Slim tower / floor standing speakers - What to search for

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I'm brand new here and have been trying my best to search the forum and read threads to not start yet another help me pick speakers thread. But I feel like I'm a bit lost.

I see a lot of "go with a proven design" which i would love to. my problem is a lot of those threads with links are either old (discontinued drivers), or use vendors outside the EU, and I don't know enough to find alternatives - and that complicates things a bit.

I am aiming for slim-ish speakers (lets say around 20cm wide +- a bit) about 35cm depth and I think the threshhold for the height would be around 90-100cm. I'm really looking to avoid having to use a seperate sub, as space is kind of limited. - But that limited space should make it easier to have enough bass I hope? :eek:

They will be used for movies and music. I would like something that stands on the floor directly, as I see no reason to build a small speaker, then put it on a stand. The living room is not big - they will be placed next to the tv, and not very far from the couch, around 2-2,5m.

For my "office" I have some DALI300's that are going on 25 years, and I find them quite good. They bring a lot of oompf for their size.

I'm assuming driver technology and what not has moved on since then, and so keeping them in the office and building something new would be great fun for me, and hopefully sound as good or better than those :)

Good value is of course always welcome, especially as it is my first build.
I am willing to spend around 400 dollar for a set, for the internal bits.

I have a router, plunge-tracksaw and heaps of woodworking handtools available to me, and the urge to use them. :) Other half has modular synth stuff, so we've got the electronic tools covered also.

As mentioned in the beginning, I really would like is to make something that is already proven to be a good combination/size and so on, but I'm a bit lost how to search for what I'm looking for at the forum.

If anyone could point me at some builds that is doable in the EU, I would greatly appretiate it. Or even just suggestions for what searchwords would be helpfull. :)

Thanks!
Katrine

two sites to peruse, both with solid designs on them & EU based:

DIY-Loudspeakers

Humble Homemade Hifi - Loudspeakers

Humble Homemade Hifi - Archive

www.audioexcite.com >> Loudspeakers

To the best of my knowledge these are the biggest EU diy speaker sites. I can't tell you which fit your budget as I'm not well versed in vendors or pricing there, but there will e options here. Also to help with your budget; bear in mind that some of these designs use what would be considered by many objectivist-minded folks as overkill crossover parts - in some cases you may be able to substitue iron-core inductors on woofers, or cheaper film caps to the boutique caps that are prescribed.

Personally I would build one the audioexcite designs, Prestigious Two Monitor DXT, or Classic Two M5, and build them as a floorstander by extending the cabinet to the floor and adjusting the box tuning if necessary.

Hi, thanks for the suggestions :)

I have been drooling a bit at the troelsgravesen site, but I feel like they're a bit over my budget. Might also be I don't understand how to read the prices. A ton of these expressions are completely new to me. The components in the crossover seem to be hidden and just lists as "included in kit" - so I'm not sure how I'd go about "downgrading" the bits.

The Prestigious Two Monitor DXT - funny enough looks a lot like my own grabbed out of the air idea i had with elliptical enclosure backside... So that one gets instant Ooo factor :) It's still a bit on the high end of my price bracket, but I think it's the best candidate so far, especially because the writeup seems very helpful. - How to go about tuning a box I wouldn't know, though - if made as floorstanding model.

Wolf, thank you for the suggestion :) but I am not a huge fan of the baffle bit sticking up over the enclosure so unfortunately that one gets fired on WAF factor (in this case, me! :sly: )

Thanks again for the help, I'll have to ponder it for a while. :scratch:

Reactions: 1 user
A man's speakers should exceed his hearing ... or what's a credit card good for?

To support a great 8" woofer, this design is 2" wider and $80/speaker more expensive than your original goal.

