Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please help a  professional woodworker build DIY speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2019, 02:09 AM   #31
gabdx is online now gabdx  Canada
diyAudio Member

you are certainly a handyman, a builder, and a generous man.

You are tempted to build a loudspeaker, for fun of the woodwork, however, the speaker is the most difficult thing to do well... if amplifiers were not subjective enough, loudspeakers are even more...

The best thing that happened to me is that I listened to a lot of speakers, from all prices, without any discrimination, then I set my mind of buying the speaker which sounded the best to me...

Then I had a benchmark at home, to evaluate, to measure frequency, noise (yes, noise, is a value measured as well as THD 2n, 3rd, etc...) noise is super important, even more than THD. And I could figure out which frequency response sounded good, what was the key for a good smooth sound.

It is not capacitors, XO type, hifi parts, wires, super crazy amps, nothing like the sort, it is a precise extremely complex mix of parameters which are otherwise impossible to see.

So unless you can have in your hands the sound that you want, you wont be able to replicate anything close to what you like, there will be something off all the time.

ps this is why i never bought any kits, I bought speakers, then I built my own kits. There is nothing wrong going with kits, just very scary to spend 500$on something you don't know if you will like... ps2 I am a huge sinner there.

Last edited by gabdx; 11th July 2019 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11th July 2019, 02:47 AM   #32
vinylkid58 is offline vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney9081 View Post
My budget (as stated in the first post)… Is around $500. I have all the lumber, high-grade plywood‘s, and expendable materials available in my workshop. So things like veneer, glues, finishes, and even electronic components don’t have to be in that budget. I must have every capacitor known to man! Well that is an exaggeration… But I do have many cabinets full of high-grade components. It’s becoming apparent that I will be building more than one set of speakers. I think I’ll order a few of the inexpensive kits from parts express or meniscus. Maybe even those with pre-made cabinets.
I can assemble several kits in an afternoon or two. Just to get my feet wet and hear them. I might leave them stock or apply a simple veneer. And as we narrow down the design in this thread… And I get a little practice with the inexpensive kits… I can build the nicer set that I plan on keeping.
The cheaper speaker kits would be interesting to hear, and compare with the “keeper set“.
And they would make great gifts for close friends and family at Christmas time.
I don't know why you would bother with the kits, when it's obvious you have the skill to build from scratch. Why not try something in the 4-5" single driver category as a first build? With a single driver, there's no crossover to deal with, just build the enclosure, and wire the driver to a terminal. Maybe one of Dave's bookshelf sized MarKen boxes with the Alpair A7.3, or Pluvia 7.

jeff
Old 11th July 2019, 03:08 AM   #33
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

The OP likes a particular heavy metal band, there really isn't a single driver speaker that can give the bass and impact needed for heavy metal and not sound muddy at the SPL usually used to listen to such bands. Personal opinion only mind. Kits are useful for people with no experience choosing drivers and designing crossovers but I think the OP is a bit further advanced than that
Old 11th July 2019, 06:06 AM   #34
gzubeck3 is offline gzubeck3  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think I’ll order a few of the inexpensive kits from parts express or meniscus. Maybe even those with pre-made cabinets.
I can assemble several kits in an afternoon or two. Just to get my feet wet and hear them.
The biggest problem with kits is that it's hard to mix and match with woofers you may like and tweeters that may be a bit cheaper. just got done reviewing some kits and will list some that fit into your budget. Also, given the budget I'm assuming a simple two way and not an MTM design.

given budget and flexibility here are my picks.

1) Seas Idunn 2-Way Speaker Kit
Seas Idunn 2-Way Speaker Kit - Pair - Parts Only
2) Zaph|Audio SR71 Kit
Zaph|Audio SR71 Kit - Pair - Parts Only
3) Adelphos, Bare Bones Speaker Kit
Adelphos, Bare Bones Speaker Kit (Pair) - Meniscus Audio

I don't know if there's a kit for the sb17 aluminum driver with sb metal dome tweeter so maybe somebody has a link to a pre-made crossover that works with pre-designed baffle and enclosure dimensions. you could always have madisound or meniscus design a crossover for some drivers that may interest you. Hope this helps.
Old 11th July 2019, 06:17 AM   #35
classicalfan is offline classicalfan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for your advice!
Was coming back today to edit my original post and post some new information.

A feel bad that I didn’t say this at The very beginning of my thread!

I have always been more of a fan of the most simplistic designs. I’ve made a longer post about it below. But You are exactly right!

Thanks so much for your reply and your thoughts.
In reading through some of your posts I get the impression that these speakers are intended for a workshop environment and you might not be sitting in one place, but instead moving around as you work. If that is the case it puts a whole new set of demands on the speaker design in terms of dispersion characteristics. The other major factor is the room itself. It determines about one-half of what you hear. And as you move around the sound can change dramatically. Particularly the bass.

And I still highly recommend starting with a kit from one of the well recognized designers. I'm really surprised that some here are recommending otherwise. I don't understand how they think you can achieve a better sound than a proven design without any prior experience. You would be lucky if you even get close on your first try.
Old 11th July 2019, 07:30 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzubeck3 View Post
The biggest problem with kits is that it's hard to mix and match with woofers you may like and tweeters that may be a bit cheaper. just got done reviewing some kits and will list some that fit into your budget. Also, given the budget I'm assuming a simple two way and not an MTM design.

given budget and flexibility here are my picks.

1) Seas Idunn 2-Way Speaker Kit
Seas Idunn 2-Way Speaker Kit - Pair - Parts Only
2) Zaph|Audio SR71 Kit
Zaph|Audio SR71 Kit - Pair - Parts Only
3) Adelphos, Bare Bones Speaker Kit
Adelphos, Bare Bones Speaker Kit (Pair) - Meniscus Audio

I don't know if there's a kit for the sb17 aluminum driver with sb metal dome tweeter so maybe somebody has a link to a pre-made crossover that works with pre-designed baffle and enclosure dimensions. you could always have madisound or meniscus design a crossover for some drivers that may interest you. Hope this helps.
Adelphos (15 liters - 6.5" Satori woofer) is an excellent choice, but a little above his budget at $665 for the pair.

Staying under $500 I would suggest Mandolin (15 liters - 6.7" woofer) or Piccolo (7 liters - 5.9" woofer). As I posted previously, I'm very pleased with the Piccolo. Particularly for a speaker of that size.
Old 11th July 2019, 12:01 PM   #37
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

And none of those will work very well for heavy metal music, the OPs personal choice. All very good speakers but not very good for the preferred genre
Old 11th July 2019, 12:15 PM   #38
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

Volt 10 V2 from diysoundgroup plus a sub, for those moments when the music just cannot be subtle. The coaxial format addresses the movement around the space issue, and adding a sub to a larger 'satellite' is more easily done than working with toy boxes.
Old 11th July 2019, 04:57 PM   #39
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

As per Jeff’s suggestion, there are many really good full-ranges for a budget of <$500, and some very interesting boxes.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 11th July 2019, 06:43 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
And none of those will work very well for heavy metal music, the OPs personal choice. All very good speakers but not very good for the preferred genre
No point in spending money on quality, low distortion drivers used in these suggested speaker kits if the goal is to listen to heavy metal. These are designed for quality sound with finesse and subtle detail, not blasting out intentionally distorted guitars at high SPL levels.

I don’t know of any kit that is specifically designed for heavy metal. Maybe there is one, but I wouldn’t know.

Please help a  professional woodworker build DIY speakersHide this!Advertise here!