Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Anyone used the sb20pfc 8" woofer?
Anyone used the sb20pfc 8" woofer?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2019, 02:17 PM   #11
morbo is online now morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi folks; I have bassbox pro and DATS, and do know how to calculate various alignments from measured parameters. I do appreciate people taking the time to sim them though In this case I would probably use an EBS or similar alignment, though I will be using a hypex fa123 plate amp with DSP for amp/crossover duties, so will also have the option of 6th order vented or other EQed alignments. By all means feel free to continue your discussion of theoretical vs non-standard alignments; but what I was looking for were first hand experiences with these drivers and perhaps even some comparisons to other more well known woofers.
Old 12th July 2019, 12:42 AM   #12
Smirkr is offline Smirkr  United States
diyAudio Member

I am currently using these as mids in a 3-way OB design. I cannot attest to their bass prowess but they are outstanding from 200-5k. IMHO they are a hidden gem in sound quality performance vs. price. The frame shape is unfortunate but I cannot find another driver that does what these do in this price range. I am definitely a fan.
Old 12th July 2019, 03:23 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkr View Post
I am currently using these as mids in a 3-way OB design. I cannot attest to their bass prowess but they are outstanding from 200-5k. IMHO they are a hidden gem in sound quality performance vs. price. The frame shape is unfortunate but I cannot find another driver that does what these do in this price range. I am definitely a fan.
Thank you for this! Great to hear your experience, I think you are the first person I've read of who has actually used this particular driver. My own plan is to use 2 or 3 of them as woofers in a largish vented box, but I've a few other options (2x Peerless SLS or HDS) that are appealing as well. The efficiency and suitability for a ported box attract me towards the SB, whereas the distortion and more advanced motors of the peerless drivers pull me the other way.

I'm happily surprised to hear you're happy with their midrange performance, the distortion results from hificompass (SB Acoustics SB20PFC30-4 | HiFiCompass) made me a bit hesitant to run them above 300hz or so. Of course distortion plots are not everything, but when they are all one has to go by, they can make one think twice!
Old 12th July 2019, 06:12 AM   #14
oon_the_kid is offline oon_the_kid  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

I've tried the 6.5" version as a subwoofer by tuning the box really low (circa 30 or 35Hz) I think. This is much lower than the standard alignment. Then use DSP to boost the bass at the port frequency to level up the bass response. The sound is quite good.

Oon

Last edited by oon_the_kid; 12th July 2019 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12th July 2019, 06:15 AM   #15
wushuliu is offline wushuliu  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkr View Post
Agreed. I used them as a 2-way crossed over to SB tweeters at ~1.4k. I really enjoyed them. Distortion was good, not great, as one would expect. 2nd Harmonic about -45, 3rd a little lower than that. Smooth, no aberrations. I had them in about 1ft3 box, so not bass monsters but good enough for my needs. Mids were excellent. Should be way more popular than they are. I think the square frame makes them look 'cheap', but the SB quality is there...
Old 14th July 2019, 09:21 PM   #16
Smirkr is offline Smirkr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbo View Post
Thank you for this! Great to hear your experience, I think you are the first person I've read of who has actually used this particular driver. My own plan is to use 2 or 3 of them as woofers in a largish vented box, but I've a few other options (2x Peerless SLS or HDS) that are appealing as well. The efficiency and suitability for a ported box attract me towards the SB, whereas the distortion and more advanced motors of the peerless drivers pull me the other way.

I'm happily surprised to hear you're happy with their midrange performance, the distortion results from hificompass (SB Acoustics SB20PFC30-4 | HiFiCompass) made me a bit hesitant to run them above 300hz or so. Of course distortion plots are not everything, but when they are all one has to go by, they can make one think twice!
I can whole heartedly agree with the Peerless SLS line for woofer duties as well. I'm running SLS 12's and have run SLS 10's also. They just do what they are supposed to.

As far as distortion in the SB20's is concerned, I will politely dissuade you from that concern. I am continuously amazed and gratified by what I hear. For the money they are a steal. I've tried smaller full range drivers during the development of what I have now but I always circled back around to the SB20's. They keep up with the dual 12's and sound amazing; detailed, clean and will play loud with authority.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OB's.jpg (532.3 KB, 64 views)
Old 15th July 2019, 12:28 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

excellent feedback, thank you everyone!

Leaning towards the SLS as I'm only needing them to cover the <300hz range, and because 3 of the SB drivers a side would dip too low in impedance for my amps. But, I plan to build the boxes with a removable face, so if the fancy strikes, will be able to test all 3 options (SLS/HDS/SB) if I'm not happy with the result.
Old 15th July 2019, 06:34 AM   #18
celef is offline celef
diyAudio Member

that sb20 driver sure looks promising, i would like to try it in a mtm config
Old 15th July 2019, 07:15 AM   #19
swann is offline swann  Germany
diyAudio Member

Z 1 kHz 6Ohm / 8,3
Z 10 kHz 20,2 Ohm / 27,2
Fs 32 hz / 34,1hz
Re 3,64Ohm
Rms 1,74 / 1,94
Qms 2,67 / 2,71

Qes 0,39 / 0,49

Qts 0,34 / 0,42

Cms 1,1 / 0,88
Mms 23,1 g / 24,5g
BL 6,62 / 7,77
VAS 77 L / 63,5 L
Le 0,4 / 0,53
SD 227 qcm
Xmax 5,6 mm

But i would highly suggest to use this driver only as a sub, due its resonating nature in the mids.
A quick simulation at 40; 50 and 60 liters with an vent of 70 mm at a length of 30 cm.

Swann
Attached Images
File Type: png Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-15 um 09.13.13.png (38.7 KB, 42 views)

Anyone used the sb20pfc 8&quot; woofer?Hide this!Advertise here!