Suggestion:
A modest size 3-way using 3-drivers. H43.8” W10.6” D16.7”

Two high performing configurations:
1) 1" dome + 5" midrange + 8" woofer (250-300Hz crossover blends mid + bass) Target Design
2) 1" dome + 6.5" midBASS + 8" woofer (120-150Hz crossover separates mid-vocal range from bass)
-- larger midbass + larger crossover parts pushes price above $300/speaker

Truncated pyramid beveled baffle top significantly reduces edge diffraction distortion. Basic braced box, plus 2x-3x thick front baffle with beveled cuts, and chamfered rear baffle boards.

SB_Acoustics has an 8" woofer SB23NACS45- 4/8 with a ribbed aluminum cone which pushes the main cone breakup to 4kHz, and this significantly reduces distortion with a simple crossover circuit. Ported 2.5cuft box with 3" diameter x 10" long port tuned to 25Hz produces -F3 = 30Hz

Top drivers with medium grade crossover parts ~$300 per speaker.

$38 SB21SDC-4 = 1" dome tweeter
$67 SB15NAC30-8 = 5" midrange
$102 SB23NACS45-8 = 8" woofer
$80 passive crossover parts
=======
$287 = $207 drivers + $80 Xover

Bennic large value capacitors on midrange and woofer are used to significantly reduce crossover cost.

Attachments

• small room 8x5x1.jpg
    small room 8x5x1.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 1,064
Hi, thanks for the suggestions :)

I have been drooling a bit at the troelsgravesen site, but I feel like they're a bit over my budget. Might also be I don't understand how to read the prices. A ton of these expressions are completely new to me. The components in the crossover seem to be hidden and just lists as "included in kit" - so I'm not sure how I'd go about "downgrading" the bits.

The Prestigious Two Monitor DXT - funny enough looks a lot like my own grabbed out of the air idea i had with elliptical enclosure backside... So that one gets instant Ooo factor :) It's still a bit on the high end of my price bracket, but I think it's the best candidate so far, especially because the writeup seems very helpful. - How to go about tuning a box I wouldn't know, though - if made as floorstanding model.

Wolf, thank you for the suggestion :) but I am not a huge fan of the baffle bit sticking up over the enclosure so unfortunately that one gets fired on WAF factor (in this case, me! :sly: )

Thanks again for the help, I'll have to ponder it for a while. :scratch:

Just an addendum to my earlier post to say that I would also heartily recommend Wolf's speaker, if you search for it there were raving reviews at some of the DIY events on our side of the pond. I'll let Wolf correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the AMT used is closed-back, so you could box it in to match the woofer compartment. Could even use the extra space to house the crossovers or some sort of sand-filled compartments.

In terms of modifying the The Prestigious Two Monitor DXT to a floorstander - I am sure some people here would be happy to help you with that, it's one of the few changes that can be made to a design without major reworking. Not to mention, the author of that website posts here and indeed has posted a design thread for it:

Seas U16RCY/P + Seas 27TBCD/GB-DXT = Prestigious Two – Monitor DXT

so may be willing to help directly.

Hello again :)

I'm changing my mind daily, who ever knew deciding what to diy could be so hard! :eek:

LineSource: I think unfortunately that the space we have here is too small - it literally is just 2-2.5m from tv to couch. And from the way you explain things, it sounds like I'd have to know what I am doing. ;)

I really like the faceted fronts, though, and I'm curious if you can "ruin" a speaker not designed for it, by adding them?

morbo (and wolf_teeth): If the Nephila could be built with a closed top, that might be an option, although I've had no luck finding the Airborne RT-5002 anywhere european.

Now I'm back to pondering if maybe building a replacement for my old monitors would be a better overall plan, as I use those every day for several hours. - and if what i build turn out not so awesome, shove em into the living room on stands. :eek:

the prestigious monitor dxt, and studio 101 mkII from troelsgravesen best candidates for me i think - but really kind of higher price than i hoped.

The search and pondering continues. :) Thank you everyone for the inputs

Last edited:
You could certainly replace your office monitors, and if you do, Jeff Bagby's Tributes would be a similar design with more modern parts that are readily available in the EU. How big an upgrade it would be I can't say, it looks like the DALIs used 80s-vintage vifa drivers possibly? Which is certainly not a bad pedigree.

