Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Big Two-Way Horn System for Mono?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2019, 12:12 PM   #11
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

So you say you want wide dispersion. I can see there are two ways to have mono. One is clean and dry, for an accurate result. The other is to mix it up with the room to add spaciousness, to compensate for the lack of stereo.

One warrants careful inspection of room interaction to keep it tamed and minimal. The other warrants careful inspection of room interaction to make it inclusive and thorough.

When you say wide dispersion I assume you want the latter option. Sensitivity may potentially get dissolved into the reverberant field somewhat, but you also open options such as a ring of woofers. A 360 degree radial horn is a common starting point for an omnidirectional speaker.
Old 22nd July 2019, 01:24 PM   #12
soldersmoker is offline soldersmoker  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
So you say you want wide dispersion. I can see there are two ways to have mono. One is clean and dry, for an accurate result. The other is to mix it up with the room to add spaciousness, to compensate for the lack of stereo.
The speaker will be in a corner, pointed to the center of the room. I'm not really all that concerned with the need to emulate the spaciousness of stereo sound, to the contrary, I want a relatively neutral presentation. I already have three other stereo systems, so I'm not particularly interested in trying to mimic that sound. So I guess I tend toward wanting accuracy, tempered with the sound of SET.

The speaker will be projecting into the room over the back of a couch about six feet away, so you can see I'm not worried about the usual stereo sweet spot positioning. I just want to load the room with beautiful mono! Maybe my need for "wide dispersion" is misplaced? Perhaps a typical dispersion pattern is fine for what I'm trying to do? I was just assuming I'd need more dispersion. I could definitely be wrong about that.

Right now, I'm gravitating towards something "simple" like an Altec A7 copy. I suppose I might need to build a tapped horn subwoofer too. I heard Joe Roberts' big VOTTs in Austin years ago with their custom monster-sized inductors. Unfortunately it was pearls before swine because I didn't realize how special his system was back then. What a moron I was (am???). He bought a ham transceiver from me and we were doing the radio thing, mostly, though I recognized he had a killer stereo.
Old 22nd July 2019, 03:12 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

After considering all you wrote, I could see you enjoying a corner system. The simplest of which would be quarter spacing your baffles to work with the room walls. A challenge, to be sure, but rewarding. Once you go into the corner, you have to play by corner rules.

Fitting an expanding horn into a corner can be a little more complex. Blending with the existing walls, but allowing for free expansion to continue into the room.

If you bring an expanding horn out into the room, however, It becomes big really quickly.
Old 23rd July 2019, 05:38 PM   #14
brad944911 is offline brad944911  United States
diyAudio Member

Smoker, Have you looked into the Pi speakers corner horns? It does come in kit form...pretty reasonable price with a good community forum for support. the only thing is the dispersion consideration...
Brad
Old 24th July 2019, 05:59 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Only one downside to a good corner system is you need to do something along the lines of multi-subs, as the bass will be deeply entrenched in the room and its modes.
Old 26th July 2019, 05:58 PM   #16
pcgab is offline pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member

I use a mono system in my garage, Altec 288c/1505 with 4x eminence alpha 15a's open baffle for lf.

Open baffle lf may not work as well loaded into a corner, though I don't know for certain tbh. You could always try some of JC Morrison's designs for lf:

race for the bottom – lab jc

You could approximate some of those designs very easily, with some fairly basic woodworking. Then you could iterate somewhat inexpensively to get a design nailed down.

I enjoy listening in mono, summed with a UTC A-20 ala JE Labs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0262.jpg (864.5 KB, 94 views)
Old 26th July 2019, 06:01 PM   #17
pcgab is offline pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member

stupid sideways pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_02621.jpg (549.6 KB, 95 views)
Old 26th July 2019, 06:32 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
After considering all you wrote, I could see you enjoying a corner system. The simplest of which would be quarter spacing your baffles to work with the room walls. A challenge, to be sure, but rewarding. Once you go into the corner, you have to play by corner rules.

Fitting an expanding horn into a corner can be a little more complex. Blending with the existing walls, but allowing for free expansion to continue into the room.

If you bring an expanding horn out into the room, however, It becomes big really quickly.
Sincere thanks for taking the time to imagine what I'd like, based on what I've said so far. I think keeping it in the corner might be the most pragmatic way to go about this. I did say I wanted a big speaker, but, yeah, there are limits.
Old 26th July 2019, 06:37 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad944911 View Post
Smoker, Have you looked into the Pi speakers corner horns? It does come in kit form...pretty reasonable price with a good community forum for support. the only thing is the dispersion consideration...
Brad
I have looked into Pi's, and have admired them for years. I even made a set of Econowaves--Zilch used the Pis as his inspiration, I believe: a pair of Large Advents with Dayton polyimide CDs. I actually rotated them into the main stereo again recently. Problem is, the Pis I like best are too expensive for me, even if I got just one.
Old 26th July 2019, 06:43 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgab View Post
stupid sideways pic
Small world: I live in souf' Austin and my folks used to live in Cibolo.

Something like you're using: horn/bass bin 2-way (1505s, though, wow!) or something in the corner is what I'm gravitating to now.

A friend just gave me a spare Edcor stereo to mono coupling transformer, so now I just need to buy an Ortofon 78 cartridge, which apparently will work fine with my Ortofon 2M Black (Shibata) stylus. I have a ton of mono classical records I acquired a few years ago and haven't heard yet.

Big Two-Way Horn System for Mono?Hide this!Advertise here!