The best freeware software for XO in box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So far the winning combo for me was:

Excel spreadsheets(Bagby-Laub-Verdone);
XSim;
fprawnlabs (tracer);
MS Paint (delete garbage around curves);
IrfanView (rotate);
Notepad++ (any manipulation of frd/zma).

What can't I do with spreadsheets, there is XSim and vice versa.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Sorry for OT - in the FANE 12-250TC, there are many designs suggested. This link comes from the thread:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/340299-fane-12-250tc-vs-fc152-15-300tc.html#post5854340

Mine are in a smaller bass reflex right now: New 12" Full-Range: Fane 12-250TC

And they will end up in ca 90 l closed box I am just building. https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ful...12-250tc-low-power-set-amp-8.html#post5878744 (These will be finished next week, just need to glue front, back and stuff with fiberglass.)

We can continue in the two last mentioned threads. It is just to build a box, nothing fancy about it.

To be on topic, I find XSim to be the most intuitive for me and I also have VituixCAD, but that one is quite complex and function heavy, so I am really just scratching the surface with it. I love its SPLtrace function.

Last edited:
Also very good is Boxsim.
Boxsim - Homepage

@thimios
Better to open up a new thread.
The 12-250TC is more like an instrument speaker, you should tell us what you want to do with it.

There is 2 acceptable solutions, either a 70 litres sealed box or a large vented (2-3 times Vas) and there is another solid solution, sealed+EQ. Not much Xmax but fair for casual listening. The values are approximate only.
I don't want to be off topic,quick answer...
I'm looking for the best response in bass area,yes i know that isn't the proper speaker for this.
I want to play using 40-50w amplifiers.

Also very good is Boxsim.
Boxsim - Homepage

@thimios
Better to open up a new thread.
The 12-250TC is more like an instrument speaker, you should tell us what you want to do with it.

Thanks! That is perfect for me as it simulates XO in a bass reflex cabinet too, considering also the ambient floor!

I'm just using this to modify my existing loudspeakers (unfiltered Pluvia11 fullrange in a Bass Reflex plus a -6db RC first order filtered SICA tweeter in reverse polarity ) and by listening it, the simulation was pretty good, for example in reversing polarity

Last edited:
The best freeware is VituixCAD

[smug]
Easy to agree as an author :) Especially version 2.0 is by far the best, most advanced and featured freeware. But as we have seen, few...some individuals are used to play with some different - probably more limited single tool or set of multiple tools. Maybe just tradition or requirements could be simpler ~ perspective to whole scene narrower or design philosophy somehow different. Many "designers" don't use simulators at all. They just iterate parameters until result sounds good (at home) or axial/room response looks good. That style is much less valid for commercial products than personal DIY. I usually design commercial so the tool should support any construction, and design style/philosophy should produce good sound reproduction for majority in many different locations - with decent room acoustics of course. Not just in single location at home and in my opinion only.
[/smug]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.