Some other designs you could consider that *should* be a bit less dear than the first suggestions:

Zaph|Audio
NOMEX-mkII
Speedster - undefinition
Amiga - undefinition

Assuming all parts are EU available... I am kind of guessing at prices here based on relative NA pricing, so you'll have to do a little legwork to see what fits or doesn't.

I'm really looking to avoid having to use a seperate sub, as space is kind of limited.
There are benefits to building a pair of 3-way speakers large enough to generate an optimal stereo soundstage down to -F3 ~30Hz.

1) Stereo bass down to 20Hz has been produced in low distortion, high SPL since 1982 on CDs, DVD-As, SACDs, and 5.1 movies.
2) With stereo woofers any out-of-phase bass information in a true stereo (acoustic) recording is reproduced properly at full level, adding immensely to the perceived width and depth of the room in which the recording was made.

Single Subwoofer
3) Most people with normal hearing can identify the difference between stereo vs. mono bass. Stereo bass has phase for location.
4) At frequencies below 80Hz most people with normal hearing cannot isolate the physical location of the woofer.
-----Expert listeners can isolate location of woofers down to 60Hz by focusing on impact harmonics, port noise, upper harmonic distortion.
5) Not being able to locate the subwoofer is a good cost simplification, but summing low bass into mono degrades true stereo recordings.
===

Troels Gravesen diy speaker website it the best source of quality consturction education. His "Illuminator Monitor" and floor standing Illuminator illustrate the top edge bevel cuts which reduce diffraction distortion.

An 8" woofer requires a 26cm wide cabinet. The beveled baffle cuts help slim the visual appearance. Can you compare a 26 vs 20cm cabinet width in your room? Sheets of paper taped to the rear wall.

Hi Katrine,

for a cheap but quality system, I would have a look at the ScanSpeak Discovery line. Easily available in Europe, high quality and good results. A 2-way d´Appolito floorstander with 2 15W/8424 drivers and a R2604/8320 should fit into your budget and size limits, and should also allow to buy decent crossover parts.
This is just a quick shot - could you give a little bit more information, what type of music, what levels, which electronics used?

All the best

Mattes

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Do keep in mind a slim floorstander is inevitably a massloaded transmission line (unless sealed) Let me throw out something from left field… Pensil ML-TL with Alpai r11ms or A10.3/p. Or SEAS FA22 in a sealed box (50-75 litres or so)

20cm wide, 35cm depth, 90-100cm.

With 18mm plywood (and 1 brace) that is a gross ~55-58 litres.

dave

First of all, thank you all for taking the time! :worship:

I may forget some of what I wrote last time so.. here goes again!

morbo: Nomex 146 mkII is definately a candidate, it's a kit (at least most of it), it's local, it's the right size. The price is a bit... well... troels :D

The amiga's look to be about the right size also, and it looks like I can get the parts. I'd need to figure out what actual parts to put in the cross-over, not just the values, but I have a feeling I can find help here, yay!

Wolf: Awesome! that of course makes the nephila a candidate, both in regards to that it's ok to close the top, and also that you found the tweeters in the uk... never saw that site before.
Is it ok to change the front baffle around the tweeter? or might that screw with it.

LineSource: I'm unfortunately limited to 22cm as an absolute max width, there is a door on one side, and an opening into a hallway on the other side. If they are any wider, we'll walk into them. :eek: We both appretiate that a bigger speaker has a better chance at better sound, but I can't swing it.

I realize I may have asked for the impossible in my original post, so maybe a woofer is a way to go. (at a later date)

a3cervo: I think that one is a bit costly for me, the nomex might be a better fit, if I go the way of troels builds.

planet10: I actually looked at the pensil's and other magically slim full range speakers :) I'm really curious about them, but my stoneage brain is doubting that they will "bring it" :D
Please do enlighten me if possible! :) - especially if there is some commercial ones out there I might have a chance to find somewhere to listen to.

