Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Why is floor bounce considered only a bass issue?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2019, 09:47 AM   #31
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks gm, my gut says not much help.......
Old 11th August 2019, 10:49 AM   #32
anti is offline anti  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjackalope View Post
Can't this be fixed with an EQ or DSP?
How about a passive method ... a shag carpet?
Old 12th August 2019, 01:57 AM   #33
xandresen is offline xandresen
diyAudio Member

I use 4 sheets of Echo Eliminator acoustic cotton placed on the concrete floor midway between the speakers and my listening position.

Each sheet is 2x4 feet, 2 inches thick. They are available in several colors and actually look sort of OK. I use any extra to line speaker cabinets. I was able to buy a discontinued color for much less.

A cheaper, similar product is ATS Acoustical Cotton Batts. The color and texture are not pleasing on the floor.

Acoustic cotton absorbs as well as dense fiberglass, so 2" sheets won't absorb much below 100Hz but virtually 100% above 250 Hz. Acoustic specifications are at the web site.

Does it sound cleaner/better? Hard to say for sure but I feel better using it.

I first installed large sound absorbing panels hung from the high ceiling as otherwise the concrete floor makes the room have way too much echo. It is pleasant now. Adding the floor sheets doesn't change the room echo that I notice.

I keep the speakers 4 feet away from the back and side walls, in a 14x29 foot room.
Old 12th August 2019, 02:19 AM   #34
davidsrsb is offline davidsrsb  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

People focus on floor bounce because ceiling bounce depends on a huge range of height.
Modern UK houses usually have very low ceilings, so the top of the speaker is getting dangerously close to midway. My ceiling was 19ft, causing a serious lack of bass. I added a mezzanine, that has left me with 9ft and a much smoother bass response.
Old 12th August 2019, 02:45 AM   #35
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjackalope View Post
Can't this be fixed with an EQ or DSP?
Significant problems with that approach. Separating two in room signals is beyond the ability of processing. Then, when they cancel you can't boost them as there is nothing to boost.
Old 12th August 2019, 09:45 AM   #36
Omholt is offline Omholt  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defo View Post
Why is floor bounce considered only a bass issue
It isn't. You get a lot of comb filtering from the floor and that certainly effects the sound quality as well. It's just that we have gotten used to it because it's practically difficult to treat it. But after experimenting with minimizing it, there's no doubt in my mind that leads to a definitive improvement.

A CBT speaker avoids the problem altogether.
Old 12th August 2019, 12:13 PM   #37
Defo is offline Defo  Norway
diyAudio Member

With the woofer close floor which pushes the dip up to around 1300 Hz - could you then remedy this with a thick carpet?
Old 12th August 2019, 12:23 PM   #38
Omholt is offline Omholt  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defo View Post
With the woofer close floor which pushes the dip up to around 1300 Hz - could you then remedy this with a thick carpet?
The crossover here has little to do with the reflections from the floor above Schroeder. It's related to the dispersion pattern.

A thick carpet is very band limited and will only absorb higher frequencies. Besides, a carpet is also quite reflective of many frequencies. Whether it's better than nothing is something each has to decide.
Old 12th August 2019, 06:22 PM   #39
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omholt View Post
It isn't. You get a lot of comb filtering from the floor and that certainly effects the sound quality as well. It's just that we have gotten used to it because it's practically difficult to treat it. But after experimenting with minimizing it, there's no doubt in my mind that leads to a definitive improvement.

or a short flooder speaker
Old 12th August 2019, 10:02 PM   #40
bradleypnw is offline bradleypnw
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omholt View Post
How does a CBT array do that? Would a normal array suffer floor bounce or is it mostly a point source problem?

Why is floor bounce considered only a bass issue?Hide this!Advertise here!