Speaker Build Advice Please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The only components I have are the speakers. I would like to know what is the best way to set them up, meaning which amp or amps I should get, if I need crossovers etc..

I have a 10 x 10 bedroom where I would like to set these up to use on my computer. I thought that it would be great to put these to good use and build something with them, So I wanted to find out what is the best way to build them or if to try building them at all. Basically I just need a lot of help and the best advice :D....

Thank you for your response and your time :)

I attached photos of the drivers, i hope they are good enough...

Attachments

• 20190908_202444.jpg
    20190908_202444.jpg
    893.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 20190908_202505.jpg
    20190908_202505.jpg
    768.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 20190908_202518.jpg
    20190908_202518.jpg
    814.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 20190908_202717.jpg
    20190908_202717.jpg
    908.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 20190908_202735.jpg
    20190908_202735.jpg
    848.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 20190908_202741.jpg
    20190908_202741.jpg
    954.4 KB · Views: 49
Whether to do this or not depend on what you want to achieve. If you want hi end sound then this is not the way to get it. If you want to build something because you like making things and think it would be cool to try, or want to learn hands one, then yes, go for it. Whatever the case without any measurement gear it will be difficult to do much. Assuming you aren’t going to have what you need to measure Thiel small parameters, which you would need to design an appropriate box, I would suggest you look up cheap/easy open baffle designs. Tell us more about what your goals are and maybe you’ll get some suggestions.

found a few people who said they pulled these Yamahas out of organs. Suggests they are full range. You could cut some holes in foam core sheets, tape them in and see what they sound like. If you need a cheap amp a dta-1 from parts express sounds decent and is dirt cheap. Yamaha seem to have a genetic inability to make crap so they might be useful for something.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Drivers appear worthy of using. Could not find any measurements on the yamaha, appears to be suited to a 60 litre sealed cabinet. It would make sense to perform impedance and FR measurements, otherwise guesswork. I had a chance to work on a midrange unit that looked like Saba, was a favor for a buddy and it turned out to be quite an awesome vocal performer. Vintage stuff can do quite a bit if you know how to design crossovers.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 49
Whether to do this or not depend on what you want to achieve. If you want hi end sound then this is not the way to get it. If you want to build something because you like making things and think it would be cool to try, or want to learn hands one, then yes, go for it. Whatever the case without any measurement gear it will be difficult to do much. Assuming you aren’t going to have what you need to measure Thiel small parameters, which you would need to design an appropriate box, I would suggest you look up cheap/easy open baffle designs. Tell us more about what your goals are and maybe you’ll get some suggestions.

Thanks you for your response...

I know for sure the quality won't be the best, but I wanted to use the Yamaha for a sub and the two smaller ones for satellites if possible.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Thanks you for your response...

I know for sure the quality won't be the best, but I wanted to use the Yamaha for a sub and the two smaller ones for satellites if possible.

Not really suitable for use as satellites. They have tiny voice coils, hence that 3 watt stamp on the back of the magnet. Put 10 watts though them full range and they might last a couple of minutes. I take it you only have one of the woofers? The cost of a capacitor to limit the high frequency getting to the Casio driver might be enough to get slightly better drivers.
I get my cheap drivers by upcycling old All-in-one home theatre sets I pick up by the road or at the tip/dump or friends who would rather buy new than repair
Something very much like those were in my very first computer speakers, driven by a 5 watt stereo chip amplifier and I managed to blow them up in a week

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.