Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Freq measurements and Hypex Filter Design adjustments
Freq measurements and Hypex Filter Design adjustments
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2019, 07:20 PM   #11
YSDR is offline YSDR  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draki View Post
That would be the acoustical slope. Important to distinguish from the electrical slope generated by the x/over. That could be anything, and most likely it will not be LR4 - but whatever sums up with the driver's natural roll-off to get the acoustical target.

Impossible to tell without measuring.

Troels crosses with electrical 2nd order to achieve 4th order acoustical high-pass: ATC-SM75-150
You are right, but if we talking about a DSP solution, as we did here, first you equalize the driver response to flat, then apply the desired filter slope and you get the exact acoustic response, be it BW2, LR4 or whatever.

Of course, you can combine the original acoustic slope of the driver with a DSP slope if you want.

Last edited by YSDR; 30th June 2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 30th June 2019, 07:27 PM   #12
Steve2111 is offline Steve2111
diyAudio Member

Are you familiar with Hypex Filter Design?
Old 30th June 2019, 07:29 PM   #13
YSDR is offline YSDR  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2111 View Post
Are you familiar with Hypex Filter Design?
Who?
Old 30th June 2019, 07:31 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

You. Denibeni. Because that is what I would like help with once I have taken the measurements
Old 30th June 2019, 08:38 PM   #15
Draki is offline Draki  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denibeni View Post
You are right, but if we talking about a DSP solution, as we did here, first you equalize the driver response to flat, then apply the desired filter slope and you get the exact acoustic response, be it BW2, LR4 or whatever.

Of course, you can combine the original acoustic slope of the driver with a DSP slope if you want.
EQ-ing low end of a mid driver to flat - a substantial lift at the lower frequencies - and then applying the 4th order HP filter is overdoing it. Yes the DSP can do it but it looks like the reason for doing it is because "it can".

A well behaved unit like the ATC here will (and it does) react well with a simple 2 order HP.

EQ-ing flat(tish) works well for the high end, i.e. for LP filters.

Above IMO of course, many ways to skin a cat.
Old 5th July 2019, 08:11 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default -freq-measurements-hypex-filter-design

OK just done nearfield measurements. Mic 0.5cm from dustcover. Was not able to mute mid and tweeter so some freqs slipped in? ASIO Control panel: sampling rate 48KHz Buffer size 1024
ImpulseGated.JPG

Gated1th.JPG

Gated24th.JPG

ImpulseNotGated.JPG

NotGated1th.JPG

NotGated24th.JPG
I have 1/1 smoothing and 1/24 smoothing. Gated apparently reliable above 100Hz Not gated apparently all reliable?? In all these mesurements the filters were not diasbled so this woofer had Low Pass LR4 at 500Hz
I don't understand these freq responses
Old 5th July 2019, 09:40 PM   #17
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2111 View Post
OK just done nearfield measurements. Mic 0.5cm from dustcover. Was not able to mute mid and tweeter so some freqs slipped in? I have 1/1 smoothing and 1/24 smoothing. Gated apparently reliable above 100Hz Not gated apparently all reliable?? In all these mesurements the filters were not diasbled so this woofer had Low Pass LR4 at 500Hz
I don't understand these freq responses
This is basically all wrong.

Disable all filters. Turn off all drivers except the one you are measuring. Then redo the nearfield measurement on each driver, one at a time. You should be able to use a pretty long window (or no gating at all). Use only 1/24th or 1/12th octave smoothing. Make sure to save BOTH amplitude (SPL) and phase data, minimum phase if possible, using the FRD file format if possible. Go back and check my tutorial if it is helpful.

You really only need to do this for the woofer, but it wouldn't hurt to do it on the midrange as well.

Last edited by CharlieLaub; 5th July 2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 6th July 2019, 09:27 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Freq measurements and Hypex Filter Design adjustments

I've done gated and not gated of only Woofer as per screenshoots attached. Also attach manufacturers graphs of tweeter mid and woofer responses. My measurement don't look that good?
Old 6th July 2019, 05:17 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I don't think images were uploaded
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImpGated.JPG (326.9 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg GatedOnlyWoofer24Smooth.JPG (298.8 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg ImpulseNoGateOnlyLeftWoofer.JPG (305.0 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg NoGateOnlyWoofer24Smooth.JPG (300.7 KB, 133 views)
Old 6th July 2019, 05:19 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Also include manufacturer's graphs

Freq measurements and Hypex Filter Design adjustmentsHide this!Advertise here!