multiple cheap 15" vs one expensive 15"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well guys, title says it all?

Can a couple of cheaper 15" units by virtue of massive increase in sd be a good alternative to an expensive 15"? Increased cab size for dual units is not an issue, units will be used at reasonable home volumes.

This goes for 12" or even 10" too?

Skytec D1500A 15-Inch 4 ohms Replacement Woofer - DJ City

This unit is $49?! how about a pair per side in 100ltrs enclosures?

I don't see any TS parameters in that link, so you're a bit in the dark as to what kind of response you'd get, and what kind of box may suit.
However, cheap drivers often have weak motors with high Qes, which means in a vented box you need huge Vb to avoid having a hump in the bass response.
You also don't know Xmax, so you don't know how much EQ you can get away with to flatten the response if you go for a more modest/practical box size.
Plus, at 4 Ohms nominal each, you'd have to driver them separately (more $ for amp channels) or in series, which some say affects the amp's ability to maintain a good damping factor - I can't say for sure how big an issue that is in reality however.

So, overall, buy one if you feel like a measurement project to determine the TS parameters and see what you can get away with, but don't expect anything decent at that kind of price.

David you sound like the voice of reason; which I was trying to avoid :D

As per another recent thread I started I'm just trying to find the best bang for the buck but with Australia tax some items become obscenely expensive. I could literally have 10 of those cheap 15" or one high end Faital pro...surely 4x15" per side could equal a high end unit?

In my experience, not at all often. Poorly designed motors and suspension systems increase 2nd, 3rd and higher orders of harmonic distortion. Linearity of inductance and suspension are other factors to consider.

While there are two motors to spread out the power compared to one, a well designed driver sheds heat quickly.

One member from Australia mentioned that he could purchase B&C drivers at a good price from Krix. Their main office is located in a suburb of Adelaide.

Experience Sound | Krix

Contact Us | Krix

An additional thing to consider is support, while you may get average to good results from a plurality of inexpensive drivers like the $49.00 Skytec unit, what is the unit to unit consistency? Will they be available in the future with the same T/S parameters, should one or more of the units you purchase fail?

Consistency of steel machining, CNC coil winding, cone body thickness and weight, adhesive quality, and consistent volumes of dispensed adhesives are just some of the items that large companies like BMS, B&C, Faital Pro, 18 Sound and others strive to maintain unit to unit consistency.

Should you somehow damage a diaphragm or coil from one of the above vendors, recone kits are typically available to restore a unit's functionality.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
They are not subwoofer drivers so the bass is limited, a mid-range really. Listened to but never purchased.
It isn't so much the Australia Tax that hurts but the current exchange rate plus the freight cost.
Personally I see benefits in using multiple bass units and hope to start building new party boxes soon but no benefit is using any more than one large midrange for normal uses.

Joined 2011
"Matt S.Verified Buyer 2 star rating 08/14/18 You get what you pay for

This speaker works. It was the cheapest 15" speaker i could find and i got what i paid for. Distorts at even the lowest volume setting. Maybe this is a hidden feature. Ive used it for about 2 minutes so maybe it will get better. If it doesnt get better then its been a 50$ lesson into saving up for better gear."

Thanks for all chiming in guys. I've started a few threads over the last week trying use the hive mind here to help me sort my ideas wheat from the chaff style.
I've primarily played with smaller speakers but recently hearing some cheap big woofered oldies caught my attention and now I think I'm destined for monkey coffin city.

Diyuser2010, that's interesting about the B&C drivers, might be a future avenue to investigate? Can you direct me to the thread?

I have bought some cheap 8" Fenton drivers from these guys in the past but not used them yet, they look to be much better quality than you'd expect for the price and there is some decent feedback for them. I might just build something for them first and see how I travel? There is a 10" version available.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.