as all they are doing is changing the impedance of the system. Typically an LCR is used for this purpose to suppress xover impedance humps, and far reduced bandwidth flows through the circuit if a LCR vs a CR is used.

Later,
Wolf

This, of course, is correct. Not a deep notch EQ in the tweeter leg, but a delay lattice. I should have used the zoom (and not watched Euro qualifiers at the same time)...

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
If the RC in the woofer circuit was impedance compensation (Zobel) then it would be pure first order. However the resistor is 4r7, so whether this is a 4 or 8 ohm woofer may make the difference there.

The tweeter has a non-flat impedance so it is more difficult to tell.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.