Advice for Speaker Build for Outdoor Wedding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unfortunately, the gentleman bringing the PA system for our wedding has bailed. I decided instead of going out an buying a cheap system, I might as well build one. Since the wedding is going to be outdoors, the speakers need to be pretty efficient, I am thinking dbs somewhere in the low 90s.

The old ball and chain has ruled out many diysoundgroup or PA looking speakers as she thinks they are "ugly" or too bulky. She has however green-lit many of the MTM designs I have shown her with 6" drivers.

The designs that I have been able to find that fit in our budget, ~300-350 for the drives and xovers parts for the pair, I am unsure if they will be loud enough. These are the top contenders:

Abouriou MTM
The S2000 MTM
Zaph's Bargain Aluminum MTM

Does anyone have any experience with these? or have any different suggestions?

They will be powered by 100w per channel Yamaha and can be 4 or 8ohm. Also, I have a lot of woodworking experience, so the cabinet building will not be a problem.

Edit: I have folded on the MTM design, just won't tell the fiance until the build is done. I was looking at the Fusion-8 by diysg because it is slender, which I should be able to get away with, but it out of stock. I am open to any 8" or slim 10" PA builds.

Last edited:
Javad Shadzi posted a build recently on the diy Facebook page called the dBacles. These were specifically designed for an outdoor cinema event so look like they would do the job.

No idea of cost but all info is in the link below.

Uses a B&C de990tn 1.5” compression driver in a me90 80x60 horn and a Dayton pn395 15” bass driver and is powered by a Dayton ppa800 plate amp.

DIY Loudspeaker Project Pad Public Group | Facebook

Since the wedding is going to be outdoors, the speakers need to be pretty efficient, I am thinking dbs somewhere in the low 90s.

The designs that I have been able to find that fit in our budget, ~300-350 for the drives and xovers parts for the pair, I am unsure if they will be loud enough. These are the top contenders:

Abouriou MTM
The S2000 MTM
Zaph's Bargain Aluminum MTM

Does anyone have any experience with these? or have any different suggestions?

They will be powered by 100w per channel Yamaha and can be 4 or 8ohm.
No experience with your particular choices, but plenty of sound experience outdoors!
Looking at Zaph's Bargain Aluminum MTM (Zaph's designs are good, and provide tech info) we see about an 85 dB sensitivity, around 105dB peak output at 100 watts at one meter. At 8 meters (26 feet), that is about 82 dB (peak) output, but will run out of excursion in the bass at only 20 watts. With a pair of these speakers (on stands at head height), you are still looking at about 80 dB at 8 meters maximum, generally below a wedding party crowd noise level. The little drivers may give out before the party is over..

I'd suggest renting a powered subwoofer if you want to go ahead building tiny mains, but want some bass. The sub can be hidden under a cloth covered table, and still provide the bottom end people like to dance to.

Good luck with the wedding!

Art

Can you be sure these won't be damaged in the process thus ruining the rest of the celebration? I would advise building/purchasing PA portable loudspeaker.

So it sounds like I am not going to be able to stay away from the PA look. The best looking, imo, speakers that seem to fit the bill are the fusion-8. Unfortunately, they are out of stock. Is there another 8" PA build you can recommend? I like the fact that it is slender

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
As I do a great deal of outdoor sound - tho probably not as much as Art does - and I can't see this working well. If you look at the basic powered speaker on a stick that DJs and people like me use, you're talking $300 each minimum. All these speakers look alike and there's a good reason for that. It's because the design works.

A 1" compression driver and a 10" woofer could fill the bill. If you are "married" to the 6" MTM concept, you'll still want a horn and compression driver and subwoofer support for the dance music. Driver choice might not be easy.

As I do a great deal of outdoor sound - tho probably not as much as Art does - and I can't see this working well. If you look at the basic powered speaker on a stick that DJs and people like me use, you're talking $300 each minimum. All these speakers look alike and there's a good reason for that. It's because the design works.

A 1" compression driver and a 10" woofer could fill the bill. If you are "married" to the 6" MTM concept, you'll still want a horn and compression driver and subwoofer support for the dance music. Driver choice might not be easy.

I have folded on the MTM design, just won't tell the fiance until the build is done. I was looking at the Fusion-8 by diysg because it is slender, which I should be able to get away with, but it out of stock. I am open to any 8" or slim 10" PA builds.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
FWIW there is a very large A/V company I gig for who use powered speakers on a stick every day. They are used for high end functions, meetings and weddings at fancy resorts. The solution to ugly? White Spandex covers. :) Simple, elegant and easy to use. I can't remember anyone ever objecting to them.

Perhaps worth taking into consideration?

Eminence deltalite II 2510-4, capable of playing 55Hz/-3dB in 2cuft vented, 2.5" voice coil, 250Wrms.

Eminence psd 2002-8

Eminence WG10, 70x60 deg, dictates a box width of minimum 11.6".

A crossover point in the 1.4kHz range.

Drivers+waveguides total to 490$/pair.

There is BH410 exponential horn with a more friendly 5.59" width/height.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.