Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

TDL Studio 1 : need replacement drivers
TDL Studio 1 : need replacement drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2020, 02:41 PM   #51
raymondj is offline raymondj  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Agreed.

Pat on the back
Old 23rd May 2020, 01:30 PM   #52
Sally is offline Sally  France
diyAudio Member

Indeed !
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:40 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

How is the replacement and rebuild process going?

Are you waiting on parts, and filling in time by checking you supply of screwdrivers and woodscrews?
Bricolage or some such springs to mind.
I tended to be near the back of the class.
Old 23rd May 2020, 04:07 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Hi raymondj. Yes, I'll be ordering the replacement drivers this week. Neil at Wilmslow Audio, after many conversations in which I spoke to them about all the advice I'd received on the forum suggests the following :

Monacor SPH-165CP Size 165x165mm
Monacor DT-100 Size 116x80mm
which seems to fit with what many of you have been suggesting. For the crossovers, it seems they may need replacing (do I wait and see what the sound's like with the ones I've already got or is it better just to replace them anyway?)
cm2s find of the description of the original specs looks great but for the uninitiated reads like something straight out of The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy! I'm wondering whether to ask Wilmslow Audio whether they could assemble them for me and send them with the drivers. A sort of "plug-in-and-go".

Any thoughts anybody?
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:56 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Things have moved on a fair bit then.

Can you solder and do you have the soldering iron?
Do you have a friend who can do this for you? I think you are going to need some further help with this the final stage. There will be somebody in the local community who fixes electrical things I am sure.

Your idea about "plug in and go" is very sensible. Wilmslow hopefully have read this thread and may already know about the crossover design, so it would be nice if they came up with a similar specified crossover for the new drive units.

If they are not aware of this thread you could point out to them to it and the linked Stereophile review. That should get them on the right path. They will of course charge for this design work, I think they have a fixed fee for Xover design.

If the repair is getting a bit expensive, you could take the slightly less technical approach and just replace the original capacitors. CM6 has told us the original capacitor values of 12, 4 and 5 microfarad, you could go ahead and order two of each value, Wilmslow will understand what to supply. This is where you will need the soldering skills to replace the caps.

Monday is a bank holiday in UK, maybe somebody will be kind and do a quick sim for the new drivers, but ideally we need some more data.

Does anybody have the frd and zma files for these two drivers, monacor-dt-100 and monacor-dt-250 ?

We know from stereophile that the studio 1 baffle dimensions are 72.4cm by 23cm (H x W)
Original crossover frequency was at 3kHz, with a first-order, high-pass; second-order, low-pass. Sensitivity: 86dB/W/m. Nominal impedance: 8 ohms.

CM6's thoughts on the crossover are very sensible and are functional i.e the coil and 5uF are the 12db to the woofer. The 12uF and 10ohm are probably in series across the woofer. The 2.2ohm and 4uF probably feeding the tweeter.

Without measurements we will have to react to your comments on how they sound and advise as needed.
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:12 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Hi raymondj,

Yes, I sent them the info cm6 found in the stereophile review.
I only sent that today so will expect a reply sometime next week.
Thanks again for all the help!
Anna
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:20 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

I'll keep you all up to date!

PS : If I want to replace the eggbox foam inside the TDLs do I have to take the whole cabinets apart?
Old 23rd May 2020, 08:40 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

To answer the question, if either the front or rear panels are screwed in place and not secured with glue as well, it should be relatively simple to unscrew the screws and ease the panel out. Even without being glued it will have sat down to the sealing gasket and may need a fair effort to remove it. Preferably a new sealing foam gasket should be fitted when you start re assembling everything.

If the insides are not easily accessible, you may have to be creative with smaller pieces of foam inserted in the immediate area around the woofer cut out, a bit of a pain.

I take it the foam has started to break up?
Old 23rd May 2020, 08:51 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

OK, thanks. To be honest I have no idea whether the foam is OK or not. From what I can see of it, which isn't much, it LOOKS alright but I don't know whether its qualities are gradually lost over time.
Old 23rd May 2020, 09:26 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Some types of foam can degrade, especially if exposed to daylight the ultra violet component doing the damage.
As the foam is protected from daylight inside the speaker it may last for years.

TDL Studio 1 : need replacement driversHide this!Advertise here!