3 way to 2 way up/down-grade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone ! I have first started a project with a 3 way system but because of power use + weight, I am now considering "transforming" it to a 2 way system.

Here are the drivers I use :
Bass : RCF LF15N401 - 15" Woofer
Midrange : RCF MB12N351 - 12" Mid Bass
Tops : RCF ND840 - 1.4" Compression Driver

Actual frequencies crossovers :
Bass : 35 - 150Hz
Mids : 100Hz - 1Khz
Tops : 1Khz - 1.5Khz

So on, my logic would be to get rid of the Midbass drivers and ask more from the subs and tops.

1 - Is it a good idea to build a 2 way system with these drivers ?
2 - If yes :
2A - what would I loose (frequency range / max spl) ?
2B - where should I set the crossover "cutting point"? I was thinking around 600Hz
3 - For the Sub, which kind of enclosure you would recommend ? I was thinking going for a Tapped-horn (THAM15) but Im afraid that this type of design will limit the frequency range over 200Hz. If not, I was simply thinking about a bass-reflex type.

Thanks in advance for you help again dear community !

Hi Everyone ! I have first started a project with a 3 way system but because of power use + weight, I am now considering "transforming" it to a 2 way system.

Here are the drivers I use :
Bass : RCF LF15N401 - 15" Woofer
Midrange : RCF MB12N351 - 12" Mid Bass
Tops : RCF ND840 - 1.4" Compression Driver

Actual frequencies crossovers :
Bass : 35 - 150Hz
Mids : 100Hz - 1Khz
Tops : 1Khz - 1.5Khz

So on, my logic would be to get rid of the Midbass drivers and ask more from the subs and tops.

1 - Is it a good idea to build a 2 way system with these drivers ?
2 - If yes :
2A - what would I loose (frequency range / max spl) ?
2B - where should I set the crossover "cutting point"? I was thinking around 600Hz
3 - For the Sub, which kind of enclosure you would recommend ? I was thinking going for a Tapped-horn (THAM15) but Im afraid that this type of design will limit the frequency range over 200Hz. If not, I was simply thinking about a bass-reflex type.

Thanks in advance for you help again dear community !

OK...No.... The 12 inch midbase has usable frequencies down to 45 hz. So unless you have some type of Horn implementation that can take you cleanly down to 300 hz crossover frequency I would stick with the 12 inch midbase.

The 12" will only run down to 45Hz if loaded into the appropriate cabinet.

Suparub, a 15" 2-way is possible with these components. You'll need a fairly large horn for the HF unit, and I'd look at an 800Hz crossover. I would try to use digital processing for this one - high-power passive crossovers are difficult to do.

Cheers,
Chris

Everyone knows you need a chainsaw to to cut the car in half to make a motorcycle. :>)
ahahaha XD

gzubeck3 : Alright thanks sir ! So If I want to stick with 15" drivers (which is the strict minimum for me), I would need to switch to midbass types right ? Or, like you and Chriss wrote, find a way to build/get large enough horns in order to make them function from 300hz (is it even possible?) or 800hz ( which seems already very high to the sub to reach)

Some updates ^^ I have been fortunate yesterday to hear in action the RCF EVOX 8 ( Product Detail - RCF ) in action and it sounds damn good !

From their specifications they use a 12" woofer in a bass-reflex and 8 x full-range 2" drivers, with a crossover cutting at 220Hz. So my question is : anybody has an idea how could I DIY build this same full-range part or at least the type of drivers I would need ? I haven't find these "8 x 2" Ultra compact fullrange, 1.0 v.c." drivers on their website.

RCF EVoX 8.JPG

Hi again, so I decided finally to go with vented enclosure and a 2 way system with this design : http://www.lean-business.co.uk/SPEAKER_PLANS/CIARE 15.00 SW DUAL REFLEX.pdf

Regarding the drivers, I hesitate between these two as the main goal is to get the most linear response from 40Hz to 800Hz :
RCF LF15N401 - 15" Woofer
RCF MB15N401 - 15" Mid Bass

Problem is Im getting 2 different sims when I design the enclosure on BassBoxPro and WinISD. I wanna send 800W and don't know if I should listen to BassBox (and go with the MB15N401) or WinISD (and go with LF15N401 as the difference between the 2 drivers is not significant) :confused:

SoundSystem.JPG

winisd.JPG

I think your really bent on 15 inch woofers. I think you really need to investigate what type of high frequency unit your going to attach to this boom box. If you go with 12 inch woofers you can cross at 1100 hz versus 900 where beaming starts. I'm just not too familiar with setting up compression drivers with horns. I also see that those rcf drivers are very sensitive therefore you need a very sensitive compression driver maybe 1.4 inch to 2 inches to get low enough? Also how do you plan to build a box that can handle all that vibration?

Yes gzubeck3, I have already choosen the compression driver (1.4) : RCF ND840 - 1.4" Compression Driver that I plan to cross at 800Hz as adviced (lower will not be so smart/efficient).

I need now to focus on the choice of the right 15" in order to cover as best as possible the 40hz - 800hz range.

I plan to build a box that can handle all vibration with plywood 18mm, should I brace it more ?

Yes gzubeck3, I have already choosen the compression driver (1.4) : RCF ND840 - 1.4" Compression Driver that I plan to cross at 800Hz as adviced (lower will not be so smart/efficient).

I need now to focus on the choice of the right 15" in order to cover as best as possible the 40hz - 800hz range.

I plan to build a box that can handle all vibration with plywood 18mm, should I brace it more ?

Whoever is selling you those rcf's should have a better idea about which one is better for your two way. One seems to me to be strictly a woofer for crossover at say 300hz vs. the midbase which might have a smoother transition throughout the midrange before breakup. just a thought.

Thanks for the input gzubeck3. Well, I have done the research and choice myself so I need to compare them myself :)

Here is the post with the sims on hornresp but since it's a first time I'm using the app I am not sure if this is right : https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/sub...ed-horn-questions-starting-7.html#post5862628

i'm going to defer from any further comment as I have limited experience with compression drivers and mating them in a two way here. Maybe somebody who can understand horns and how to integrate them can help you better. Seems to be a few of them floating around here. :>)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.