Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

3 way front loaded horn bass bin nob question
3 way front loaded horn bass bin nob question
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2019, 09:41 AM   #1
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default 3 way front loaded horn bass bin nob question

Hi Guys
Sorry for the silly question. Aside from having to pad down the mids, tweeter & having lower woofer sensitivity, what is the reasoning behind of not using a woofer with lower FS to attain more bass, assuming the XO is set around 500hz.

Thank you kindly.
Old 12th August 2019, 10:04 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Ooops sorry guys, Im referring to home audio application.

Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 03:33 PM   #3
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Higher efficiency puts less heat through the coil. Also, assuming you are using subs, it isn't necessarily helpful for the mains to run that low.
Old 12th August 2019, 03:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Allen
Thank you kindly for the reply. Adding Subs will make things more complicated for me.
Old 12th August 2019, 05:21 PM   #5
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumotan View Post
Hi Allen
Thank you kindly for the reply. Adding Subs will make things more complicated for me.
Complications aside, adding multiple subs is the only way to get really good in-room bass response. So you should consider it!
Old 12th August 2019, 05:33 PM   #6
bradleypnw is offline bradleypnw
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
Higher efficiency puts less heat through the coil. Also, assuming you are using subs, it isn't necessarily helpful for the mains to run that low.
How low would you run the mains in home audio?
Old 12th August 2019, 05:47 PM   #7
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

I would simply let the drivers go as low as they reasonably can while optimizing them for the crossover - not the low-end. Then boost up the low-end with multiple subs, all overlapping and Eq'd as a single system. This way it makes no difference how low the mains can go.

My 15" mains only go down to about 60 Hz, but my room response, with subs, is fairly flat down to about 20 Hz.
Old 12th August 2019, 08:26 PM   #8
bradleypnw is offline bradleypnw
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
I would simply let the drivers go as low as they reasonably can while optimizing them for the crossover - not the low-end. Then boost up the low-end with multiple subs, all overlapping and Eq'd as a single system. This way it makes no difference how low the mains can go.

My 15" mains only go down to about 60 Hz, but my room response, with subs, is fairly flat down to about 20 Hz.
Thanks, that cleared up a question I've been wondering about. I didn't know if we should cut off the low frequency in the mains.

3 way front loaded horn bass bin nob questionHide this!Advertise here!