4 High end woofers reviewed - still searching..

Yes, the top port is for the midbass / midrange. I'm not sure if sealed is a benefit, but yes it's an option. There have been plenty of great designs that use both.

If I don't use it, I can always make an anodized aluminum medallion with my logo and fill it in. I've also used aperiodic vents with midranges in the past and it's pretty easy to implement that here if I wanted but I probably won't considering the large volume in there.

The volume is larger than is needed, and it's easy to fill space, but next to impossible to make more. I've never used the 18m before and I want to keep my options open. I have a pair of 18w's in a box if I decide to go that route instead.

They look fantastic.

I suppose one adds a port to control excursion. But if you are crossing the 18m ~ 250Hz in an already overly large enclosure - the port is probably not doing anything - other than adding to midrange leakage.

Stuffing the port may increase cutoff (i.e. enclosure Qtc = 0.5 eating into the passband) so it may cause a lower midrange / upper bass dip with it stuffed.

The other reason I did it the way I did, was that I would like to eventually implement an active woofer section. For that I would drop the lower xover freq dramatically which will necessitate the need for a port. The aluminum plate on the back would then accommodate the amplifier and xover board

While I said the top enclosure was larger than needed, I should point out that the break doesn't follow the facet line on the side. It's smaller than that, but large enough to run the 18w as a 2 way monitor with the tweeter.