Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

B&W CM5 Crossover
B&W CM5 Crossover
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2019, 08:04 PM   #1
craigen is offline craigen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default B&W CM5 Crossover

This seems to be a simple first-order crossover. Can someone confirm?
Old 11th August 2019, 11:42 PM   #2
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi! Do you have a photo of the crossover? I can't find a photo or a schematic.

I've attached a photo of the CM5S2 crossover which would appear to be second order.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CM5S2 XO.jpg (15.6 KB, 82 views)
Old 12th August 2019, 06:43 AM   #3
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

It is a first order electrical and there is a service manual on bwgroupsupport. Ideal candidate for a crossover tweek.
Old 12th August 2019, 07:11 PM   #4
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It seems to be 1.4mH bass coil to a 6" woven and coated Kevlar driver with a phase plug in a reflex box. 4,7uF and 0.5R optional level adjust to a 4 ohm tweeter. Positive polarity.
Look in B&W CM5 service manual here: B&W Group North America Service & Support - Home

It seems to get a pretty good review: Bowers & Wilkins CM5 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

You've got to admire B&W's superb and open documentation. I'm not sure that picture that m'learned friend Galu posted looks quite right. The service manual is quite clear we are looking at first order electrical.

I have heard some of B&W designs of this type. Low order filters and tidy drivers sound very good and lively with jazz and acoustic music, but possibly get muddled or harsh with complex structures like classical music.

Good candidates for diy easy builds include SEAS woven 6" polycone H1571-08 U18RNX/P
And this Peerless 830874 6" polycone : Peerless 830874 HDS 164 PPB MidWoofer Speaker
Of course the SB Acoustics 6" Satori: 61/2" SATORI MW16P-8 :: SB Acoustics

Joachim Gerhard like this SEAS DXT tweeter on first order, say, 3.3uF: http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=...ers&Itemid=462

I think we get the picture. Me, I'd build a three way, but some fun to be had with the refined two way idea.
Old 12th August 2019, 07:24 PM   #5
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
I'm not sure that picture that m'learned friend Galu posted looks quite right.
That's correct Steve! The picture I attached was purported to be a CM5S2 (i.e. CM5 Series 2) crossover - not a CM5 crossover.
Old 12th August 2019, 07:29 PM   #6
craigen is offline craigen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default B&W CM5

Thanks everyone for your help. The tweeter conked out on one side, but the tweeter itself is okay; so perhaps it's just a matter of replacing one capacitor.
Old 12th August 2019, 07:55 PM   #7
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'd be surprised if a Mundorf 4.7uF capacitor has failed. Much more likely a break in the wiring or soldering.

To test a tweeter, just connect a 1.5V AAA battery across the tweeter terminals and listen for a scratchy sound. Tells you there is life in it.

Then examine all the connections.

This is a biwire crossover, so you can work with the top HF connection from the amp. Nothing will break. BTW, you usually need a wired link between HF and LF with single speaker leads. Just how biwire works.

Last edited by system7; 12th August 2019 at 07:57 PM.

B&W CM5 CrossoverHide this!Advertise here!