Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Lafayette SK216W Drivers?
Lafayette SK216W Drivers?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2019, 05:15 AM   #1
deicide67 is offline deicide67  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Lafayette SK216W Drivers?

Hi folks,

I have a pair of Goodman/Lafayette 12” “three way” drivers (actually a two way with a parasitic whizzer cone) and I’m looking for cabinet suggestions. Has anyone tried these out?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5928E175-E010-4169-A510-0208C4D15688.jpeg (174.8 KB, 82 views)
Old 11th August 2019, 05:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Image of actual driver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 268252B8-6FBE-4641-ABC0-418A9127A863.jpg (560.9 KB, 85 views)
Old 11th August 2019, 05:57 AM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Without measured specs, the standard size cab way back when for consumer 12" was ~5 ft^3 tuned to Fs.

GM
Old 11th August 2019, 02:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

That’s what I find so odd about these. They get praise everywhere I find them, but nobody ran TS parameters on either driver?

Thanks for the response! I may try these in a U-baffle and see if I get them low enough to just run a ported woofer crossed at 1-200hz to them.
Old 11th August 2019, 03:21 PM   #5
Fast Eddie D is offline Fast Eddie D  United States
diyAudio Member

Back in the day, the only T-S parameter commonly available was resonance. Sometimes they also provided efficiency.

GM's advice is solid and a good starting point. When I was in high school, I bought some Eminence surplus drivers. This included a 15", very high efficiency, very high Q "full range" woofers. I was dismayed to measure the resonance as around 70 Hz (I really had no idea what I was buying) and so based on what I read in a Howard Sams book I build a large (6 cubic foot) enclosure and tuned it to 55 Hz. I did an impedance sweep and it was exactly what the Sams book predicted; two small impedance humps with the larger "hump" below the resonance.

Long story short, by tweaking the ports I was able to get solid bass all the way down to 40 Hz. Since the speakers were large and efficient it wasn't hard to reproduce super high (too high!) SPLs. Large horns were used for the midranges and tweeters and although it wasn't hi-fi like we think of today, it was super loud and super clear, with tight but slamming bass that punched you in the chest and played LOUD.

My point is that you can optimize the enclosure for these speakers with some very basic equipment and procedures. You don't even need a signal generator any more; you can get frequency sweeps on your phone from Youtube.
Old 12th August 2019, 01:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

That’s one of my concerns with using these. I love the concept of high efficiency, but lots of these old drivers have that loud effect to them. 12” midrange tends to beam also in my opinion. A 5 cube cabinet is an investment so I’m not sure whether or not to pursue this effort. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Lafayette SK216W Drivers?Hide this!Advertise here!