Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Big Two-Way Horn System for Mono?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2019, 06:46 PM   #21
soldersmoker is offline soldersmoker  United States
diyAudio Member

BTW, I've also contacted John Inslow about possibly buying his plans for the DIY tapped horn sub. That might be a lot of fun.
Old 26th July 2019, 06:51 PM   #22
pcgab is offline pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldersmoker View Post
Small world: I live in souf' Austin and my folks used to live in Cibolo.

Something like you're using: horn/bass bin 2-way (1505s, though, wow!) or something in the corner is what I'm gravitating to now.

A friend just gave me a spare Edcor stereo to mono coupling transformer, so now I just need to buy an Ortofon 78 cartridge, which apparently will work fine with my Ortofon 2M Black (Shibata) stylus. I have a ton of mono classical records I acquired a few years ago and haven't heard yet.
Nice, I grew up in South Austin, moved down here to San Marcos a number of years ago.

Sounds like you're getting the source gear together for certain!
Old 26th July 2019, 07:00 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldersmoker View Post
BTW, I've also contacted John Inslow about possibly buying his plans for the DIY tapped horn sub. That might be a lot of fun.
I have a pair of his 135hZ mid-bass horns that I built a few years ago. They're fantastic horns, and John is a great guy.
Old 27th July 2019, 12:10 PM   #24
soldersmoker is offline soldersmoker  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgab View Post
I have a pair of his 135hZ mid-bass horns that I built a few years ago. They're fantastic horns, and John is a great guy.
I just sprang for his plans. It seems like a fairly simple way to get deep bass fairly unobtrusively. I've always wanted to hear tapped horns. Now I'll want those mid-bass horns . . .

Last edited by soldersmoker; 27th July 2019 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spring sprang sprung
Old 27th July 2019, 03:07 PM   #25
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

FWIW, historically, deep [sub] bass is < ~60 Hz and depending on whose chart you use, 135 Hz is either just bass, mid bass or upper bass.

Up until a decade or so ago, live prosound's 'deep' bass peaked at 80 Hz and fully -24 dB/40 Hz and I imagine still more the rule than the exception at large outdoor concerts.

GM
Old 28th July 2019, 11:13 PM   #26
maravedis is offline maravedis  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

After realising that 90% of my listening if of pre-1930's recordings I made up this - which gives lots of pleasure!

142hz hybrid-horn with Axi2050 and a sealed bass 18FH500.

The horn driven by a 300b amp with Nickel OPT and is loaded from 200hz and is pretty flat to about 15khz. I use a WARM tube EQ and adjust freely for each recording. The bass is driven by a Behringer NX3000D which adds the delay to meet the treble horn.

This also functions as a centre speaker in a 3 way stereo system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190728_225510.jpg (520.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190728_225611.jpg (553.0 KB, 95 views)
Old 28th July 2019, 11:58 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maravedis View Post
After realising that 90% of my listening if of pre-1930's recordings I made up this - which gives lots of pleasure!

The horn driven by a 300b amp with Nickel OPT and is loaded from 200hz and is pretty flat to about 15khz. I use a WARM tube EQ and adjust freely for each recording. The bass is driven by a Behringer NX3000D which adds the delay to meet the treble horn.

That's a great horn system. I've heard wonderful things about the Axi2050 driver. How do you like it?
Old 29th July 2019, 11:18 PM   #28
maravedis is offline maravedis  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgab View Post
That's a great horn system. I've heard wonderful things about the Axi2050 driver. How do you like it?
Well, it's going to take a while to explore what it's capable of - there aren't not many drivers around that can go as low. My hunch is that the 200-800 range is really fantastic. But I'll need to try them on different horns etc.
Old 30th July 2019, 12:38 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well, it's going to take a while to explore what it's capable of - there aren't not many drivers around that can go as low. My hunch is that the 200-800 range is really fantastic. But I'll need to try them on different horns etc.
There are very few that I know of certainly. I'm excited to hear your thoughts on the Axi250, I didn't even realize it was publicly available.

Cheers,
Gable
Old 30th July 2019, 01:23 AM   #30
tapestryofsound is offline tapestryofsound  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:

That is a very beautiful hornspeaker. In my limited experience of building horns, the bigger the better. Even in mono they can sound very three dimensional. I have found that not pushing them too much with excessive eq gives a sound which is less tireless on the ear.

tapestryofsound

Big Two-Way Horn System for Mono?Hide this!Advertise here!