Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

TDL Studio 1 : need replacement drivers
TDL Studio 1 : need replacement drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2020, 07:21 AM   #41
raymondj is offline raymondj  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Difficult to say from looking at the image, even when magnified.

I can see 1 inductor coil and three probably original bipolar capacitors plus a two resistors, or 1 resistor and a label.

It could be unmodified.

Just posted and seen your new images.

I still think unmodified, but the wire links are an unknown to me, are they original or replacing an earlier fitted component.

I suspect others will know better than I

Last edited by raymondj; 14th May 2020 at 07:25 AM. Reason: new pictures
Old 14th May 2020, 07:32 AM   #42
Sally is offline Sally  France
diyAudio Member

Thanks raymondj. Yes, the speakers were "repaired" once and different drivers installed. This was quite a few years ago and the person who did the job says he can't remember whether he modified the crossovers but doesn't think so : "maybe a tweak in the wiring here and there" I think he just doesn't remember but he sais it would've been unusual for him to modify them.
Old 14th May 2020, 07:34 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

Here are some pictures of the holes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TDL tweeter hole.jpg (18.7 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg TDLs holes 2.jpg (14.3 KB, 99 views)
Old 14th May 2020, 07:49 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

I think people are interested in the hole dimensions to consider suitable replacement drivers for you. I am not sure where we are in the repair process?
If you haven't already posted this people will be interested in the diameter of the large whole where the bass driver lives, and the dimensions of the tweeter cut out, as it is not circular or symmetrical maybe min and max dimensions of the cut out.

Assuming the crossover has not been modified, replacement old drivers from eBay could be a possibility. But this will be dependent on price and non rotted foams or replacement foams being fitted.
Old 14th May 2020, 07:57 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

OK, thanks very much. I've already measured the holes and I think it'll be on the thread (I'll check) Up to now I'm just trying to work out what to order and would like to get it right as I'm in France and postage would be expensive (and maybe unreliable) if I need to return them and order different ones. I'm in touch with a company called Wilmslow Audio. I don't know if you've heard of them?
Old 14th May 2020, 09:39 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Yes, I have heard of them, and have used them for components and drivers over the years.

They should be able to help you with this as it is something they have experience with I imagine replacement drivers is a steady business for them.
Old 14th May 2020, 10:24 AM   #47
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Having mulled this over, I quite like the look of this Wilmslow Audio WA-165 polycone bass:

WA -165 Bass-mid Diameter 165mm

With a 147mm cutout, it'll fit. Whether the mounting holes, which might have convenient T-Nuts, might line up, remains to be seen. But easy to make 4 new mounting holes for screws.

Lots of bits at wilmslow for modifications:

Components and accessories

The replacement 104mm Vifa XT25SC-30 (4 ohms) is a slight worry. Not a great choice IMO. Just about covers the tweeter cutout. And needs an attenuator to control a big impedance peak around (guesses) 800Hz.

Crossover looks unmodified:

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm not sure what it does exactly. 1 coil, two resistors and 3 capacitors. Some values might help. Some people added an attenuator to similar designs:
TDL RTL Rebuild - Crossover and Measurements

I could make a good guess on tweeter polarity with more detail there. But 90% of the time, positive. The crossover is connected to a 4 terminal biwire input by 4 bolts. These ought to undo and the whole thing will lift off, possibly with washers falling off in the process. Not unknown to find extra components on the back. Positive is usually red or brown in crossovers. Negative is usually black or blue.

I have a pair of unwanted rectangular frame Elac 180NS10 paper woofers. These are 180mm wide. 143mm cutout. Mounting holes on a 183mm diameter circle known as PCD to the technical.

They probably would do.

Last edited by system7; 14th May 2020 at 10:38 AM. Reason: detail, detail...
Old 14th May 2020, 10:56 AM   #48
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just to sketch out some thoughts on the tweeter:

This picture looks like the bass is unscrewed and sitting low, but these two Monacor tweeters are contenders to replace if necessary:

Monacor DT-100 Size 116x80mm

Monacor DT-250 Size 116x86mm

The second one looks loud at 92dB, and might need crossover modifications. But the bass is the main issue right now.
Old 14th May 2020, 12:51 PM   #49
cm6 is offline cm6
diyAudio Member

According to the review in Stereophile, the crossover was at 3KHz, 1st order high pass and 2nd order low pass.

Referring to the photo, the resistor by the coil is 10ohms and the other one is 2.2ohms. The caps are 12uF, 4uF and 5uF but I don't know which one is which.

I got this info from another thread somewhere where the owner was doing a recap. Unfortunately the poster didn't trace out a schematic.

I would take a guess that the coil and 5uF are the 12db to the woofer. The 12uF and 10ohm are probably in series across the woofer. The 2.2ohm and 4uF probably feeding the tweeter.

My 2 pence.
Old 14th May 2020, 12:56 PM   #50
cm6 is offline cm6
diyAudio Member

Hah! After my last post I decided to re-read the whole Stereophile review and it's right there.
"The crossover is relatively simple, a series non-polarized electrolytic capacitor in the tweeter feed providing a first-pass high-pass slope, with a series resistor to lower the tweeter level; the woofer filter is basically second-order low-pass, with a series air-cored coil and a shunt electrolytic capacitor. There is also an RC Zobel network shunting the drive-unit terminals."

Pat on back.

TDL Studio 1 : need replacement driversHide this!Advertise here!