Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Peerless by Tymphany 830668 10"
Peerless by Tymphany 830668 10"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2019, 11:54 PM   #1
10000 hz legend is offline 10000 hz legend  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Peerless by Tymphany 830668 10"

I ordered two 2x10" sealed vertical cabinets that will serve as both subwoofers and stands for a pair of bookshelf speakers. I am buying a Minidsp SHD and will be using room correction and active crossover between the bookshelves and the subs. I will be playing around with different crossover points and curves to find what works best for me, but I think I will be somewhere in the 250-500hz range.

Are the Peerless by Tymphany 830668 are a good choice for this setup? Are there better options out there for the price, or will these do just fine? The enclosures are 2 cubic ft a piece, so 1 cubic ft per sub.
Old 11th August 2019, 12:59 AM   #2
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

This driver, and its 12" cousin, need a relatively large volume box to work best as a closed-box woofer/subwoofer. This is due to a combination of high-ish Vas and Qts. But they should sound good if you do it right. In too small a box they will have too little bass extension to sound all that "full". A larger closed box, with a generous amount of stuffing, will be great.

I don't think that there is a better option at this price point, but the tradeoff is the larger enclosure.

Last edited by CharlieLaub; 11th August 2019 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11th August 2019, 02:48 AM   #3
Moondog55 is online now Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

Leaky sealed box perhaps?
Old 11th August 2019, 03:03 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Charlielaub. Unfortunately I already ordered the cabinet. I will have to make due I guess. Even with the DSP and EQ this subwoofer will struggle to produce well in the 20ís and 30ís in a 1 cubic ft cabinet? My only other pick was the Dayton Designer series.
Old 11th August 2019, 03:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

If you give it about 10dB at 30 Hz with a wide "Q" you should be able to pump 100 watts into it before it exceeds X-Max
I can't judge whether or not it will sound good, but either way I would stuff the box well and adding in a resistive port might be a good idea
Attached Images
File Type: png Peerless 830886.png (563.8 KB, 335 views)
Old 11th August 2019, 12:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

At this point I would rather spend more money on a subwoofer that will perform adequately in a 1 cubic foot sealed box. The next step up that I see would be the Dayton Audio Reference HO and HF. Obviously these will perform much better in a 1ft box, but will they perform as well in the 100-200hz range?
Old 11th August 2019, 03:14 PM   #7
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Which speakers are you using above the subs?

Chris
Old 11th August 2019, 03:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I plan on playing around with different bookshelf speakers. For now I have a pair of Dali Oberons and a pair of Wharfedale diamond 210s. I would like to try the KEF Q150s. Either way I will be crossing over pretty high because I want to get all of the punch from the subs/woofers and leave the bookshelves to handle the mid range with low excursion.
Old 11th August 2019, 10:41 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If you want"punch" then yes cross highish but that is for a woofer not a subwoofer which works below 80Hz for most of us. Is 100 watts and 100dB not loud enough for you?
Old 11th August 2019, 11:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yes I think I’ll end up crossing over somewhere in 250-500hz area because I really want to keep the woofer on the bookshelf nice and steady for a cleaner midrange response.

My question is whether or not the peerless will give me what I want if I put them in 1cuft sealed boxes. Are they capable of producing in the 20-30hz area in boxes like that? Keep in mind I will have four of them and will have them running through the Minidsp SHD, so I will basically have full control over them.

I’m no expert, but it sounds like Moondog was pointing out that the amount of watts needed to max out the excursion on the peerless 830668 in a 1ft sealed enclosure exceeds the watts that it is capable of handling. Is this right? In other words the amount of air pressure in a 1ft enclosure is just too much for this particular woofer? Again, I will have four of these subwoofers so even if that is true I don’t think that it be a problem for me because I don’t see myself ever needing all four of these subwoofers at full xmax at 20-30hz. I could be wrong about that, but it seems like that would be pretty loud.

Basically what I’m asking is if it would be beneficial to go with a beefier subwoofer with greater power handling like the Dayton Reference HF, or if the peerless 830668 will work fine for me with a little bass boost in the 20-30hz area. I don’t think I need these subs to be reaching Xmax at 20hz, but I do want a “big” sound overall that will give me deep bass and warm old school punch.

I have not picked out amps yet, so if I go with a beefier subwoofer I can choose an amp accordingly.

Peerless by Tymphany 830668 10&quot;Hide this!Advertise here!