Do Bypass caps really work in crossovers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For the shunt caps in the LP filter, I wouldn't suggest a bypass cap, but I would suggest film. Axon is my goto when I need cheap and big film.

If you need 96uF, you'll have to build it from smaller caps anyway, thus helping to ensure you have minimal inductance and ESR.

Best,

E

If you really must, is there any particular reason you have to use those specific capacitors, other than that Tony Gee promotes them? No reflection on Tony, just noting the popularity in a general sense seems proportional to what he says on his website.

If you're willing to use something else, get ye to whatever your local[ish] industrial electronics supplier happens to be (RS Components, Mouser or whatever) and try some equivalent value MKP caps or polystyrene caps (as JBL used to use). In fact, you could go the whole JBL, use a 0.01uF MKP and a 0.005uF polystyrene across that. Several industrial brands e.g. Xicon crank them out by the million; they cost literally pennies here, hopefully shouldn't be more than about $1 even for you.

Alternative somebody suggested on t' internet: get onto eBay or similar and seek out some glass caps. Usually only available in smaller sizes but you can parallel a few up to the desired value. Again, should cost loose change down the back of the sofa.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Well I could use 100V Ecaps at $5- each but even I can hear those so to speak. It's a minority hobby and no economy of scale here. RS do sell them very cheaply if I want to buy in pack quantities but no single sales of the values needed for speaker building. So $2.85 each but the packs hold over a hundred caps It seems I have Jaycar or Speakerbug for 100V or buy cheap 35V Mundorfs
I guess 35V is OK but people have told me in the past that 100V+ is better

I can't see that spending an extra $5- would turn a $50 cap into a $100- cap tho, not when old leaden ears can't hear the difference between a $50 cap and a $2- cap some days

On the receiving end,

( your ears )

You might be somewhat less than optimally hydrated.

Yours truly, was low on water,

In February,

That situation has proven somewhat expensive.

An extra 10 ounces per hour makes many problems

Nonexistent.

An inexpensive fix, well worth the time, .....

Fortunately motor capacitors are cheaply available from surplus here. So I prefer them over those overly hyped wonder capacitors. For lower non-standard values I parallel two or more to get the desired total value. See here in the xovers for my JBL 4430 clones.
Best regards!

Attachments

• 20190617_192818_kl.jpg
    20190617_192818_kl.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 201
There's been different kinds over the decades, but if you're referring to PCB, yes, and if you think it's nasty as is, have a big one explode to get a whole new perception of what 'nasty' smells like. Still, didn't seem as bad as an aeration basin field down Miami way in July, though been told some places with decaying bodies trumps them all. Thankfully been spared that.

Then again, seems I read somewhere that they use a fishy mineral oil nowadays, so wonder if we traded one nasty stink for another, or is this what you're referring to? Haven't had the 'pleasure' [yet].

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.