Help Designing Home Theater Using Seas Excel Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

First off I want to say that you guys know wayyyy more about audio then I ever will. I recently got married and the wife wants me to re-do the home theater with smaller boxes (currently 1.1 cuft per box). Smaller box is key. I told her I would but I wanted to upgrade to a 13.2 system.

Here is what I currently have
1. I have 10 - SEAS Excel W12CY-001 (E0021) 4.5" magnesium Cone Woofer
2. I also have 10 - SEAS Excel W18E-001 (E0018) 7" magnesium Cone Woofer
3. Room is 12x18
4. Wife wants to avoid tower speakers (in wall or mounted on the wall is preferred)

I am looking for ideas on what to do with the existing drivers I have, help with crossovers, box design and tweeter recommendations.

One idea I found was this design - which uses the 7" drivers I have but I would need to add ScanSpeak Revelator R2904/7000-05 Tweeter, Black Face, Silver Plug
https://www.madisound.com/library/stacks/W18E-001_R2904-7000.pdf
https://www.madisound.com/library/stacks/W18E-001_R2904-7000-1.pdf

No cu/ft is specified on that setup.

Another setup I found uses the T25CF-002 tweeter in a 3 way setup. I prefer this tweeter but the midbass (with the tweeter and the 4") would not be ideal.
https://www.madisound.com/library/stacks/2xW22EX-001_2xW12CY-001_T25CF-002.pdf

A 3rd setup I found uses my 4" along with a T25CF-002 in a small box (almost ideal) but I dont have the crossover
http://www.tonalspeakers.com/
review --> https://www.monoandstereo.com/2018/07/tonal-speakers-mini-r-speakers-review.html

The bass wont change but if you are curious I have eight 12's in 4 T-TQWT boxes (this wont change). Bass will come in through the ceiling. TB46 helped me with this design and I am very greatful :D

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Last edited:
More than anything, this is too ambitious a project to do all at once. Your opinions and tastes at this point will be radically different than they will be towards the end.

I encourage you to pair this down to 1 pair, perhaps 1 pair + a sub. Get that dialed in. Most of all, build your own skill set and part preferences.

After that, everything else will seem like a breeze.

Although I haven't heard these two tweeters, I think the Millennium fits better with the Magnesium cones with its lower efficiency and appearance.
And the Cerscendo is for the Nextel series, where a little higher efficiency might be good, and its look fits better here too.

They were probably designed that way, which, of course, doesn't mean they can't be mixed.

Listening-based reports also support the above, mentioning the Millennium's well-meaning more metallic (not only with the Mag cones) voice and the Crescendo's slightly more subdued character.

Last edited:
Seeing Seas Crescendo prices, and knowing sonic character of Scan Speak fabric domes and ring radiators, plus Crescendo listening experience, I would consider Scan Speak Be domes with small flanges, Bliesma tweeters or SB Be domes. And crossover ~2kHz.

These look very appealing but they jump the price up quite a bit. I also notice that the efficiency is very different from the drivers I am using (86db vs 93db)
Scanspeak Illuminator D3004/6640-00 1" Tweeter Beryllium Dome

Without being able to listen this is really quite a difficult decision.

Last edited:
Is there a way to get the crossover frequencies from this design? He gives the values and I would buy from him but the quote was 11k for crossovers only!!! Im thinking I can get them cheaper if I order locally (from US)

My thought is I can basically replicate (very similar to) the woofer and mid designs

SEAS TJL3W

TJL3W_W18E-W12-OWI_V7mkII_B.GIF

Last edited:
Something to reflect upon

I am looking for ideas on what to do with the existing drivers I have, help with crossovers, box design and tweeter recommendations.

Scrap the design ideas, get rid of the Seas drivers and purchase something like this. It will sound wonderful, give you still enough work to place these in the walls. You can thank me later, once you are much older.

Attachments

• Dynaudio S4-W65.png
    Dynaudio S4-W65.png
    284 KB · Views: 123
Simulate a 3-way with your Seas Excell drivers, using a 2.5kHz crossover between the sealed W12CY and the high quality sound with modest cost SB_acoustics 0.8" diameter SB21SDC-4 dome tweeter. This combination should have smooth directivity control over the high frequencies. A ported cabinet design with the Seas W18 will produce F3 < 40Hz, which will blend with your subwoofers.

A 5.2 home theater seems adequate for your room size.

Search for medium quality and price passive crossover parts. Without extensive room treatments, you will still get great 5.2 HT sound at this cost/component level.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.