Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Purifi Audio by Bruno Putzeys and friends.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2019, 07:42 PM   #1
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Purifi Audio by Bruno Putzeys and friends.

Just saw mention of this venture in VoiceCoil magazine.

Lots of impressive resumes involved in this collaboration. Main focus is improved transducer design and class D amps from the looks of it.

Transducers - Purifi

Impressive performance for a 6.5" driver.
Old 3rd July 2019, 08:27 PM   #2
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

The next AudioXpress will have a report from me about a presentation Bruno and Lars did for the NL AES section. That will have more technical details about the improvements in both the class D and the driver.

Jan
Old 6th July 2019, 01:50 PM   #3
Keith Taylor is offline Keith Taylor  Australia
diyAudio Member

There are some tests on the amplifier here Articles, Reviews and Measurements of Audio Products (As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Keith
Old 6th July 2019, 02:11 PM   #4
gabdx is offline gabdx  Canada
diyAudio Member

that is way better than the best that are available right now....

very impressive THDs and response, I hope it sounds as good as the graph promise.
Old 7th July 2019, 05:23 AM   #5
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieM View Post
Main focus is improved transducer design
Some of this appears to be overcoming the downside to small area long stroke drivers to make them comparable with the converse. Bandwidth is gained. Efficiency and voice coil diameter are not large.
Old 7th July 2019, 05:28 AM   #6
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Why is long stroke good......large cone displacement causes doppler distortions does it not ?.

Dan.
Old 7th July 2019, 05:53 AM   #7
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm glad to see them taking on speakers now. Electronics have been more than good enough for years at this point.

I like the systematic approach to design that they're doing. Focusing on problems that are the most audible in your typical 2-way bookshelf speaker system. I like my big speakers but I can appreciate the effort to get more out of a small box.

A controlled directivity design like the Kii or Dutch&Dutch using these improvements will make for even more impressive clean spl for a given size. Very attractive for the typical listening room.
Old 7th July 2019, 08:58 AM   #8
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
Why is long stroke good......large cone displacement causes doppler distortions does it not ?.
One would think. It's a type of FM or even IM distortion. There isn't much info about how it's tackled. The Jordan Eikonas are long throw and use "contraflex" cones, little info about that also and only in older papers.
Old 7th July 2019, 12:27 PM   #9
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
Some of this appears to be overcoming the downside to small area long stroke drivers to make them comparable with the converse. Bandwidth is gained. Efficiency and voice coil diameter are not large.
That is the case, yes. Risbo's investigations into making a small, long stroke as clean as a large short stroke lead him to some magnetic issues. And Bruno's investigations into possible 'granularity' in class D lead him to - magnetic issues (output filter coil). So that's the reason an amp designer and a speaker designer teamed up on the same issues ;-)

Edit: the reason for interest in small long stroke is of course because of the trend towards more compact speakers with adequate output levels.

Jan

Last edited by jan.didden; 7th July 2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 8th July 2019, 12:18 PM   #10
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
And Bruno's investigations into possible 'granularity' in class D lead him to - magnetic issues (output filter coil).
Yup, just like I have stated in the past that typical class D amplifier ferrite output inductors are noisy, I also stated that ferrite speaker magnets are noisy and I also stated that I have solution for this, ie Goop changes noise properties of such ferrites.

Dan.

Purifi Audio by Bruno Putzeys and friends.Hide this!Advertise here!