Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Newbie wants to build a speaker
Newbie wants to build a speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2019, 04:34 PM   #1
Knochen is offline Knochen
diyAudio Member

Smile Newbie wants to build a speaker

Hey there,

I have heard you can save a lot of money and get great quality when you build your own LS. I own a pair of Canton Ergo 620 Speakers which are a nice start, but I cannot wait to upgrade. I thought about investing 2-3k in new speakers, but then I heard about DIY. I like woodworking, but am far from being a pro. Basically I am looking for a nice and easy to build speaker, that is approved and well-tested by other DIY users. I am looking for bookshelf speakers I can use at my desk. My basic criteria:

- Easy shape, maybe just a simple box, no curves or anything fancy
- 3 Drivers. I own an active sub, so base is less of a problem but rather a nice mid and high
- Ribbon Tweeter? Is this the best option nowadays?
- Well tested and approved by the community
- Crossovers pre-built available? I have no idea about electronics...
- Price? IDK, The tech can cost up to 1.5k€ per speaker, but then they should sound like 5k ones, right?
- I am from Mid Europe so I hope I can avoid any US shops with long delivery times...

I found this speaker here which looks kind of like that I imagine, but I am open to any suggestions, so thanks a lot.
Old 11th July 2019, 05:52 PM   #2
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Welcome to the forum!

Troels Gravesen is a respected designer so I would expect a quality performance from the speakers to which you refer.

All the cabinet and crossover construction details are included in the link so you will be able to gauge for yourself whether or not you are up for the job.

One thing though - aren't these speakers rather large for use at your desk?
Old 11th July 2019, 06:08 PM   #3
denibeni is offline denibeni
diyAudio Member

The SB 3-way Classic what you linked is a medium sized loudspeaker intented for standmount use.
For desk use, the Bookshelf-3WC is a better choice because of its tuning and the arrangement of the drivers imo..

Bookshelf-3WC
Old 11th July 2019, 07:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi and thanks for the replies. Well, yeah, it is big. Since my desk is in the middle of the room, I have plenty of space behind it so its not really standing "on" the desk. Do you think this would be a big problem for the larger boxes? I checked some other commercial speakers that I found interesting and they are also in this range, like a Nubert or a Harbeth. I would like to go with this size if it is feasible to have enough "power"...
Old 11th July 2019, 10:27 PM   #5
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Knochen... welcome....

You have the right philosophy..... study the recommendations and research... make an informed decision on a design which you can build. The woodshop capability often sets the design direction.

You have the right hardware budget of 1,500E per speaker.

BUT...since your room shape is unique, and your hearing is unique, and since you want exceptional performance, and since you have space behind your desk, BUILDING a deep cabinet which leverages the Kii-Three engineering with side-side woofers is worth the extra education and construction challenges. (No rear cardiod woofers.)

"We live in the midrange." For close-up desktop listening many favor putting the human vocal range(~80-1700) on one exceptional 6" midrange like:
1) Satori MW16P-4 with the natural sound from a Papyrus paper cone
2) -OR - SB_Acoustics SB17NAC35-4 with the detailed sound from a ribbed aluminum cone
3) Satori TW29RDC-4 dimpled 1.1" dome tweeter ideal for crossovers around 1700Hz.
----a T-M crossover ~1700Hz has an 8" wavelength which helps produce a "point-source" image

The SB Acoustics 8" SB23NACS45-8 woofer uses a new ribbed aluminum cone for both extra stiffness and significantly reduced cone breakup. Reviews are all positive.

Crossover Options:
3w-passive TM-WW
2w-passive TM + bi-amp WW (proven passive TM Xover is available)
2w-passive TM + DSP WW
3w-DSP T-M-WW

If you can build a wooden Kii-Three shaped cabinet, there is enough knowledge on diyAudio to help you achieve success..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kii Three tech.jpg (133.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Midrange is key.jpg (165.6 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Crossover Selection.jpg (231.6 KB, 78 views)
Old 11th July 2019, 10:38 PM   #6
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

It appears you have no problem with box size as long as the enclosures don't overwhelm the room. However, a smaller enclosure is more in keeping with your intention to use an active sub. Large enclosures generally produce sufficient bass on their own, so the extra size is a bit of a waste if you intend to use an active sub.
Old 12th July 2019, 07:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

@Galu: True, thats a valid point indeed.

@LineSource: Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I researched this a bit and I guess the problem is that this does not only require the speakers, but a quite complex system around, like a active crossover with several amplifiers to adjust each channel separately? If this is the case, I believe this is some high end stuff that is way above my level

Newbie wants to build a speakerHide this!Advertise here!