Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

multiple cheap 15" vs one expensive 15"
multiple cheap 15" vs one expensive 15"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2019, 04:37 AM   #71
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Don't know about this laser beam thing. The speed of sound doesn't increase. The wavefront doesn't become pointy and dangerous.

A good and properly set up waveguide doesn't sound different per se to any other worthy source.

Edit, maybe you're thinking about cheap disco speakers. Here the response is the problem, not the directionality.
Old 27th July 2019, 04:39 AM   #72
ewollowe is offline ewollowe  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Sonic View Post
Controlled directivity horns give the very opposite of “laser beaming”, they have a very wide sweet spot.

Matt.
Poor choice of words on my part. I meant they give a warts and all presentation? I might be more interested in something I can live with on a day to day basis? Big, dynamic, comfortable sound? I've looked at a few omni types in this regard.
Old 27th July 2019, 04:50 AM   #73
Sub Sonic is offline Sub Sonic  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewollowe View Post
Poor choice of words on my part. I meant they give a warts and all presentation? I might be more interested in something I can live with on a day to day basis? Big, dynamic, comfortable sound? I've looked at a few omni types in this regard.
My 15PR400/SEOS 15 is definitely the most listenable speaker I have ever had, in around 25 years in the hobby. The sound is incredibly smooth and listening is relaxed. Off axis listening is also good, in fact, most of my listening is done off axis :-)
Old 27th July 2019, 04:58 AM   #74
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I meant they give a warts and all presentation?
Nope, that's when people don't cross them right.

For me, it's the most natural reproduction.
Old 27th July 2019, 07:59 AM   #75
diyAudio Member

Alright, fine, you guys win.
Old 27th July 2019, 01:18 PM   #76
mrk7 is offline mrk7  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...pulled the trigger on the Faital woofers
Congrats!

Quote:
I'm a bit torn about the CDs in general as I've messed about a bit with bipole/dipole designs and enjoyed them. That laser beam focus I've been hearing about...
I love dipoles and I get your reservations.

I'm a proponent of CD designs but even with a 90x60 deg QSC waveguide (which is considered fairly wide and constant directivity), the acquisition of extra clarity at the cost of reduced ambience is DEFINITELY noticeable. Some members have added ambient channels to their systems to create/restore more ambience whilst retaining the clarity/staging qualities of CD designs.

Quote:
I'm thinking a quick Manzanita design before maybe putting them in a large sealed box.
Sounds like a great idea!
Old 27th July 2019, 01:23 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

That sounds a bit like a late ceiling splash design to me?
Something I'm very interested in....mind you I'm interested in most things here.
Old 27th July 2019, 01:30 PM   #78
oohms is offline oohms  Australia
diyAudio Member

Dipoles scatter a lot more sound around the room whereas horns do the exact opposite and limit them to a certain dispersion pattern that is narrower than a simple driver on a baffle

tractrix and exponential horns are very 'laser like' in that they focus the treble too much for my taste, but a large constant directivity horn of 90 x 45 (think a K402) is by far my preferred sound distribution pattern. Almost like wearing headphones but you can walk around the room and it remains mostly the same
Old 27th July 2019, 01:49 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

Oomhs that's pretty much what I was trying to describe earlier? That headphone vibe.
I'm going to play with a few other options before CD I think? I don't have money to burn either but good lord I have a soft spot for the look of those big old school looking horns.
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:52 AM   #80
diyAudio Member

Well, busy week, everything speaker related on the backburner but I've remeasured my old enclosures and it looks like the faitals actually might squeeze in there? We're talking 5mm clearance though, it'll be tight.
I really want to begin cutting this weekend but I know well enough to wait until I have the drivers in my hot sweaty hands before starting, just in case they're a few mm out.

Whilst the temptation of that dynamic bass OB owners gush about is very tempting and I also adore the look of the manzanita and anything Wharfedale sfb like, the reality for me is that I probably don't have enough room to really let the monsters breath? I have, in the past, put a pair of wide range 8" per side on very large, asymmetric baffles to interesting effect (coloured/dynamic) but they lived in the middle of the room, not very practical.
I have a very large supply of this foam, I could potentially treat the rear of the speaker with? I think it would be pretty much low pass stuff? Anyone any links on semi open baffle speakers? Super leaky designs?

I've also ordered a minidspHD and calibrated mic. I already own the standard minidsp and a cheap little dayton mic so I've got the feel for it and think the extra connectivity of the HD plus the accuracy of the calibrated mic are hopefully worth the investment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-04-14 19.46.54_resized.jpg (334.9 KB, 55 views)

multiple cheap 15" vs one expensive 15"Hide this!Advertise here!