Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

multiple cheap 15" vs one expensive 15"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2019, 07:15 AM   #41
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Many good ones will, and they also reach comfortably above 10k.
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:19 AM   #42
ewollowe is offline ewollowe  Australia
diyAudio Member

Lots of responses!

Sub Sonic I recently got a minidsp and am very fond of it but I will need to order the usb mic to really make the most of it? Very slowly getting the hang of it and REW.

AllenB I've currently got a couple of 10" daichi woofers bodged into a big old Technics enclosure, port is stuffed with foam. I think they're good up to about 3khz? I think it's this one? They're a bit beaten up (second hand) but have responded to equalization well.

HFR250-150-8 10" Hf/R Woofer Hi-Power - Daichi, Speaker Drivers | Wagner Online Electronic Stores

I'm playing around with a cheap Daichi 8" wide range on top and have some small tang band to stick on there at some stage too.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 15" fatals and maybe a decent wide ranger up top until I finally decide on what waveguide/cd to get.
Old 22nd July 2019, 12:02 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Sure, we gotta have music, it helps the thinking process
Old 22nd July 2019, 12:12 PM   #44
Sub Sonic is offline Sub Sonic  Australia
diyAudio Member

Ewollowe,

Would love to hear about your journey with these projects, keep on posting!

Matt.
Old 22nd July 2019, 01:13 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

I was actually without speakers for quite some time due to a really bad case of analysis paralysis so the hideous monstrosities currently inhabiting the lounge are fun to have.

I'm going to try push ahead and order these soon, next step will be the hardest, cutting a large circle.
Old 22nd July 2019, 03:26 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

15" you say? Well, this sets you on the 90 degrees dispersion for a crossover around 700-1200Hz approximately, depending on which features you rely on to get it right, assuming the plain waveguide woofer option.

It should not be necessary or possible to use it any higher than this.

Looking at the aforementioned Faital 15PR400 it has a paper cone and pleated surround, which are not a bad thing when you try to cross this high. It also has a high sensitivity, and has been heard by SS, which is good to know.

I'm quite sure these will jump you out of your analysis paralysis.
Old 22nd July 2019, 08:24 PM   #47
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

These are 12's and the fifth one is a coax but if you want party and not critical listening then you already have someone who's done what you want. The woofers are BR, and the coax is rear vented. System is tri-amped with about a 200Hz high pass on the coax, and 2500 on the CD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1499.jpg (85.1 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1512.jpg (169.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1517.JPG (882.8 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1520.jpg (94.4 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1549.jpg (107.7 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by Cal Weldon; 22nd July 2019 at 08:27 PM. Reason: fixed
Old 23rd July 2019, 03:42 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

Ewollowe, are you going to mount the drivers behind the baffle or in front? Do you have a circle cutter and router?
Old 23rd July 2019, 03:51 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Cal that looks like a lot of fun/trouble. I'm sure my elderly neighbours would love it. Fortunately for them I'm not a big fan of sharing my musical/movie tastes with everyone within a square mile.

Sub, unfortunately I'm pretty light on the power tools so no router but I may splurge? I had planned on mounting the driver on the front of a thinnish baffle then reinforcing around it. I'm toying with the idea of a simple OB just to get the ball rolling.
Old 23rd July 2019, 04:56 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

All good then, if mounting the driver in front of the baffle, the cut will be hidden :-)

multiple cheap 15" vs one expensive 15"Hide this!Advertise here!