Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Stephens Trusonic 120cx speakers - Best type of enclosure design?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2019, 10:41 PM   #1
vishalk is offline vishalk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thumbs down Stephens Trusonic 120cx speakers - Best type of enclosure design?

Hi All

I have a pair of lovely trusonic 120cx, man they are sexy looking speakers!

There isn't a great deal of information out there about them especially there parameters.

I have a dayton dat v2 which i can use to get some speaker parameters, how accurate this will be i am not sure but it's a starting point.

Anyone got an idea on enclosures for this?

I was hoping for a few ideas:

A nice onken designed enclosure would suit these nicely, maybe a back loaded horn? I think i've even seen these used in a Karlson type design.

Any information or advice is always appreciated!

Thanks

trusonic.jpg

onken.jpg
Old 28th July 2019, 01:41 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Really need the T/S specs of each driver.

GM
Old 28th July 2019, 08:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Agreed, OK I'll use the dayton dat v2 to get some results.
Old 28th July 2019, 01:05 PM   #4
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Great drivers. Edge-wound voice coils. Feather-light cone assembly. Good magnet motor. Don't touch the surrounds - DAMHIK.

I can't think of any reason you'd need to know the T/S specs. They have wonderfully low resonance and will be great in a largish sealed or leaky-box enclosure.

B.
Old 28th July 2019, 01:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Leaky box like a goodmans aru type enclosure? Suprised I cant find any info on box designs for these drivers. Was hoping for a more exotic type enclosure, instead of guessing the dimensions I'll have to source or test the speakers to get some TS specs.
Old 28th July 2019, 05:36 PM   #6
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

FYI/FWIW and why T/S is required just to properly determine what the definition of 'largish' is: Stephens-Trusonic 120FR - An example of Audio Karma at its finest | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

GM
Old 28th July 2019, 05:58 PM   #7
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

+1 although I thought my plain-language description was all that was needed. Not logical to "design for" as GM suggests than simply to make biggest box that's feasible and get the most you can.

I have a Stephens 150w about 60 years and have mounted in all kinds of ways*, finally 17-foot labyrinth last year (exotic enough?).

17 foot pipe sub 12-230 Hz 5dB

However, almost certainly wise to toss the stock crossover and L-pad and go to DSP (OK, almost anything fresh).

I'd start with some impedance runs (needs no mic) and also mic runs to see how tweeter behaves. I am skeptical of accuracy of made-at-home T/S testing.

B.
*absolutely fabulous in a giant open-baffle because the 20 Hz resonance is perfect.
Old 28th July 2019, 06:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks B

I have and use REW with a proper mic, so I was going to do a whole lot of tests just to get some performance readings aswell as the TS measurements (the dayton dat v2 is actually pretty good)

I'll read through your thread for some inspiration.
Old 29th July 2019, 12:29 AM   #10
johnsurnamerobinson is offline johnsurnamerobinson
diyAudio Member

I think what bentoronto calls a leaky box is the aperiodic enclosure using an acoustic resistance unit.Goodmans made them many years ago, before the work of T/S.
Seem to have gone out of favour.(like resistitve reflex vents).Personally I think the idea has some merit.

Stephens Trusonic 120cx speakers - Best type of enclosure design?Hide this!Advertise here!