Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Do Bypass caps really work in crossovers?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2019, 04:08 PM   #41
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

For the shunt caps in the LP filter, I wouldn't suggest a bypass cap, but I would suggest film. Axon is my goto when I need cheap and big film.

If you need 96uF, you'll have to build it from smaller caps anyway, thus helping to ensure you have minimal inductance and ESR.

Best,

E
Old 20th August 2019, 04:29 PM   #42
wushuliu is offline wushuliu  United States
diyAudio Member

Given the low cost of entry for a bypass cap, it's not much effort to just buy some and listen for oneself.
Old 20th August 2019, 11:48 PM   #43
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Given the low cost of entry for a bypass cap, it's not much effort to just buy some and listen for oneself.
Except I'd not qualify $5- each as low cost.
Old 21st August 2019, 07:28 AM   #44
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you really must, is there any particular reason you have to use those specific capacitors, other than that Tony Gee promotes them? No reflection on Tony, just noting the popularity in a general sense seems proportional to what he says on his website.

If you're willing to use something else, get ye to whatever your local[ish] industrial electronics supplier happens to be (RS Components, Mouser or whatever) and try some equivalent value MKP caps or polystyrene caps (as JBL used to use). In fact, you could go the whole JBL, use a 0.01uF MKP and a 0.005uF polystyrene across that. Several industrial brands e.g. Xicon crank them out by the million; they cost literally pennies here, hopefully shouldn't be more than about $1 even for you.

Alternative somebody suggested on t' internet: get onto eBay or similar and seek out some glass caps. Usually only available in smaller sizes but you can parallel a few up to the desired value. Again, should cost loose change down the back of the sofa.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 21st August 2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 21st August 2019, 08:39 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Well I could use 100V Ecaps at $5- each but even I can hear those so to speak. It's a minority hobby and no economy of scale here. RS do sell them very cheaply if I want to buy in pack quantities but no single sales of the values needed for speaker building. So $2.85 each but the packs hold over a hundred caps It seems I have Jaycar or Speakerbug for 100V or buy cheap 35V Mundorfs
I guess 35V is OK but people have told me in the past that 100V+ is better
Old 21st August 2019, 09:42 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

I was referring to the bypass capacitors.
Old 21st August 2019, 10:05 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Ahhh! Well not having any experience using them I was perhaps being guided/influenced by the capacitor shootout. Similar values are cheaper, maybe a dollar each.
Old 21st August 2019, 10:10 AM   #48
tomtt is offline tomtt
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post

I can't see that spending an extra $5- would turn a $50 cap into a $100- cap tho, not when old leaden ears can't hear the difference between a $50 cap and a $2- cap some days
On the receiving end,

( your ears )

You might be somewhat less than optimally hydrated.

Yours truly, was low on water,

In February,

That situation has proven somewhat expensive.

An extra 10 ounces per hour makes many problems

Nonexistent.

An inexpensive fix, well worth the time, .....
Old 21st August 2019, 10:16 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Oh I wish Tom; I wish.
Nah it's permanent hearing damage, I was in the Artillery and CMF didn't get the same protection as the ARA and range practice made it worse. At least I am entitled to free hearing aids now I'm old
Old 21st August 2019, 10:54 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
Ahhh! Well not having any experience using them I was perhaps being guided/influenced by the capacitor shootout. Similar values are cheaper, maybe a dollar each.
There you go then. If you want to go down the bypass cap route, that's what I'd do. TBH, with those Vifa drivers, I doubt you'll hear it, but it's not going to do any harm.

Do Bypass caps really work in crossovers?Hide this!Advertise here!