Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Purifi Audio by Bruno Putzeys and friends.
Purifi Audio by Bruno Putzeys and friends.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2019, 04:36 PM   #11
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

NAD have signed up to use Purify class D. So I guess they will slowly stop using Ncore
Old 8th July 2019, 06:52 PM   #12
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Not to split hairs, but it's Purifi ./..

Jan
Old 9th July 2019, 12:51 AM   #13
Monteverdi is offline Monteverdi  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
Why is long stroke good......large cone displacement causes doppler distortions does it not ?.

Dan.
Yes but smaller woofer sell! I prefer woofers with low crossover frequency
Two details from their website Transducers - Purifi I find interesting:
The surround has segments protruding forwards and some backwards. I wonder how that reduces distortions.
Low magnetic hysteresis does that mean an ironless motor assembly?

Last edited by Monteverdi; 9th July 2019 at 12:53 AM.
Old 9th July 2019, 01:10 AM   #14
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

What if the Doppler distortion is cancelled by the fact that the microphone is "dopplered" at the input of the process? Is there an argument that the long stroke exaggerates the relationship of the lows to the mids and highs on the diaphragm of the recording element?
Old 9th July 2019, 02:03 AM   #15
gabdx is offline gabdx  Canada
diyAudio Member

huh???

this driver is too good to be true, it breaks the best midrange record by far, it exceeds by at least 10 to 20db the resolution of the best driver out there, no cost barrier, down to the 100hz... this is amazing... this driver should be in all audiophile systems.

I want one!

the sensitivity is not good, teh Qms is very high, dynamic speakers... moving mass on the high side, high BL, quite a big magnet.
Old 9th July 2019, 02:56 AM   #16
Monteverdi is offline Monteverdi  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phivates View Post
What if the Doppler distortion is cancelled by the fact that the microphone is "dopplered" at the input of the process? Is there an argument that the long stroke exaggerates the relationship of the lows to the mids and highs on the diaphragm of the recording element?
Microphones have much less travel than a woofer so their doppler effect is minuscule compared to loudspeakers but yes theoretically it exists
Old 9th July 2019, 06:30 AM   #17
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

The doppler effect can be compensated up to some degree in active systems with a phase modulator between crossover and amp. There are lots of people who like small and clever systems and this market segment is probably the main target of this driver.

Personally I find such things interesting from a technical point of view. But I prefer speakers of the old-fashioned large format studio monitor type. There are things that small speakers do better and there are things that large speakers do better. If someone is in a situation where he can't make use of the dynamics and SPL capabilities of large speakers he might definitely be better off with a small and clever active speaker system.

Regards

Charles
Old 9th July 2019, 07:01 AM   #18
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monteverdi View Post
Two details from their website Transducers - Purifi I find interesting:
The surround has segments protruding forwards and some backwards. I wonder how that reduces distortions.
A normal surround changes its effective area when moving from the front to the rear and back. That means that the effective cone area changes as a function of excursion which of course means distortion.
The funny surround shape is designed to minimize this.

Jan
Old 9th July 2019, 07:12 AM   #19
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Surround is in itself is very nonlinear so i'd be tempted to make it with reversed radius and hide it under some ring - to let only the rigid part of the cone emit sound.
Old 9th July 2019, 07:18 AM   #20
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Not dissimilar to these Fostex FE108EΣ, which make a nice little workbench speaker or part of a bigger system. Good midband sound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fe1.jpg (139.0 KB, 555 views)
File Type: jpg fe2.jpg (157.4 KB, 527 views)

Purifi Audio by Bruno Putzeys and friends.Hide this!Advertise here!