Replacement tweeter Tannoy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Going to take a punt at replacing tweeters on my 3 way Tannoy R3s before throwing them away if doesn't sound good enough

Both have blown

The speakers are rated 6 ohm would I be right in thinking please (no markings on tweeter) best candidate for replacement would likely be 8 ohm ones than 4 ?

I might try and attempt to tweak crossover if sounds completely wrong but will try with Audyssey XT32 to see if will correct (does phase and frequency)

Or is it likely 50 dollars wasted and may as well chuck them ?

The values 4, 6 and 8‎Ω are merely nominal values. You would need access to an impedance versus frequency curve of the original tweeter to make a reasoned judgement regarding a replacement.

However, an 8‎Ω replacement is more likely to be an amplifier friendly choice than a 4‎Ω.

It's really up to you decide if it's worth the financial risk involved in undertaking a tweeter modification. However, I can say that $50 won't go very far in regard to the purchasing of an equivalent set of speakers!

Have you downloaded the Tannoy R3 manual? Tannoy revolution r3 manual

Still amazed by a Non DC Tannoy.
Regardless.. ask Tannoy ??
They likely have an idea of what tweeter was fitted and could at least offer a recommendation.
Ad hoc throwing in of spurious drivers .. hasn't worked well for most everyone.. in the past

The tweeter couldn't be any more conventional

Thanks for the replies much appreciated :)

I can try tannoy but I suspect they won't give technical support out at this level ?

Could just chuck tbh my JBL LSr305s sound way better than the tannoys ever did but it seems a waste chucking out all that lovely wood and could do with using the JBLs elsewhere

The tweeter couldn't be any more conventional
It certainly looks conventional.

Go on, give it a go - you've nothing to lose apart from time and money!

And this is a diy forum - go ahead and have some fun! :)

Attachments

• Tannoy R3 tweeters.JPG
    Tannoy R3 tweeters.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 159
  • R3 Tweeters.jpg
    R3 Tweeters.jpg
    629.8 KB · Views: 174
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.