Mattes: "A 2-way d´Appolito floorstander" - I googled and perhaps I am dense or my google skills fail me, but that yields a lot of different speakers.. is it a method of design or what am I missing?

Electronics - well, I'm affraid to embarass myself in this company, but I repaired my NAD c350, replaced aaaall the electrolytic caps in it - the power caps were literally rattling as i pulled them out. Bone dry and brown goo everywhere inside the amp.
Now it's like new again :) - amazing what 80 euro can do! (105 c new ones, no more 85 c)

Thats actually what started this mess I got myself in to, the DIY bloodthirst! The NAD is a "spare" amplifier, and hence the search for some speakers, and putting it on movie/living room duty.

Music - I listen to very different things... A lot of electronic stuff, Phaxe, Boss Axis, Kuba is good examples of what I like in that genre, melodic/progressive, and old people friendly tempo :D
I also love me some good old foot-stompin' soul wrenching blues.
I also like... not sure what the genre is called really, but emiliana torrini's fisherman's woman album. - And similar.
I like classic rock stuff too, pink floyd, lou reed.. but I tend to be picky, not entire albums. :)
Love discovering new music, but I'm terrible at looking! :eek:
No death metal though, thanks!

Right.. so back to my thoughts so far.

Contenders would be..
Floorstanders:
Nomex 146 mkII - expensive side, but the kit (only missing woofers) being available locally really appeals. (And hopefully it's a good speaker! :))

Nephila's slightly cumbersome to get the bits for, but as far as I can tell, a good price if that uk site works out.

Amigas - as far as I can see I can get the tweeter and driver with no problem. Cross over filter I would need to figure out exactly what to put in, but seems like you guys might be able to help out there :D

Mattes suggestion - although I'm not sure I understand it ;)

Pensils - totally curious, but I need to know more somehow!

Monitors:
Studio 101 mkII - physically a lot like my DALI 300's - so more or less direct replacement, and hopefully would perform better (not exactly cheap!)

SBAcoustics 61 mfc - as far as I can see, also an option, and possibly a bit more economic.

The prestigious one.. - forget the precise name, not sure its cheaper than the other two - Finding the cross-over stuff is a lot of work for a newbie like me, - if I settle on a thing it is totally not a problem, but I got stumped by something like.. "Air core coil 1.6mh" and I could only find 1.5 and 1.8.. So that would be a lot of back and forth with help here, I reckon.

So.. Thank you all for the options thrown! - I'm trying to weigh the options, and I'm sure I will settle eventually!

ps. I'm scared what happens if I build a hit, I'd have to build more... :eek::D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
planet10: I actually looked at the pensil's and other magically slim full range speakers :) I'm really curious about them, but my stoneage brain is doubting that they will "bring it" :D
Please do enlighten me if possible! :) - especially if there is some commercial ones out there I might have a chance to find somewhere to listen to.

Full range speakers are a growing niche. They often bring a coherence that is all-to-often missing in speakers with XOs. Despite their real shortcomings (bass in a Pensil is not one of them). Must be something that draws people to them.

And if one spends the budget on 2 drivers vrs 2 tweeters/2 midbasses/XOparts, one expects that the quality built into the pr drivers will be better.

I have had many multi-way speakers. And ESLs. And i have heard even more. I was drawn into FR because i found i was listening to music more. Sold my big ESLs and haven’t really looked back.

Every speaker is a compromise. FRs do a lot to check the compromises i don’t like to make.

dave

Despite their real shortcomings (bass in a Pensil is not one of them).

I've no idea where the shortcomings could be? Say in the pensils, what is one of theirs?

Every speaker is a compromise. FRs do a lot to check the compromises i don’t like to make.

What compromises is that? - I'm just curious and not judging, I've never listened to any so..

My speakers will especially be a compromise, space, money, what not.
- Are pensils sensitive to being near a wall to the rear?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.