Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Advise on which DIY build - Wavcor Ardent, Bordeaux, or other?
Advise on which DIY build - Wavcor Ardent, Bordeaux, or other?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2019, 11:38 PM   #31
jamespie is offline jamespie
diyAudio Member

AH you guys are the best! I'm learning so much! I'm certainly leaning toward the Linkwitz now. I realize that I was reading reviews about his earlier design. This thing has been recently updated! I need to learn more about why they're constructed the way they are. Need to learn the engineering behind them.

Right now I have Definitive Technology's BP9080X that I do love, which are bipolar. But these Linkwitz are DIpolar.
Old 12th September 2019, 11:46 PM   #32
gabdx is offline gabdx  Canada
diyAudio Member

the bw 802 is a closed box, with a special home designed mid range

the woofers are also designed and built in house and reflex.

Unless you use the same drivers and the same very heavy curved massive cabinets, you are not even close to the sound of the b&w 802...

in the b&w line I preferred the 805 , and they can be too much, very revealing and detail heavy speakers, emotive too...
Old 12th September 2019, 11:51 PM   #33
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespie View Post

Right now I have Definitive Technology's BP9080X that I do love, which are bipolar. But these Linkwitz are DIpolar.

Dipolar is a significant upgrade from the typical commercial Bipolar design from the mid.s-up.

-an exception to this is the unusual (and objectivly poor) Distributed Mode Panel loudspeaker. Those can actually sound pretty good (..again, from the mid.s up.) These sorts of designs are inherently Bipolar.

Last edited by ScottG; 12th September 2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old 13th September 2019, 12:22 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Dipolar is a significant upgrade from the typical commercial Bipolar design from the mid.s-up.
AH! This is good to hear! I read that dipole speakers are made to create a null at the listening position, why is this good?

I'm heavily leaning to toward the Linkwitz now. But the higher powered amp he recommends has shot up in price from the price he has listed on his website!

AT528NC 8-channel Amplifier (200W RMS per channel) $4,595.00!!

Can anyone recommend a good alternative that still good but less expensive??
Old 13th September 2019, 04:33 AM   #35
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

No, it makes null's to the sides of the loudspeaker. Depending on the wavelength diffraction can be "nulled-out" (..that would other-wise wrap-around to the back of the loudspeaker).

Like the Bipolar design: you'll need plenty of room between this loudspeaker and the wall behind it.

..time to visit the amplifier section of the forum (assuming you've settled on the LX..). You'll need a fair bit of output per channel (multiple channels), particularly for the subwoofer section. My guess is that you'll be looking for one of the better (class D) n-core kit's (..with at least 200 watts at 8 ohms). There is also the Modulus-686.. (if you like to solder).

Last edited by ScottG; 13th September 2019 at 04:48 AM.
Old 13th September 2019, 05:03 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

I have been reading about them. It's hard to cipher through what people tell you; especially when those same people say they can hear differences in cables. I was going to build an 8 channel Hypex UCD400. Seems to be the best option! The NCore and the Modulus are cool by such low distortion. But it's hugely unnecessary. UCD400 already has distortion well below audible levels

Last edited by jamespie; 13th September 2019 at 05:20 AM.
Old 13th September 2019, 06:34 AM   #37
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...It seems like you're an advocate for DSP instead of passive cross over. Do you have and recommendations?
I only recommend a solution that I believe will be suitable for the person involved. I don't use dsp for the time being and I would not be interested in it. If that should ever change, first I'll give Charlie's LADSPA plugins a test drive. Frankly, I hardly need more electronic junk around my desk, not to mention significant expense.
Old 13th September 2019, 09:01 AM   #38
andy19191 is online now andy19191  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What do you recommend for a DSP then?
What is appropriate for me (general purpose or graphical hardware rather than dsp hardware) will almost certainly not be appropriate for you for reasons given above. What is appropriate for you will depend on your beliefs, what you find attractive in DSP hardware and the level of support required when it comes to deriving and implementing the filtering. If the products from minidsp lack the performance you are looking for then more upmarket ones from B&O or Hypex might be the place to look. Although I think that minidsp might be using B&O hardware? If this is the type of thing you are after then you would likely be wiser to look to people that are enthusiastic about it.

It would seem you are unfamiliar with open baffle speakers which have an enthusiastic following among some speaker DIY folk but far from all. They have a tiny presence in the commercial side of home audio mainly among a few boutique providers and almost no presence in professional audio. There are good reasons for this. Perhaps you will like them but I would suggest it would be unwise to build something of limited appeal that is big and expensive before establishing for yourself first hand that you like what they do.

Advise on which DIY build - Wavcor Ardent, Bordeaux, or other?Hide this!Advertise here!