2.1 stereo console, need crossover advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I am pretty new to designing crossovers, and want to make a stereo console. The idea is to have separate L, R channel speakers for mids and highs and single L+R subwoofer for both channels. Something like 2.1 computer speakers, just in one box and powered by simple stereo (2 channel, no separate subwoofer output) amplifier.

Schematics and view is attached.

Need advice how crossover will differ from 2.0 2way system.

Can I attach woofer like shown or do Í need something extra?

Willing to read, so if there is a good link about passive 2.1 systems - tanks in advance for sharing.

Attachments

• console_face-ld130-la-boite-concept.jpg
    console_face-ld130-la-boite-concept.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 135
  • stereo_console.png
    stereo_console.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 140
Don't take my answer to be definitive, but I think it won't work. The problem is that you want to mix L+R signals at power level into a single driver. The only way to do this should be with a dual voice coil woofer.
Besides that a passive crossover at around 100Hz is simply a non sense, as it will be very expensive and won't work as you expect.
So the best way to do what you want is to put L+R line level output into a plate amp with adjustable digital crossover (in frequency and phase), with a sub powered output that will go straight to the sub and two "satellite" output. If the latter ones are powered they will go to the speakers, if not they will go to a stereo amp. You then need to design the tweeter/mid crossover.

Ralf

Don't take my answer to be definitive, but I think it won't work. The problem is that you want to mix L+R signals at power level into a single driver. The only way to do this should be with a dual voice coil woofer.
Besides that a passive crossover at around 100Hz is simply a non sense, as it will be very expensive and won't work as you expect.
So the best way to do what you want is to put L+R line level output into a plate amp with adjustable digital crossover (in frequency and phase), with a sub powered output that will go straight to the sub and two "satellite" output. If the latter ones are powered they will go to the speakers, if not they will go to a stereo amp. You then need to design the tweeter/mid crossover.

Ralf

Ok, I am total noob, so please explain me in steps:

1. Dual voice coil woofer - is this one ok? Dayton Audio RSS265HO-44 10" Reference HO DVC Subwoofer
...its specifications are not bad at all

2. Why passive at 100Hz is nonsense??? If in this link for example this is ok, then it is not that much: 40 USD Parts Express 100 Hz Low Pass 4 Ohm Crossover

3. The whole idea is to avoid plate amps... In the worst scenario I can go with 2 subwoofers, but if they are meant to play in the frequency where direction of the sound is not recognizeable. The idea is to get 1 bigger subwoofer instead 2 a bit smaller ones.

1. yes, that would work
2. it's not a nonsense, it just needs big coils, but it will work
3. you can't connect one woofer to two amplifiers as your shown, forget that

seems option 1 is best for you, if you do not want plate amp

Thanks for an answer:

No, there is only one amp!

My idea is dead simple - 1 STEREO amp, 2 channels, L and R, no separate sub output. I want to have 2 seaparate mid/high drivers (separate L and R) and just one woofer for L+R signal combined. No plate amps and etc. If there are 2 subwoofers then it is very easy, but how to make it work with 1 sub?

p.s. Seems there is a similar thread crossover for 2.1 setup
Dual voice coil subwoofer looks like the way to go, thanks everyone!

Last edited:
There is another approach to a solution in building this console. Instead of a 2.1, build a standard 2 way using midwoofer capable of outputting good midbass, namely Peerless by Tymphany SLS 3.5 inch 85s25cp04-04, for instance. Vented alignment might call for a passive radiator in case a vent could not be fitted. A simulation would help a lot.

There is another approach to a solution in building this console. Instead of a 2.1, build a standard 2 way using midwoofer capable of outputting good midbass, namely Peerless by Tymphany SLS 3.5 inch 85s25cp04-04, for instance. Vented alignment might call for a passive radiator in case a vent could not be fitted. A simulation would help a lot.

Of course standard 2way system is always an option, but there is always a problem, that midwoofer will not play wel under 100Hz and/or at the same time will be precise in the voice range. This woofer mentioned looks like suitable from ~200 to ~4kHz. Correct me if I am wrong

Now I am looking at FaitalPro 3FE, 4FE or something from Markaudio for mid/highs or even fullrange and probably Dayton for sub.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.