Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Crossover Upgrade Suggestions
Crossover Upgrade Suggestions
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2019, 12:36 AM   #1
kawihornet is offline kawihornet  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Crossover Upgrade Suggestions

Thinking of replacing some of the cheaper caps etc
Please give your input and thoughts -
Thanks so much!

Picture of crossover attatched
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3747.jpg (716.5 KB, 286 views)
Old 7th July 2019, 12:44 AM   #2
nipper1 is offline nipper1  United States
diyAudio Member

In my opinion, the Jantzen Superior-Z capacitor is hard to beat. It is very neutral and "clean"; meaning accurate without "coloring" the sound.
Old 7th July 2019, 02:19 AM   #3
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawihornet View Post
Thinking of replacing some of the cheaper caps etc
Please give your input and thoughts -
Thanks so much!
OK. The first question (and it's a serious, i.e. genuine one) to ask is 'what is wrong with your existing crossover capacitors?' Or to put it another way, what are the problems or limitations they are causing / imposing upon your loudspeaker, or overall system? With those identified, you can consider what will be the best of the many possible options. It's difficult to make any recommendation worth reading without knowing what these problems are, and what the rest of the system is.
Old 7th July 2019, 03:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

When the speaker is given really difficult recordings it becomes overwhelmed.
They can be slightly muddy at times as well. I would like to have a very neutral/every so slightly warm sound with lots of detail and the ability to organize difficult recordings as well.
Old 7th July 2019, 03:53 AM   #5
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
When the speaker is given really difficult recordings it becomes overwhelmed.
They can be slightly muddy at times as well. I would like to have a very neutral/every so slightly warm sound with lots of detail and the ability to organize difficult recordings as well.
Fair enough, and I don't doubt either your summary, or your wishes, but my question stands, i.e. what is wrong with the existing capacitors, or, if you would prefer it phrased differently, how do you know they are the cause of the limitations you mention, rather than something else?

You don't mention what speaker it is, but from the PCB it appears to be a Dynaudio Special 40. That's a reasonable / well designed commercial standmount of its type, but if it's like other Dynaudios, it's likely a 1st order acoustical crossover. These are not without merit when implemented well, such as good phase response &c., but 1st order acoustical crossovers by nature also tend to push the tweeter quite hard, so on fairly demanding material, distortion can be higher than with designs using higher order slopes. It also tends to mean running a higher XO frequency, and that can result in a less even polar response, which in turn can affect tonality. So I hate to say it, and I could be completely wrong (not unusual), but I suspect your issue is simply that this particular design does not meet your requirements, and changing a couple of crossover caps isn't likely to change that.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 7th July 2019 at 03:57 AM.
Old 7th July 2019, 04:10 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ya maybe... Ill try the $200 caps first and then move on to the extra 4k investment into a new speaker set lol. I have read a lot of bad reviews on the current Caps in use... so only trial and error will tell...
Old 7th July 2019, 05:32 AM   #7
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ill try the $200 caps first and then move on to the extra 4k investment into a new speaker set lol.
You may be lolling. I wouldn't have much faith in even the 4k investment if you don't understand how not to repeat this issue.
Old 7th July 2019, 06:37 AM   #8
Draki is offline Draki  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have read a lot of bad reviews on the current Caps in use.
Where exactly?
Old 7th July 2019, 07:47 AM   #9
Zuhl is offline Zuhl  England
diyAudio Member

Better caps and resistors (don't forget them) will give a clearer, more controlled sound.

However, where are you going to put them? A Jantzen Superior (mentioned above) 15μF will take up a quarter of that PCB! That's just one component and your speakers are fairly small.

Good quality drivers deserve the best components. The fact the speaker gets good reviews without shows there is potential there.

Linn Karik + Naim NAC72/HiCap/NAP250/NACA5
Old 7th July 2019, 07:50 AM   #10
skyra is offline skyra
diyAudio Member

Dynaudios have their merits, -punchy, dynamic, outstanding bass- but transparency is not their strongest point. I think what you hear is mainly driver related. Bennic PP-s are not top of the world, but they are decent enough not to impose the mentionad limitations on the sound. Also usually there is a good reason usig bipolar electrolitics in certain positions.One thing is really worth to try replacing the ceramic power resistors with 5-10W MOX types.

Crossover Upgrade SuggestionsHide this!Advertise here!