Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

how many Liters for my 15"
how many Liters for my 15"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2019, 08:04 AM   #21
tmuikku is offline tmuikku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tmuikku
^ For home use, two or more ports can be advantageous: the low end response can be tuned to the room and speaker position somewhat by blocking one or more of the ports. On the other hand if the box has to be as loud as possible you really cannot change the tune since it must be optimized for driver excursion, then one port best Sometimes, there is not enough space for one big port... or only smaller tube in the stock, or it is a single sheet project or something else more important design goal Happy building!

Last edited by tmuikku; 15th August 2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 15th August 2019, 08:22 AM   #22
MrKlinky is online now MrKlinky  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonsgr View Post
So having a similar design task (2226h around 120-130L) I had in my cad two round holes.
Should I just do one big rectangular?! Do side ratios play a big game?
One large hole (even better, flared) is the most efficient as it has the lowest wall surface area to open area ratio. A slot port of a given area 1mm high and a metre wide would theoretically have the same as a circle of the same area, but would not work. It always helps to think in extremes!

Also consider symmetry of air flow - is the airflow as close to identical as possible in both directions? (Clue - internal port baffle!).
Old 15th August 2019, 08:43 AM   #23
daemonsgr is offline daemonsgr  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKlinky View Post
Also consider symmetry of air flow - is the airflow as close to identical as possible in both directions? (Clue - internal port baffle!).
thanks!

My 'uneducated' understanding of what you said has to do with the proximity and structure (design) of the inner part of the port/speaker? (and the surrounding area)
Proximity to internal walls etc?

My 3d cad is all parametric so I can easily move things around and the rest of the design follows. Ill do a couple of port simulations and see how the fit in the design (the lower part of the speaker is slimmer)

how many Liters for my 15"Hide this!Advertise here!