Big Two-Way Horn System for Mono?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Small world: I live in souf' Austin and my folks used to live in Cibolo.

Something like you're using: horn/bass bin 2-way (1505s, though, wow!) or something in the corner is what I'm gravitating to now.

A friend just gave me a spare Edcor stereo to mono coupling transformer, so now I just need to buy an Ortofon 78 cartridge, which apparently will work fine with my Ortofon 2M Black (Shibata) stylus. I have a ton of mono classical records I acquired a few years ago and haven't heard yet.

Nice, I grew up in South Austin, moved down here to San Marcos a number of years ago.

Sounds like you're getting the source gear together for certain!

FWIW, historically, deep bass is < ~60 Hz and depending on whose chart you use, 135 Hz is either just bass, mid bass or upper bass. :headbash:

Up until a decade or so ago, live prosound's 'deep' bass peaked at 80 Hz and fully -24 dB/40 Hz and I imagine still more the rule than the exception at large outdoor concerts.

GM

After realising that 90% of my listening if of pre-1930's recordings I made up this - which gives lots of pleasure!

142hz hybrid-horn with Axi2050 and a sealed bass 18FH500.

The horn driven by a 300b amp with Nickel OPT and is loaded from 200hz and is pretty flat to about 15khz. I use a WARM tube EQ and adjust freely for each recording. The bass is driven by a Behringer NX3000D which adds the delay to meet the treble horn.

This also functions as a centre speaker in a 3 way stereo system.

Attachments

• IMG_20190728_225510.jpg
    IMG_20190728_225510.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_20190728_225611.jpg
    IMG_20190728_225611.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 220
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
After realising that 90% of my listening if of pre-1930's recordings I made up this - which gives lots of pleasure!

The horn driven by a 300b amp with Nickel OPT and is loaded from 200hz and is pretty flat to about 15khz. I use a WARM tube EQ and adjust freely for each recording. The bass is driven by a Behringer NX3000D which adds the delay to meet the treble horn.

That's a great horn system. I've heard wonderful things about the Axi2050 driver. How do you like it?

Well, it's going to take a while to explore what it's capable of - there aren't not many drivers around that can go as low. My hunch is that the 200-800 range is really fantastic. But I'll need to try them on different horns etc.

There are very few that I know of certainly. I'm excited to hear your thoughts on the Axi250, I didn't even realize it was publicly available.

Cheers,
Gable

That is a very beautiful hornspeaker. In my limited experience of building horns, the bigger the better. Even in mono they can sound very three dimensional. I have found that not pushing them too much with excessive eq gives a sound which is less tireless on the ear.

tapestryofsound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.