Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

The Ultimate Small Speaker, the Reference Mini Post Mortem Thread
The Ultimate Small Speaker, the Reference Mini Post Mortem Thread
The Ultimate Small Speaker, the Reference Mini Post Mortem Thread Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2019, 11:00 PM   #21
bcodemz is offline bcodemz  Canada
diyAudio Member

The Reference Mini's at the burning amp this year, with a more bass boosted profile. Many people have inquired about the speaker and wanted to read more about it, so I'm bringing this thread alive.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th November 2019, 01:35 AM   #22
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

I'm doing a speaker that's sort of similar, and used your project as part of the references in the design. Mine doesn't need to be portable, so may end up being larger though.

Would you still use the Scan mid, or something else in the newer build you mention?

Last edited by Brett; 12th November 2019 at 01:38 AM.
Old 12th November 2019, 02:10 AM   #23
kec is offline kec  United States
diyAudio Member

bcodemz, your pictures are missing from your first post.
Old 18th November 2019, 03:11 AM   #24
pliedtka is offline pliedtka  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Brian, can you post freq measurements. I recall they were very flat. And did you change things since the time you measured them at M. Kravczenko place, that was some 2 years ago.
I think Toid is all over your spkrs.
Would you change things if you were to make them again, say drivers placement on the baffle, or different drivers.
BTW, those underhunged alu 7" from Mark - very nice but to make 2way they need at least 1-1.5kHz x-o, or 3way your style, so we are kind on hold. I would like try them with Mark's big ribbon.
Old 18th November 2019, 06:42 AM   #25
bcodemz is offline bcodemz  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kec View Post
bcodemz, your pictures are missing from your first post.
I just updated them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pliedtka View Post
Hi Brian, can you post freq measurements. I recall they were very flat. And did you change things since the time you measured them at M. Kravczenko place, that was some 2 years ago.
I think Toid is all over your spkrs.
Would you change things if you were to make them again, say drivers placement on the baffle, or different drivers.
BTW, those underhunged alu 7" from Mark - very nice but to make 2way they need at least 1-1.5kHz x-o, or 3way your style, so we are kind on hold. I would like try them with Mark's big ribbon.
Here's an old measurement in 20 degree intervals. Click on the picture for a much bigger graph. Outdoor ground plane measurements <900Hz. Quasi anechoic with 10ms gating above that. No smoothing is used (or needed) on the measurements.

Click the image to open in full size.

A lot has changed over the 2 years I probably can't even count. Each of them make the speaker a little better, but the cumulative change makes a big difference.

I would change them completely if I were to do them again, almost every aspect of the design. I have a much better understanding of speaker design now, and there are so many little (and big) things that can be improved to the speaker.

Last edited by bcodemz; 18th November 2019 at 06:46 AM.
Old 19th November 2019, 03:44 PM   #26
dublin78 is offline dublin78  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would change them completely if I were to do them again, almost every aspect of the design. I have a much better understanding of speaker design now, and there are so many little (and big) things that can be improved to the speaker.
Would you care to share your ideas for changes?

I have enjoyed this thread, and the original.

I have been thinking of using your design for a fully portable (battery powered) mono Bluetooth system.

Mine would be simpler than your "ultimate" version. Bluetooth > MiniDSP > three or four channels of mono amplification > your same drivers (except non-beryllium version of tweeter)
Old 22nd November 2019, 04:13 AM   #27
pliedtka is offline pliedtka  Canada
diyAudio Member

Wow, that is stinking flat. For some reason I also prefer a little boost in 1-3k area, maybe because I use LR4 at 2k and it compensates for power response dip a little. Anyway, makes the vocal much nicer and easier to follow lyrics. I guess a lot depends on the drivers and x-o used. Devialet - that thing with two plastic subs on the sides and coax mid-tweeter - I wasn't really impressed by it, considering the amount of money they put into it for R&D, kind of like the Ottawa's LRT.

Last edited by pliedtka; 22nd November 2019 at 04:29 AM.

The Ultimate Small Speaker, the Reference Mini Post Mortem ThreadHide this!Advertise here!