Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Multiple Entry Horns by CNC as flatpacks
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2019, 07:17 PM   #1
Barniboy is offline Barniboy  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Multiple Entry Horns by CNC as flatpacks

I have for some time followed various threads of multiple entry horns and finally got my own project started. However, I don’t have a quality table saw that a MEH project requires, nor the extra skills and tools needed, let alone a place to put it.
Perhaps I share this inadequacy with other DIYaudio members.
The following is my experience at designing and manufacturing Multiple Entry Horns as the Prime Mover in a Group Buy project involving a CAD/CAM process and routed by CNC to flatpacks like below:

Despite some cost doing Computer Numeric Control, we are very happy with the appearance and performance of the horns so far.
We hope the following can serve to inspire other DIYaudio members, and we shall strive to pass-on as many of the data aquired, as the project goes along, to hopefully act as a stepstone for a CNC MEH project that you may have in mind.

“Beloved child has many names” a DK saying goes, so let me start by dubbing my horn the “Rashorn” as part of my surname.
Instead of filling this thread with text and illustrations which take up space, and will take ages for me, you are welcome to my cloud at:

ME Horns by CNC - Google Drive

where I have put the final drawings and some pics., and posted this document as an evolving document, that I hope to maintain as the project goes on.
Currently, as you will see, the horn structures are ready, but the DSP cross-over is in an early stage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04 ME Horn assembly.jpg (103.0 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg Rashorn Assy Advice.jpg (113.6 KB, 422 views)
Old 5th August 2019, 12:02 AM   #2
Dave Zan is online now Dave Zan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barniboy View Post
we are very happy with the appearance and performance of the horns so far...
Very nice work, impressive coordination of the 3d models and CNC.
I look forward to see your DSP details.
My compliments!

Best wishes
David
Old 5th August 2019, 02:11 AM   #3
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

Nice! VERY thorough work there (as described in your document).

I'm glad that the FR-5 midranges worked out for you. I tried that on a later plywood horn, but had some problems (probably with the horn itself, I tried to change too many things at one time and lost track of what was causing what effects).

I'm surprised that the HF response seems kind of bumpy, I wonder what that might be about? Are you rounding the throat entry for the DE250? I used a 1" drill to take the square to round, when I did the Cosynes, then blended it a little more with some sandpaper. I don't know what effect that might have had. I'm using a DE250 (well, a good clone of it) now with a 3D printed horn following 'oblate spheroid' curve there and the response with that came out reasonably smooth (see attached)
Multiple Entry Horns by CNC as flatpacks-t_0-png

I don't quite see what the narrow board that are on just forward of the woofers outside the board are for?
Multiple Entry Horns by CNC as flatpacks-png
Is that a mounting arrangement maybe?
Attached Images
File Type: png back.PNG (92.4 KB, 720 views)
File Type: png T_0.png (21.0 KB, 398 views)

Last edited by bwaslo; 5th August 2019 at 02:39 AM.
Old 5th August 2019, 07:15 AM   #4
Barniboy is offline Barniboy  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bill, you know you made the inspiration ;-)
The throat section is "raw". The round-to-square section as routed. Indeed, some sanding could smooth things, but as it is, it should maintain conical expansion all the way in to only 2mm from the CD driver exit (stainless steel flange thickness).
I am not sure what you mean by "in front of the woofers", but I think you refer to the long pieces of the final flare. I did not bother to cut the corners back at some strange angle. Instead it simply continue to the plane of the edges of the short pieces of the final flare. By this, a plane face develops on the sides, which will make it easier to make some fixing of the horn to the rear chamber with less visible screws.
If you mean the white blobs in the pic., they are simply 3D printed fill-ins, made only for a nice appearence, seemingly blending three faces together.
(yes, I know its on the back, but hey guys, why do we do this ?
Because its fun !)
Old 5th August 2019, 08:46 AM   #5
kipman725 is offline kipman725  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
Impressive project, I guess from the assembly instructions and parts lists your planning on offering a kit for sale?

Looking at the individual driver frequency responses the sensitivity on the DE250 seems low? getting up to 2kHz on the mid-range is very good. I would guess maximum output of this design is limited by the woofer sections low bass capability where it no longer has horn loading?
Old 5th August 2019, 06:15 PM   #6
etalon90 is offline etalon90  Canada
diyAudio Member

would be interested in one kit.
Old 6th August 2019, 12:19 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I was referring to this piece (and the other similar one at the bottom) that appears to stick out the back --
Multiple Entry Horns by CNC as flatpacks-marked-png
What does that do?
Attached Images
File Type: png back marked up.png (73.3 KB, 263 views)
Old 6th August 2019, 12:21 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Oh. Never mind, I see it now. It's just the wide flare piece continued out to the ends (not a bad idea, that would be handy for mounting).
Old 6th August 2019, 12:33 PM   #9
mark100 is offline mark100  United States
diyAudio Member

Great project, thx for posting.
Especially appreciate the documentation
Old 6th August 2019, 05:46 PM   #10
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Great stuff. It's hard to read the FR graphs though- any chance of reposting them somewhat brighter? Is the endgame a group buy?

Multiple Entry Horns by CNC as flatpacksHide this!Advertise here!