Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Choosing the right 5" midrange
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2019, 09:10 AM   #11
MIJK is offline MIJK  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I'll try and make my wish list a bit shorter and easier for you to read. One of the reasons behind my pickyness about driver choice is that I want the design to be able to perform to the highest standard.

Intended use:
Pure midrange with a HP somewhere between 300-500hz and LP somewhere around 3khz. Would be used as M in a TMWW 3-way with 110-120cm x 28-35cm high and wide baffle. The tweeter might be put in a WG, but not decided yet.

What I want:
Low distorting driver capable of high spl cleanly. Preferably 5". Preferably high sensitivity and 8 ohm. Neutral uncolored sound. Preferably a roll off without severe break up. Easy to implement in a design with regards to crossover design. Preferably not a metal membrane. Would be crossed to 2*8" woofers, so I think high sensitivity is more important than usual.

A 2*4" MTM might be an option, but my concerns with such a D'Appolito design would be lobing issues, particularly when standing up. But, on another side, I'm not critically listening when standing up so this might not be an issue at all? Drivers suitable for the intended use are a lot bigger when 4" drivers are a possibility.
Old 6th September 2019, 10:38 AM   #12
KCHANG is offline KCHANG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJK View Post

Intended use:
Pure midrange with a HP somewhere between 300-500hz and LP somewhere around 3khz. Would be used as M in a TMWW 3-way with 110-120cm x 28-35cm high and wide baffle. The tweeter might be put in a WG, but not decided yet.

What I want:
Low distorting driver capable of high spl cleanly. Preferably 5". Preferably high sensitivity and 8 ohm. Neutral uncolored sound. Preferably a roll off without severe break up. Easy to implement in a design with regards to crossover design. Preferably not a metal membrane. Would be crossed to 2*8" woofers, so I think high sensitivity is more important than usual.
The frequency range you intend to use the driver for seems to be where many "full-range" or "wide-range" drivers excel. Here is one 5" full-range driver that sounds pretty good and has an OK efficiency (90dB):

Tang Band W5-2143 5" Paper Cone Full Range Driver 8 Ohm

Here is a 5" mid-range driver that has been used in a "FAST" arrangement, a thread on which is in the Full Range forum here. Its 94dB efficiency is nice.

PRV Audio 5MR450-NDY 5" Midrange Neodymium Woofer 8 Ohm
Old 7th September 2019, 07:47 AM   #13
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Quite tricky to find an 8ohm that fits all criteria
Maybe a Dayton RS paper kevlar 5". Great looking, good value, highly regarded
Or Seas Curv or the more expensive coated paper ones
Accuton C158 (with hybrid magnet) is a nice driver, but has breakup to deal with, Dayton Epique 5" also.

Or a slightly different approach and reduce size of mid?
A la Salk Song 3
Something like the Eton Hex 3", with SB Acoustics BNAC 8"
Old 7th September 2019, 07:53 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Back to original criteria, cant go wrong with an all satori TMWW 3 way. High sensitivity etc.

Edit above shd read NBAC not BNAC

Last edited by Bill poster; 7th September 2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 7th September 2019, 08:16 AM   #15
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Why do you need/want an 8 Ohm midrange driver? The 2 x 8" woofers will most likely set a much lower impedance level anyway. Worrying about the impedance and efficiency of the midrange driver only makes sense if you already know the woofer(s) and box size, which will be the limiting factor the impedance / efficiency / bass extension game.

That said, I'd recommend you to also look at units that don't come from the "HiFi corner". Faital or B&C speakers are worth a look, maybe also others. How about a Faital M5N8-80: FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | M5N8-80 ?
Old 7th September 2019, 10:05 AM   #16
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

How about this one?

Overview

Note that FR and distortion are measured at 100W.
Old 7th September 2019, 10:40 AM   #17
jtgofish is offline jtgofish
diyAudio Member

I still think the best sounding 4-5 inch midrange is the old Peerless K040 .They have all the traits you are wanting.A reconditioned pair of them might do.I have the Satori and they are very good but also a bit too smooth and a bit lifeless compared to the Peerless.
The Audax could also be excellent.The Aerogel drives tend to sound very natural.
Old 7th September 2019, 10:59 AM   #18
celef is offline celef
diyAudio Member

Think sb12nrx with foam surround looks very good for midrange use.

However, me myself is jumping between mtm, tm and a small 3-way and just can not decide what works best for me. At first mtm sounds big and beautiful but soon lobing issues starts to be annoying. The small 3-ways sounds at first very open with wide dispersion but i think i hear some phasey issues, and in direct comparsion to a well constructed 2-way (1”+6” in my case) they offer not much of improvements, so i find the 2-way to win in the longer run. At least in my setup in a rather small listening room and only 2 meters to the speakers

Last edited by celef; 7th September 2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 7th September 2019, 03:27 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post
Why do you need/want an 8 Ohm midrange driver? The 2 x 8" woofers will most likely set a much lower impedance level anyway.
Tube amplification? Curious myself..
Old 7th September 2019, 08:33 PM   #20
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

What I want is a lifelike, uncolored and dynamic driver capable of quite high SPL capabilities, that preferably is quite sensitive but not excessive as it is to be mated to one or two 8" woofers. Preferably not excessively priced, ie up to or around 100usd/100euro.
Quote:
..I want the design to be able to perform to the highest standard.

-you do realize that this isn't realistic, yes?

If I was doing something similar (2x8", 1 mid., paper, decent efficiency, etc.) on a budget, I'd ditch the idea of 8 ohms nominal and shift to 4 ohms - though targeting an easy/flat/corrected 4 ohms (which is still easy for most any amplifier - including the "tube" variety).

Maybe the Monacor MSH 116/4 with 2 SB Acoustics SB20PFC30-8 connected in parallel, bass reflex.

The Monacor depends on the filter though, I'd like to see it closer to 2.6 for the low-pass max freq. (..for better off-axis performance):

MONACOR MSH-116/4 (Mid-range 4", 4 Ohm, 120 Wmax)

-power compression (depending on the high-pass for the mid. assuming something near 400 Hz) will almost certainly be limited by the woofers, NOT the midrange.

Last edited by ScottG; 7th September 2019 at 08:40 PM.

Choosing the right 5" midrangeHide this!Advertise here!