Peerless by Tymphany 830668 10"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You don't need two channels for double woofers. Connect two 4R drivers in series and it is 8R, but with same sensitivity. However it's spl capacity is better and distortion lower. Using two channels 4'R load each is practically the same load/spl capacity.

I have used two SS 8" 4R woofers in series with dsp, active 3-way. Works!

I think I’m gonna go with the Peerless 830668. Having earth shattering 20-30hz bass is less important to me than the upper bass punch. And with a little eq I should be able to get decent response in the 30-40 range hopefully. I will save a little money this way and I really like the way the Peerless look appearance wise.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I think I’m gonna go with the Peerless 830668. Having earth shattering 20-30hz bass is less important to me than the upper bass punch. And with a little eq I should be able to get decent response in the 30-40 range hopefully. I will save a little money this way and I really like the way the Peerless look appearance wise.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I have played with both the 830667 and a variant of the 830669; I think you will be very happy with either. Subjectively they sound really quite good on music and better in the upper bass than all but the best subs I've heard. As an example, in the 80-150hz range I think I prefer them to my rythmik f12s.

I think I’m gonna go with the Peerless 830668. Having earth shattering 20-30hz bass is less important to me than the upper bass punch.

-better upper bass punch is usually the result of a higher mass driver with a much stronger motor. -look to lower Qe first, and then Mms second. In general look to a higher Bl. The 830668 isn't exactly ideal in this instance. :eek:

This one will give you more "punch" (if at the cost of excursion and some bass extension near the average):

Peerless by Tymphany SLS-250S38CP00-04 10" Paper Cone Woofer 4 Ohm

Note: Bl is lower simply because of the 4 ohm VC, and as Juhazi mentioned: wired in series gives you that 8 ohm load (..though in a powered subwoofer I prefer parallel assuming the amplifier can handle it).

Last edited:
Thanks Scott. This is interesting. If these charts are correct then the SLS-250S38CP00-04 extends much lower then the 830668. Weird because the 830668 is dubbed as a Subwoofer and the SLS-250S38CP00-04 is dubbed as a woofer. Looks like the response is also much more flat overall.

Does that mean it will extend a little lower than the 830668 in a 1ft enclosure as well?

Also, whats up with the huge drop in spl right around 25-30hz in the 830668???

Attachments

• C0AC9FCC-AD8C-43D7-B8F3-3E82832C53F2.jpeg
    C0AC9FCC-AD8C-43D7-B8F3-3E82832C53F2.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 476
  • D4389DA9-393D-435C-999E-2350859B196F.jpeg
    D4389DA9-393D-435C-999E-2350859B196F.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 480
-model both with an earlier (.44) version of *winisd to see for yourself:

WinISD - Linearteam

*the reason for the earlier version is that it's not insistent on accurate T/S param's. Once open/loaded: increase the size of the window and then go to "Utilities" > "Database Maintenance" and the select "New" at the bottom of the window that pops-up and input the driver's T/S param's (save it, then model it from "your" database).

Usually higher Qe drivers are higher in spl an octave+ above Fs all-else-equal, but require a larger volume for an equal Fs.

Both driver's have a pressure dip just below Fs, it's just than one is more "narrow" in bandwidth. The higher Qm (suspension) probably gives it a bit of gain below this area that generates an exaggerated appearance of a "dip". As to what actually generates the dip, I don't know - but I'm guessing it's a lack of force/control relative to the suspension.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Put the driver in a sealed box and that "dip" probably disappears due to the air spring effect. I do think you are thinking of crossing far too high tho. As you are going to be using digital DSP tho you have a lot of room to experiment in. What is the resonance of the speakers you will be using as tops? If you know it that is.
Bi-amping it would be perfectly safe and clean to go an octave above that as a starting point and work up and down from that point

Well, I may have to look at this more closely.

I pulled up the 830668 in WinISD, and the transfer function of 2 of the peerless sealed in 4.5 cu ft overlaid 2xRSS210HF in 2 cu ft almost exactly. The peerless combo is 6 dB more sensitive and provides 8dB more output within xmax at 40Hz (according to the WinISD model). Since I'll be using a MiniDSP SHD, I could easily go smaller and just LT the Peerless and still come out needing less power, and the load is easier to manage. AND, 2 Peerless are the same price as 1 Dayton.

I'm not sure my proposed design will look good with 2x10 though - I've been thinking 2x8 or 1x10. I'll have to mock it up.

Old thread, but the only one I’ve seen talking about that dip below Fs. I was looking at linkwitz’s stuff and wondering why he felt ok using a driver that had such wild frequency response down low. And a post or two up, I see about the sealed box likely flattening that out.

Did you end up using this driver? And are you happy with the results?

I have the 830668 in a 1 cuf box, crossing over at 300Hz.

There is no problem running it up that high.

There is a large peak at 70Hz due to the small box, but if you are running DSP it is easy to flatten this and then add a boost below.

The guys are the Orion Owners Forum are using it in a box this size to extend the range of the LXMini.

Here's a quick 1m measurement (no EQ).

Attachments

• SLS10.jpg
    SLS10.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 246
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.