My First Multi Way Project, Appreciate Very Much Some Advices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all music lovers and audio enthusiasts, I have to tell that it's amazing how much nice people are here, that are helping with such valuable information, I'm very grateful with the patience and and good will from all the guys that devotes their times in order to clarify a lot of things for me.

I hope that after conclude my first project, I also will be able to pass some knowledge for more people that needs advices.

On the past few days, lots of amazing people explained for me, valuable informations about back loaded horns designs and full range drivers, this was the idea for my first project, but considering all of what I learned, the music genres that I like, and what I want to achieve about the sound presentation, I changed my plans, instead of a back loaded horn, I decided for a multi way, composed of a woofer, radial horn, and super horn tweeter.

In fact, I will purchase the first components today, so the project is now officially on the way! :)

Components that will purchased today via my friend in Japan:

Fostex D1405 Compression Horn Driver
Fostex T925A Super Tweeter

This are the speaker's plan is here:

https://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/recom_enclose/w300aII_encl.pdf

It's the third option plan.

The real challenge about find the rest of the components, the H400 Radial Horn and W300AII Woofers, is that they are discontinued, so I must find a way to track down some of these, maybe used in Japan? or auctions, and etc...

By the way, anyone here already builded this speakers?

Wondering if the actual Fostex woofers in production will fit on this design, or if is better follow the plan exactly and get the discontinued ones showed in the speaker's plan?

Appreciate all the thoughts from more experienced people, indications of dealers of speakers components from Japan are very much appreciated, if you guys know some Japanese DIY builders here on the Forum, please, put me in contact with then, this will be a great help!

PS: message to Scottmoose and all the guys that dedicated a lot of time teaching me about the back loaded horns and full ranges this days, and probably if they see this thread, at first, they will think that i'm crazy of change my mind so quickly hehhehehe :D, I'm very grateful about all your contributions on my threads on the Full Range section guys, I learned a lot, and will continue to learn with all the precious infos that you guys provided me, you guys shared infos with me with the patience of real great teachers, MANY THANKS TO ALL!

Last edited:

Thanks, sir, but for me only works buy from Japan, mail order tax here in Brazil are crazy outrageous, the only option it's my Japanese friend bring the stuff on his trips to Brazil, when he comes to dig for brazilian records 2 times per year, sometimes more, so this november at least, the compression horn drivers and super tweeters will be already here with me :)

by the way, if you know some japanese DIY builders here on the Forum, appreciate if you can put me in contact with they, it can be a good way for track down the radial horns and woofers.

Many thanks.

Yeah, I figured that would be a problem.. Maybe another option: since you guys seem have such an excess of wood, you might be able to have clones made locally? Looking at the cost of these things even without extra taxes, that might actually be a valid option.

Last edited:
Like magic:
fetch

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm trying to understand how to know the exactly sensitivity of this loudspeaker as a whole, I can only found the sensitivity of each particular driver in the documentation, super tweeter, radial horn, and woofer.

If not amplifying the drivers separately, I must consider the speaker's sensitivity as a whole, using the woofer's sensitivity as a reference?

Many thanks.

Hmm... speaking about the crossover, what about something like this:

http://www.accuphase.com/cat/px-600e.pdf
http://www.accuphase.com/historys/pdf/cx-260e.pdf
http://www.accuphase.com/cat/f-25en.pdf

Multi channel amp and active crossover, would like to know more about if this example can be a more easy solution to divide the frequencies for the speaker's drivers, instead of build the passive crossover for the woofer, radial horn, and super horn tweeter, as is suggested on the Fostex speaker's plan.

More, easy, straight forward configuration, but more expensive for sure... well this amp, preamp and active crossover from Accuphase I found some to sell occasionally on the web, sometimes the preamp and the active crossover appears at a more reasonable price in Japan I think..

Anyway, what do you think about this solution for a 3 way loudspeakers?

I noticed that on the PX-600 brochure, Accuphase shows a picture example with this devices used with 3 way speakers system, with the exactly same design of the ones that I will start to build, take a look... maybe this says something? probably a good match?

All components are from 2001, then, they are soooo vintage to worries about repair, recap, and etc, if considering very well cared units, the F25 is from late 90's but was re-released in 2005.

Let me know your thoughts about, very interesting stuff....

Last edited:
Will take a look at the Hypex? it's the Ncore modules that you are talking about? worried if will be sonically a good match for the horns, and DSP: it's a digital active crossover right? I'm not sure if is a good thing the phono signal be digitalized on and back to analog again..

Well, after think about a lot this days, considering all the infos acquired, i think I still not have the knowledge to elaborate a multi amplified active system, better keep it simple first, make the Passive crossover recommended by Fostex...thanks everybody, if occurs another doubts I will put it here, apreciate all the help, best regards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.