Why is floor bounce considered only a bass issue?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How does a CBT array do that? Would a normal array suffer floor bounce or is it mostly a point source problem?
It has to with the fact that it uses the floor as a mirror, doubling its size.
attachment.php

It's related to the directivity. So with CBT there are no reflections above Schroeder from the floor. Obviously there will still be vertical modal behaviour.

Attachments

• 101611Keele-600.jpg
    101611Keele-600.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 533
Not sure what you mean. But you're referring to a speaker driver placed close to the floor, that alone doesn't avoid floor reflections. Basically makes them arrive closer to the direct signal.

perhaps it sounds counterintuitive but effectively it does, just point the speaker up

please draw a scheme, draw the lines respecting the law of reflection, normal listener's height, the loudspeaker close to the floor, say 20 cm

perhaps it sounds counterintuitive but effectively it does, just point the speaker up

please draw a scheme, draw the lines respecting the law of reflection, normal listener's height, the loudspeaker close to the floor, say 20 cm
Totally depended on the vertical directivity of the speaker.

I.e. a very large horn speaker with high directivity index can certainly minimize floor reflections.

Get it low enough, and the reflected energy is in phase with the direct sound up to 250-350hz. Then cross it to a high DI horn like the PSE144 and let it do the rest.

Of course, line arrays work; My plan for the next speaker project, is a corner mounted (flush with side walls) LA with synergy style/ coaxial drivers along its length. Should in theory solve all early reflections/SBIR.... just need to buy a house frist:D

I mean sth like this:
p10703301lsvf.jpg

just draw the lines in the direction of reflections respecting the law of reflections and ...You will get the picture
But that's terrible way to set up a speaker! You end up basically listening to reflected energy.

Plus you don't avoid floor reflections either. It hits the ceiling and go to the floor afterwards. Just delayed.

But that's terrible way to set up a speaker! You end up basically listening to reflected energy.

Plus you don't avoid floor reflections either. It hits the ceiling and go to the floor afterwards. Just delayed.

Well, contrary to some prejudices there is nothing's wrong with listening to reflected energy and as far as reflections are concerned the delay makes the diference really

But oh well, nevermind

Also, I believe the general consensus is that speakers on/in walls have poor soundstaging and this stems from the lack of the same reflections from room boundaries that give rise to the various dreaded "bounces" and cancellations...

The perceived lack of soundstaging from wall-mounted speakers is a psychoacoustic effect and has nothing to do with reflections or a lack thereof.

Close your eyes and when the eyes do not see the wall the ears will paint a beautifully deep soundstage.
But if you do see the wall the brain will simply dismiss auditory cues which hint at depth.

The perceived lack of soundstaging from wall-mounted speakers is a psychoacoustic effect and has nothing to do with reflections or a lack thereof.

Close your eyes and when the eyes do not see the wall the ears will paint a beautifully deep soundstage.
But if you do see the wall the brain will simply dismiss auditory cues which hint at depth.
Right on!

This is an interesting thread, it seems to display people's thoughts/fears about reflections rather that the reality of how we perceive them? My understanding is that so long as the reflections have similar spectral content to the direct sound and they are sufficiently delayed they are not a bad thing and sometimes are beneficial depending mainly on personal preference. Space behind speakers can add depth to the sound stage so long as they are far enough away, I'm not saying it isn't a visual thing as well to a degree.

Reflections will never have the same spectral content to the direct signal, not matter the how good the power response of the speaker is. Secondly, the fact that it arrives later effects the sound as well, and very early reflections are for most of part always bad. But it's correct to say that a speaker with uniform directivity will have less coloration from from the boundaries, and that's really all.

This is an interesting thread, it seems to display people's thoughts/fears about reflections rather that the reality of how we perceive them?

If you have some box speakers knocking around you can test it for yourself.

Place them on a wall, look at them and play music.
Depth of soundstage will be close to zero.

Now close your eyes while the music plays and perceived depth will return.
Right until you look again.

The omnis I've heard produce spacious mush or in other words a spaciousness which is not related to the recording.

Last edited:
I've not heard any omnis, I'd like to. I've speakers which I can convert from monopole to near dipole quite easily and I like both, spaciousness that's not on the recording can sound good to me, it depends on the recording, simpler small group can make it sound like they're in the room, doesn't work so well for full orchestra, for obvious reasons. As a one size fits all compromise a monopole is probably best in the average smaller living room.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.