Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Seeking new build advice - please offer your .02
Seeking new build advice - please offer your .02
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2019, 11:43 PM   #31
BeanAnimal is offline BeanAnimal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
-with a more traditional design, definitely the Elsinore(s).

It's got good extension in-room, and a fantastic crossover (phase response) + a very easy impedance. The crossover is easy (electrically speaking w/ components and wiring). The driver's aren't expensive, and the waveguide for the tweeter (though not inexpensive) is of very high quality.

The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Elsinore Speakers DIY

All with a reasonably narrow baffle ..and the baffles can be done to look good:
Extremely interesting design... and I am taking a very serious look, though to be brutally honest, In the hour I have spent reading the thread and site, I find It to exhausting. Joe may be the most brilliant, benevolent and humble guy on earth (honestly), and I may have missed something where multiple people asked insanely stupid question or made folkish comments or demands... but it feels like every single post, question or comment is responded to with a 5 paragraph diatribe where he explains how complex the FREE design is and that even looking at it inquisitively will cause him to do iterative and exhausting rework using dozens of complex tools and models, so as not to tarnish his reputation... Worse, it appears contagious, as those posts are followed by snarky posts from admirers dog pilling on. Maybe I was just unlucky enough to skip through and hit the 15 worst pages.

I don’t mean any disrespect at all... I am just not sure I have the patience to wade through all of it..

So i gotta ask... is it all that? That much Better than the other designs we have touched on here? Personal experience anyone?

Last edited by BeanAnimal; 12th August 2019 at 12:07 AM.
Old 13th August 2019, 11:35 PM   #32
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't read into the thread.. just skim it for subjective responses of those who have built it.

As to the design itself, just look at the measured result on his webpage. (..and the schematic for the crossover.)

There are other designs that feature some similarities.

Note Lipinski Sound's step response:

Lipinski Sound L-707 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

-though I'm not fond of either that tweeter or MTM's in general.

The Elsinore is a much better design than the 707, with a much better tweeter (and likely better midbass driver's as well).
Old 14th August 2019, 12:15 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
I wouldn't read into the thread.. just skim it for subjective responses of those who have built it.

As to the design itself, just look at the measured result on his webpage. (..and the schematic for the crossover.)

There are other designs that feature some similarities.

Note Lipinski Sound's step response:

Lipinski Sound L-707 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

-though I'm not fond of either that tweeter or MTM's in general.

The Elsinore is a much better design than the 707, with a much better tweeter (and likely better midbass driver's as well).
Have you built or listened to the Elsinore.

Also - I broke down read the whole thread... Jeff is a character and it is obvious that he puts a lot into everything he does. My comments were a bit off base...
Old 14th August 2019, 12:35 AM   #34
gabdx is offline gabdx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Bean,

With 400 watts per channel of available power ( 4 x kt150) , there is no reason to sacrifice the sound with separate subs.

I have similar amplifier designs and I had 500watt class AB subs, now I am building another 3 way all scan speak.

I tried other designs with multiple drivers etc, the best is to kiss

So maybe A26 something like that if you don't want something too big.
Old 14th August 2019, 01:03 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanAnimal View Post
Have you built or listened to the Elsinore.
Neither, but I've done something very similar (..and likely will again).

I have heard the driver's (at least with the older SB drivers) in other designs: very good stuff, though the Peerless tweeter sounds a bit over-damped to me (..though no where near as bad as the double ring tweeter in the Lipinski loudspeaker).

Having more than a good idea of the result, if I wasn't into DIY-design and I was looking for a floor-standing monopole, I build it for myself. ..I don't think I can say that for any other (somewhat similar) design.
Old 14th August 2019, 01:07 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

..if I wasn't doing a traditional design (and wasn't into DIY-design), I'd probably select the LXmini and move them out into the room for listening, along with Rymik subwoofer(s).
Old 14th August 2019, 03:29 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Always intrigued by the Linkwitz designs... but wow, what a leap of faith to jump in and build something so different from the accepted norms. I would love to hear the minis in one form or another.

Last edited by BeanAnimal; 14th August 2019 at 03:42 AM.
Old 14th August 2019, 05:34 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

I LOVE radial designs (like the LXmini and Pluto's midbass). By far the best soundstage, well..at least in the midrange. I never did a point-source radial higher in freq.. so I couldn't say that it's "the best", but I always wanted to. ..and I have a design in mind to partially accommodate that (but it's a few years away).

Seeking new build advice - please offer your .02Hide this!Advertise here!