Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Review of 5 Mid Priced 8" Woofers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2019, 02:07 AM   #11
twinter is offline twinter  United States
diyAudio Member

At the HiFiCompass website, the SB Acoustics SB23NACS45-8 measured very well for harmonic distortion in the bass 20 - 250 Hz range. See the 'HD Frequency Response (20mm Distance)' at the link below. Unfortunately, the other woofers mentioned are not tested on the site.

SB Acoustics SB23NACS45-8 | HiFiCompass
Old 22nd July 2019, 03:23 AM   #12
conchobar is offline conchobar  United States
diyAudio Member

While I am in agreement that levels must be matched, trying to correct and/or match response curves is counter-intuitive since the frequency response of each driver, over a specific band, is part of what you are audibly comparing.
Old 22nd July 2019, 03:52 AM   #13
cowanaudio is offline cowanaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobar View Post
While I am in agreement that levels must be matched, trying to correct and/or match response curves is counter-intuitive since the frequency response of each driver, over a specific band, is part of what you are audibly comparing.
Surely the same target response is desired irrespective of which driver is selected? The design will equalise any differences in raw response between the drivers. I would not be comparing the raw frequency response of the drivers, I would only want to know if the response can be easily manipulated to hit my target.
Old 22nd July 2019, 04:29 AM   #14
googlyone is offline googlyone  Australia
diyAudio Member

Agree...

But in reality that requires you to
-1- measure the drivers actual performance, and
-2- build the crossover.

I am of the opinion that you just have to do that to make a meaningful statement about how applicable a driver will be in a system.

Issues such as breakup and out of band response are critical in applying a driver in a system. How these are managed in the crossover makes or breaks the system.

That said, the OP enjoyed the process and shared subjective results with the caveat that they were TRULY subjective! I'd prefer in a hobbyist that than a pure paper exercise!
Old 22nd July 2019, 04:25 PM   #15
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp006ltk View Post
I think you guys are misunderstanding in thinking that I was looking for advice.

I think you misunderstand the intended audience for the comments. Your samplings may have gotten you someplace you like, but they are not transferable to any other listener or any other circumstance.

Review of 5 Mid Priced 8" WoofersHide this!Advertise here!