Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

TDL Studio 1 : need replacement drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2020, 06:37 PM   #21
Sally is offline Sally  France
diyAudio Member

Big thanks to everybody for all your suggestions which sound very promising. It's tricky because I very much doubt my capacity to actually do anything but harm if I start twiddling with them and would have no idea if the crossover had been modified or not (not even knowing what one looks like!) Hopeless I know! I think I'd need the help of an expert to modify them.

But please don't stop replying : everything is useful!

I do confirm that the rubber surrounds have holes and tears right round on both speakers - invisible in the photo but sadly very visible to the naked eye!

Like I said to Mattes, if anyone living anywhere near a pair for sale could go and see and listen to them and say whether they were fit to buy and not on their last legs I'd obviously be very interested - but I think the chances of this being possible would be vanishingly small.
If it's for repairs I think I'd need to get someone (a TDL lover!) competent over here to take charge of the job!
Old 2nd April 2020, 06:42 PM   #22
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally View Post
...TDL Studio 1 speakers.
Click the image to open in full size.

TDL Studio 1 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

dave
Old 2nd April 2020, 06:42 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Steve from Portsmouth, yes, I realise that the replacement drivers installed by Pascal were not at all suitable and the sound when I got them back was unrecogniseable. My listening pleasure had pretty well evaporated after that but lately it's become simply impossible to listen to them - I did love them so much when they were working and can't imagine anything else being as good (for me)
Old 2nd April 2020, 06:45 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Hi Planet 10 - yes, I still have the original paper that the speakers came with (looks very retro now!) There's a short text and some photos too. Those diagrams are on the paper!
Question for everybody : I think the cabinets are in good condition but would the foam (which has never been tampered with and so is the same age as the speakers) still do the job or would that have to be replaced too?
Old 2nd April 2020, 06:51 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hello again Mattes, I did see those ones on e-bay (keep going back to look at them again!) but have no means of knowing whether they are still OK or if they are the real deal (ie: TDL from start to finish!)

Message to everybody : Do you actually buy used equipment without seeing it and listening to it beforehand? For the rest of my setup I've always been able to go and look and listen before making a decision.
Old 2nd April 2020, 07:43 PM   #26
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This is not the first time that someone has rocked up here with some broken TDL speakers.

We've looked into those old Elac drivers before:

Click the image to open in full size.

Plastic Polycones, which tend to low breakup around 5kHz. Various models over the years. Interestingly, high Qts in transmission line.

Vikash has delved deeply into his MTM version, the TDL RTL3:

Creating a new MTM Floorstanding speaker using the drivers from the TDL RTL3.

Even measured the raw drivers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the foam is turning to dust by now. But amazing cabinets. Crying out for new drivers. Too good to throw away.

I get the feeling the crossover is quite low, around 2.5kHz, which needs a good tweeter. The unique design point of the bass filter is a shunt resistor around 15R, which is a cheap and cheerful bit of impedance correction that helps the filter work more steeply.

Maybe the XT25 tweeter was a poor choice of replacement here, especially if it is the 30 version rather than the better 60. It traditionally doesn't dig deep. But really, to see what is doable, you must measure the cutout on bass and tweeter. You ought to be able to look at the crossover which is behind the speaker terminals too.

Then assess what is affordable.
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:26 PM   #27
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Sally, can you take a picture of the XO, any elco caps could well have dried out. They are certainly old enuff.

Pictures of your drivers would also help.

dave
Old 7th April 2020, 10:31 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

OK, I've found someone who can come here and do the repairs once the confinement is lifted. I'll send pics and measurements today then we can see what I'd need to order, then get advice from everybody on how to go about it concerning the crossover in particular (and maybe the foam inside the cabinets?)
Old 10th April 2020, 12:35 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default TDL Studio 1 : need replacement drivers

The dimension of the woofer hole seems to be 14.7/8 cm
Replacement woofer : DYNAUDIO 17WLQ 8 ohms N 84875, L1 13

The tweeter hole isn't round (see photo) it's measirement at the widest point is 8.9 cm
Replacement tweeter : Vifa XT255C-30 4 ohms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TDL tweeter hole.jpg (18.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg TDL back of woofer hole.jpg (12.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg TDL 1.jpg (99.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg TDL 2.jpg (110.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 10th April 2020, 12:41 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Steve from Portsmouth : you were quite right about the replacement drivers : maximum respect !!!

TDL Studio 1 : need replacement driversHide this!Advertise here!