Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Powered speakers _ are they phase coherent by design ?
Powered speakers _ are they phase coherent by design ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2019, 07:13 AM   #61
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginetto61 View Post
Hi maybe ... but i am buying a cheap microphone to try to measure some FR in the listening position in the actual listening room. As a start ...
I understand that when the FR is reasonably flat is a very good thing.
You have a very expensive head with two ears ( and one brain) and you're gonna buy a cheap microphone!?
Old 12th September 2019, 07:16 AM   #62
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Lol. What about a cheap calibrated one?
Old 12th September 2019, 07:34 AM   #63
ginetto61 is online now ginetto61  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
I have found that a speaker with high level, low order non-linear distortion but low linear distortion, is much better than a speaker with low non-linear distortion and higher linear distortions.
From your words it seems that a speaker with both linear and non-linear low distortion is not possible
My feeling is that commercial speakers have usually high level of distortion (i do not know if linear or not) especially in the low Hz range.
When i see people prasing the bass from a speaker with a 4" woofer i feel like there is something wrong in this statement.
Simply because most of the listeners have been never exposed to a speaker with real bass ... i have ... a big JBL and i have never heard more real drums Unbelievable but very telling about what bass is.

Quote:
This doesn't mean that I can't hear non-linear distortions, but I don't worry about some of them and I do worry about others. Mostly I like my amplifiers to keep their distortions simple and small. Speakers already produce simple non-linear distortions and I can hear them but I don't care as much, as long as other things are correct.
i think it depends a lot on which kind of music you listen to, the distance from the speakers, the room ... personal preferences.
Imho is important to isolate the very low Hz from the rest of the range.
My ideal speaker is a two box design ... with a bass box and a upper box dealing with mids and highs.
The very fundamental and still open to debate question is the cut frequency between bass and satellite ... i am very very undecided on this issue.
It is my recurrent nightmare ... really.
My target is a 3 ways speaker with conventional drivers. I like a lot ribbon drivers ... but the very good ones are not cheap at all ... Unfortunately
I see 3 ways full range speakers crossing low using cone mids (e.g. about 120 Hz) and other crossing high using dome mids (e.g. about 400-500 Hz).
I really do not know which way to go.
But what i know is that i really want the bass in its own cabinet mechanically decoupled by the satellite. That is a very sane design choice. At least imho of course

Last edited by ginetto61; 12th September 2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12th September 2019, 07:50 AM   #64
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
From your words it seems that a speaker with both linear and non-linear low distortion is not possible
I'm not saying that. However there are issues that I used to believe were harmonic distortions that I now understand are something else. It continues to surprise me how while setting up a speaker I can cause things like a cone hitting the stops, and it is not as bad as I used to expect.
Old 12th September 2019, 08:07 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
You have a very expensive head with two ears ( and one brain) and you're gonna buy a cheap microphone!?
i see your point. I love instruments. I should have studied acoustics instead of chemistry that scares me deeply.
At an audio fair i met a technician who told me a story.
He had the opportunity to visit a small theater in Milan (do not remember the name) with a particularly good acoustic treatment.
He was shocked about how just a small portable radio was able to fill the room with sound.
I visited many home listening rooms of friends of mine ... someone with a very expensive system. No one was acoustically optimized. I know ... it is a non sense ... but that is.

Last edited by ginetto61; 12th September 2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12th September 2019, 09:17 AM   #66
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But what i know is that i really want the bass in its own cabinet mechanically decoupled by the satellite. That is a very sane design choice. At least imho of course
That's a good thing, I isolate the tweeter too; also the components of the crossover ( wires, too ).
Old 12th September 2019, 09:22 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
I'm not saying that. However there are issues that I used to believe were harmonic distortions that I now understand are something else. It continues to surprise me how while setting up a speaker I can cause things like a cone hitting the stops, and it is not as bad as I used to expect
i do not think i understand well ... do you mean a cone bottoming out ? that is a disaster leading to damages.
Personally i have problems mainly with the lower audio range ... it is very challenging to get a very good bass. Like playback a pipe organ Toccata e fuga in all its glory. Very very difficult. But also very very nice. Exciting.
Old 12th September 2019, 11:08 AM   #68
phase_accurate is online now phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Toccata e fuga
If you mean BWV 565 - that one doesn't even go super low. But it sounds impressive when there is enough bass in terms of quantity.

Regards

Charles

Last edited by phase_accurate; 12th September 2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 13th September 2019, 06:12 AM   #69
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase_accurate View Post
If you mean BWV 565 - that one doesn't even go super low. But it sounds impressive when there is enough bass in terms of quantity.
Regards
Charles
Hi ! yes indeed ! this one here one of my favourite tracks for pipe organ

YouTube

are there tracks that go lower ?
Anyway, more in general i think that bass Hz are a bad beast ... they need their own "cage" like a tiger ... and above that cage the much less ferocious mids and highs.
To put a big and powerful shaking woofer in the same box with mid and high drivers is a real challenge for vibrations control ... not necessary
I like the bass box plus satellite arrangement a lot ...
imho the sound becomes immediately clearer
Thanks and kind regards,
gino

Last edited by ginetto61; 13th September 2019 at 06:14 AM.
Old 13th September 2019, 08:38 AM   #70
phase_accurate is online now phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

"Lord, save Thy People" by Widor goes very low, depending which organ it was played on. It is organ , combined with brass and drums and depending on the capabilities of the reproduction chain - what is intended to sound radiant - is sometimes quickly turning into sounding harsh.

Prelude and fugue on B-A-C-H by Listz is sometimes also very bombastic - and threatening for some peole.

Regards

Charles

Powered speakers _ are they phase coherent by design ?Hide this!Advertise here!