Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Slim tower / floor standing speakers - What to search for
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2019, 08:19 PM   #11
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

If a 25-26cm wide cabinet is acceptable

EU design with 8" woofer:
Astasia
Astasia Prject - 3 ways loudspeakers
Old 28th August 2019, 11:22 PM   #12
Mattes is offline Mattes  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Katrine,

for a cheap but quality system, I would have a look at the ScanSpeak Discovery line. Easily available in Europe, high quality and good results. A 2-way d´Appolito floorstander with 2 15W/8424 drivers and a R2604/8320 should fit into your budget and size limits, and should also allow to buy decent crossover parts.
This is just a quick shot - could you give a little bit more information, what type of music, what levels, which electronics used?

All the best

Mattes
Old 29th August 2019, 12:00 AM   #13
a3cervo is offline a3cervo  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Take a look at this one from Troels: SBA-761

Enclosure is not so complicated. XO schematics available to the public and there's even a layout which you can follow.
Old 29th August 2019, 03:57 AM   #14
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Do keep in mind a slim floorstander is inevitably a massloaded transmission line (unless sealed) Let me throw out something from left field… Pensil ML-TL with Alpai r11ms or A10.3/p. Or SEAS FA22 in a sealed box (50-75 litres or so)

20cm wide, 35cm depth, 90-100cm.

With 18mm plywood (and 1 brace) that is a gross ~55-58 litres.

dave
Old 29th August 2019, 07:09 PM   #15
Jinxid is offline Jinxid  Denmark
diyAudio Member

First of all, thank you all for taking the time!

I may forget some of what I wrote last time so.. here goes again!

morbo: Nomex 146 mkII is definately a candidate, it's a kit (at least most of it), it's local, it's the right size. The price is a bit... well... troels

The amiga's look to be about the right size also, and it looks like I can get the parts. I'd need to figure out what actual parts to put in the cross-over, not just the values, but I have a feeling I can find help here, yay!

Wolf: Awesome! that of course makes the nephila a candidate, both in regards to that it's ok to close the top, and also that you found the tweeters in the uk... never saw that site before.
Is it ok to change the front baffle around the tweeter? or might that screw with it.

LineSource: I'm unfortunately limited to 22cm as an absolute max width, there is a door on one side, and an opening into a hallway on the other side. If they are any wider, we'll walk into them. We both appretiate that a bigger speaker has a better chance at better sound, but I can't swing it.

I realize I may have asked for the impossible in my original post, so maybe a woofer is a way to go. (at a later date)

a3cervo: I think that one is a bit costly for me, the nomex might be a better fit, if I go the way of troels builds.

planet10: I actually looked at the pensil's and other magically slim full range speakers I'm really curious about them, but my stoneage brain is doubting that they will "bring it"
Please do enlighten me if possible! - especially if there is some commercial ones out there I might have a chance to find somewhere to listen to.

Mattes: "A 2-way d´Appolito floorstander" - I googled and perhaps I am dense or my google skills fail me, but that yields a lot of different speakers.. is it a method of design or what am I missing?

Electronics - well, I'm affraid to embarass myself in this company, but I repaired my NAD c350, replaced aaaall the electrolytic caps in it - the power caps were literally rattling as i pulled them out. Bone dry and brown goo everywhere inside the amp.
Now it's like new again - amazing what 80 euro can do! (105 c new ones, no more 85 c)

Thats actually what started this mess I got myself in to, the DIY bloodthirst! The NAD is a "spare" amplifier, and hence the search for some speakers, and putting it on movie/living room duty.

Music - I listen to very different things... A lot of electronic stuff, Phaxe, Boss Axis, Kuba is good examples of what I like in that genre, melodic/progressive, and old people friendly tempo
I also love me some good old foot-stompin' soul wrenching blues.
I also like... not sure what the genre is called really, but emiliana torrini's fisherman's woman album. - And similar.
I like classic rock stuff too, pink floyd, lou reed.. but I tend to be picky, not entire albums.
Love discovering new music, but I'm terrible at looking!
No death metal though, thanks!

Right.. so back to my thoughts so far.

Contenders would be..
Floorstanders:
Nomex 146 mkII - expensive side, but the kit (only missing woofers) being available locally really appeals. (And hopefully it's a good speaker! )

Nephila's slightly cumbersome to get the bits for, but as far as I can tell, a good price if that uk site works out.

Amigas - as far as I can see I can get the tweeter and driver with no problem. Cross over filter I would need to figure out exactly what to put in, but seems like you guys might be able to help out there

Mattes suggestion - although I'm not sure I understand it

Pensils - totally curious, but I need to know more somehow!

Monitors:
Studio 101 mkII - physically a lot like my DALI 300's - so more or less direct replacement, and hopefully would perform better (not exactly cheap!)

SBAcoustics 61 mfc - as far as I can see, also an option, and possibly a bit more economic.

The prestigious one.. - forget the precise name, not sure its cheaper than the other two - Finding the cross-over stuff is a lot of work for a newbie like me, - if I settle on a thing it is totally not a problem, but I got stumped by something like.. "Air core coil 1.6mh" and I could only find 1.5 and 1.8.. So that would be a lot of back and forth with help here, I reckon.

So.. Thank you all for the options thrown! - I'm trying to weigh the options, and I'm sure I will settle eventually!

ps. I'm scared what happens if I build a hit, I'd have to build more...
Old 29th August 2019, 07:16 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Oh, I just found out the seller of the RT5002 is actually from the states. Ah well.
Old 29th August 2019, 07:29 PM   #17
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Katrine,

How does this design look to you? Slightly taller and deeper vs what you had initially specified, but within your width limit.

Speaker Design Works
Old 29th August 2019, 08:19 PM   #18
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxid View Post
planet10: I actually looked at the pensil's and other magically slim full range speakers I'm really curious about them, but my stoneage brain is doubting that they will "bring it"
Please do enlighten me if possible! - especially if there is some commercial ones out there I might have a chance to find somewhere to listen to.
Full range speakers are a growing niche. They often bring a coherence that is all-to-often missing in speakers with XOs. Despite their real shortcomings (bass in a Pensil is not one of them). Must be something that draws people to them.

And if one spends the budget on 2 drivers vrs 2 tweeters/2 midbasses/XOparts, one expects that the quality built into the pr drivers will be better.

I have had many multi-way speakers. And ESLs. And i have heard even more. I was drawn into FR because i found i was listening to music more. Sold my big ESLs and haven’t really looked back.

Every speaker is a compromise. FRs do a lot to check the compromises i don’t like to make.

dave
Old 29th August 2019, 08:19 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

zman: Hi, thanks for your input! I think they're a bit .. maybe intimidating? I'm not sure they're something for me.
Old 29th August 2019, 09:44 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Despite their real shortcomings (bass in a Pensil is not one of them).
I've no idea where the shortcomings could be? Say in the pensils, what is one of theirs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Every speaker is a compromise. FRs do a lot to check the compromises i don’t like to make.
What compromises is that? - I'm just curious and not judging, I've never listened to any so..

My speakers will especially be a compromise, space, money, what not.
- Are pensils sensitive to being near a wall to the rear?

Slim tower / floor standing speakers - What to search forHide this!Advertise here!