Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Monacor SPH-300KE, loud music, light behind the membrane
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2019, 06:21 PM   #1
eilon is offline eilon  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Monacor SPH-300KE, loud music, light behind the membrane

Hello,
I had a little accident last night.. I was listening to very loud music with my SPH-300KE and after 2 hours, I saw a short light behind the membrane with a little "plop" sound.. The speaker still works fine, but I would like to know what it was..

Greetings,
Eilon
Old 22nd July 2019, 12:23 AM   #2
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

This is my pure guess!

The tinsel wires may have shorted together momentarily as they contacted the aluminium speaker basket where it abuts the magnet, due to overexcursion of the voice coil.

See enlarged photo of the position of the tinsel wires on this Monacor site: MONACOR: SPH-300KE
Old 22nd July 2019, 03:31 PM   #3
eilon is offline eilon  Germany
diyAudio Member

So nothing to worry about?
Old 22nd July 2019, 04:05 PM   #4
pdul is offline pdul  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Maybe a good idea to put some insulation between the wires and wires and basket to avoid a repetition.
Old 22nd July 2019, 04:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

If that really was the cause, I'd worry about the SPL at which you are listening to music!
Old 24th July 2019, 08:02 AM   #6
Mario Pankov is offline Mario Pankov  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
If that really was the cause, I'd worry about the SPL at which you are listening to music!
These Monacor drivers bottom out easily, unfortunately. They require a small enclosure to prevent this but this limits low frequency performance.

the light behind the membrane is because the weaving of the cone has gaps which are damped with some transparent resin. If you raise the speaker against sunlight (indeed any of the Monacor Kevlar ones) you can see through.
Old 29th July 2019, 11:04 PM   #7
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Pankov View Post
These Monacor drivers bottom out easily, unfortunately. They require a small enclosure to prevent this but this limits low frequency performance.
The problem is, a small enclosure would only help if it is a sealed enclosure. If you want to use them in a BR enclosure, you'll have to use a subsonic filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Pankov View Post
the light behind the membrane is because the weaving of the cone has gaps which are damped with some transparent resin. If you raise the speaker against sunlight (indeed any of the Monacor Kevlar ones) you can see through.
If there's a light behind the membrane, it's most likely because of a tweeter or midrange protection circuit (a serial light bulb) in the crossover. After the overload and resulting high impedance of the light bulb it should have returned to normal function.
Old 30th July 2019, 12:15 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post
a serial light bulb
A good call, but would that explain the little 'plop' sound?
Old 30th July 2019, 01:59 AM   #9
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
A good call, but would that explain the little 'plop' sound?
That would only explain it under very special circumstances, like the resistance of the bulb would become high at a peak and after cooling down and dropping the impedance therefore again, discharging a capacitor. That's not very likely but it might be an additional interaction with the amplifier. Still not likely but I can't imagine another reason for that right now unless the amps protection or power supply triggered for a brief moment - wich is a lot more likely. I don't claim that to be the definite reason, that's just trying to find a possible explaination.

Monacor SPH-300KE, loud music, light behind the membraneHide this!Advertise here!