Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Why is floor bounce considered only a bass issue?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2019, 07:24 AM   #41
Omholt is offline Omholt  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleypnw View Post
How does a CBT array do that? Would a normal array suffer floor bounce or is it mostly a point source problem?
It has to with the fact that it uses the floor as a mirror, doubling its size.
Why is floor bounce considered only a bass issue?-101611keele-600-jpg

It's related to the directivity. So with CBT there are no reflections above Schroeder from the floor. Obviously there will still be vertical modal behaviour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101611Keele-600.jpg (105.8 KB, 232 views)
Old 13th August 2019, 08:01 AM   #42
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
Thanks gm, my gut says not much help.......
You're welcome! Well, you can definitely feel the difference of doubling drivers [+3] dB more than actually hearing it below ~500 Hz, so reason enough for me, though until you get them up to at least chest level does it start sounding/feeling 'live'. FWIW my duals are centered at my face.

GM
Old 13th August 2019, 08:58 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaf View Post
or a short flooder speaker
Not sure what you mean. But you're referring to a speaker driver placed close to the floor, that alone doesn't avoid floor reflections. Basically makes them arrive closer to the direct signal.
Old 13th August 2019, 11:47 AM   #44
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omholt View Post
Not sure what you mean. But you're referring to a speaker driver placed close to the floor, that alone doesn't avoid floor reflections. Basically makes them arrive closer to the direct signal.
perhaps it sounds counterintuitive but effectively it does, just point the speaker up

please draw a scheme, draw the lines respecting the law of reflection, normal listener's height, the loudspeaker close to the floor, say 20 cm
Old 13th August 2019, 11:54 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
perhaps it sounds counterintuitive but effectively it does, just point the speaker up

please draw a scheme, draw the lines respecting the law of reflection, normal listener's height, the loudspeaker close to the floor, say 20 cm
Totally depended on the vertical directivity of the speaker.

I.e. a very large horn speaker with high directivity index can certainly minimize floor reflections.
Old 13th August 2019, 12:08 PM   #46
FredrikC is offline FredrikC  Norway
diyAudio Member

Get it low enough, and the reflected energy is in phase with the direct sound up to 250-350hz. Then cross it to a high DI horn like the PSE144 and let it do the rest.

Of course, line arrays work; My plan for the next speaker project, is a corner mounted (flush with side walls) LA with synergy style/ coaxial drivers along its length. Should in theory solve all early reflections/SBIR.... just need to buy a house frist
Old 13th August 2019, 01:48 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Totally depended on the vertical directivity of the speaker.

I.e. a very large horn speaker with high directivity index can certainly minimize floor reflections.
I mean sth like this:
Click the image to open in full size.

just draw the lines in the direction of reflections respecting the law of reflections and ...You will get the picture
Old 13th August 2019, 01:53 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I mean sth like this:
Click the image to open in full size.

just draw the lines in the direction of reflections respecting the law of reflections and ...You will get the picture
But that's terrible way to set up a speaker! You end up basically listening to reflected energy.

Plus you don't avoid floor reflections either. It hits the ceiling and go to the floor afterwards. Just delayed.
Old 13th August 2019, 02:16 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But that's terrible way to set up a speaker! You end up basically listening to reflected energy.

Plus you don't avoid floor reflections either. It hits the ceiling and go to the floor afterwards. Just delayed.
Well, contrary to some prejudices there is nothing's wrong with listening to reflected energy and as far as reflections are concerned the delay makes the diference really

But oh well, nevermind
Old 13th August 2019, 02:17 PM   #50
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
Also, I believe the general consensus is that speakers on/in walls have poor soundstaging and this stems from the lack of the same reflections from room boundaries that give rise to the various dreaded "bounces" and cancellations...
The perceived lack of soundstaging from wall-mounted speakers is a psychoacoustic effect and has nothing to do with reflections or a lack thereof.

Close your eyes and when the eyes do not see the wall the ears will paint a beautifully deep soundstage.
But if you do see the wall the brain will simply dismiss auditory cues which hint at depth.

Why is floor bounce considered only a bass issue?Hide this!Advertise here!